Anybody here ever replace a piece of hardwood floor? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sold the house and need to replace some hardwood floor planks. This is the engineered stuff with tongue and groove and was nailed in.

I figure it can't be that hard to cut an existing piece down the middle and do what it takes to get the piece out without damaging the neighboring pieces. Then I would take a saw or tool (remel?) and cut the bottom of the groove side out of a new piece on two sides. Then glue and drop into place.

Am I missing something? Not quick or easy, but doable, right?

Appreciate anyone responding who has tried this, thanks.

yep...cut in the middle of the plank. Get bad piece out cut grove off "new" piece and glue in place. Easier said then done...go slow and dont rush.

Unless its chipped or cracked see if you could hide the damage with refinisher. Prior to selling my old house, I laid on the floor with 3 colors of "stain markers" and redrew the grain on a water stain. Looked so good I wish i had done it earlier.

Bear in mind I had the tools and wasnt afraid of wood working...I just dint want to screw up more of a section than what was already screwed up. GO SLOW.

yep, easier said than done... you'll have to make it a tight fit.. or you'll see gaps.
you'll probably also have to refinish the entire area, to make the poly finish even.

I widened a door and had to add some pieces in. Did it just about like you said. I can tell though since the finish is exactly the same but it is a floor not furniture so until the entire floors are resanded / finished it is fine.

Thanks for the confirmation on concept.

My floor is prefinished so it should look fine enough once done. The pieces I am taking out got obvious round dents in them.

The markers do work well though for surface defects.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom