anybody had oral cancer/surgery? (1 Viewer)

geoffspins

Limey Saint
Reaction score
I recently got diagnosed with cancer on the floor of my mouth. It's been caught early enough that it should only require an operation to clear it. However, the op is going to remove a couple of centimeters from my mouth and I wonder how speedy the recovery will be. Anybody been through or have experience of this?

Well, I just had my surgery Monday and returned home yesterday. The surgery was a success although am waiting for biopsy results to see if I need follow-up radiation therapy. When I'm not completely whacked out on pain meds it is pretty sore, and I'm having trouble swallowing because of the swelling. Hopefully I should be back to normal pretty soon. Thanks to all for your kind wishes and words of support. Geoff.

Last edited:
Goodluck with everything!

No. Good luck to you.

I just had neck surgery 4 weeks ago. It was a pain, but no comparison to your plight.

My imagantation ran wild....

sr2.jpg

Seriously though, good luck with it all.

I had throat cancer in 2005, I couldn't talk and could had a hard time breathing. I had four surgeries and just went for another check up and I'm good to go. We caught mine early too.

Good luck with everything.

Do either of yall dip? I dip a can of Rooster a day and my gums are badly receding. I have good teeth, but my mouth bleeds when I sleep. I am trying to quit, but I do get very much enjoyment out of my dip. One can last me 3 dips, and one day. I fill up from eyetooth to eyetooth, and the Rooster last me about 1.5-2hours, so I have a dip in my mouth anywhere from 4.5 to 6 hours a day. What are the symptoms of cancer in your mouth?

Do either of yall dip? I dip a can of Rooster a day and my gums are badly receding. I have good teeth, but my mouth bleeds when I sleep. I am trying to quit, but I do get very much enjoyment out of my dip. One can last me 3 dips, and one day. I fill up from eyetooth to eyetooth, and the Rooster last me about 1.5-2hours, so I have a dip in my mouth anywhere from 4.5 to 6 hours a day. What are the symptoms of cancer in your mouth?

Is that your kid? If so there's all the motivation in the world you could ever need to quit.

I don't have any idea of the symptoms of cancer in your mouth, but gums bleeding while you sleep certainly isn't a good sign of anything. 1st quit. Then go get that checked out ASAP, if not sooner.

What are the symptoms of cancer in your mouth?

What Can Chewing Tobacco Do to Me?
The more immediate effects can disrupt your social life: bad breath and yellowish-brown stains on your teeth. You'll also get mouth sores (about 70% of spit tobacco users have them). But, it gets a lot more serious than that. Consequences of chewing and spitting tobacco include:

cracking and bleeding lips and gums
receding gums, which can eventually make your teeth fall out
increased heart rate, high blood pressure, and irregular heartbeats, all leading to a greater risk of heart attacks and brain damage (from a stroke)
cancer
Oral cancer means cancer of the mouth and can happen in the lips, the tongue, the floor of the mouth, the roof of the mouth, the cheeks, or gums. It's been medically proven that long-time use of chewing tobacco can lead to cancer. But cancer from chewing tobacco doesn't just occur in the mouth. Some of the cancer-causing agents in the tobacco can get into the lining of your stomach, your esophagus, and into your bladder.

Whens the last time you saw a dentist?

Gums bleeding and receding are not a sign of good teeth.

And as JoeHornFan87 stated, if she's your daughter, that should be all the motivation you need.

I dip. I want to quit that habbit. Ive done it off an on for about 4 years now. I moniter everything atleast once a week. The problem with cancer from chewing tobacco is that it mostly will occur in your frontal region of your mouth. And once a symtom is present, it ussually always to late (im not talking death) but its to late because it will require surgery.

Facial disifugration causes the most depression of all cases.

edit, btw, 3 dips from 1 can is crazy. Ive lived in some deep red neck areas of this country for many years and ive never heard of just 3 dips out of 1 can.

Those dips must be very huge and cause immense pressure on your lips. If you cut those dips in half, I think those bedtime bleeds wouldn't be as severe.

I get roughly 8-12 dips out of a can, and a can lasts me 3-4 days typically.

i had a skin graft in my mouth to add gum to the bottom of my mouth when i was about 15.....they grafted the skin from the roof of my mouth.....it was a pretty miserable experience.....two days after the surgery, the area where the skin was removed started to bleed like a stuck pig.....

it was on the weekend so my parents took me to the ER...they tried about 4 different ways to stop the bleeding with no luck.....

finally, we were able to get in touch with the oral surgeon and met him at his office at around midnight where he was able to stop the bleeding.......

i am not sure how much skin was removed, but IIRC, it took a couple of weeks to fully heal......

I third the notion about quitting for the sake of your daughter. Do you really get THAT much enjoyment out of a dip? Nothing could give me enjoyment anywhere in the ballpark of spending time with my son.

Eat sunflower seeds.

Edit: GOOD LUCK GEOFF!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom