Anybody mess with drones? (1 Viewer)

any recommendations on an image hosting site?? seems the pics from the drone are too large to post here

I am an old construction and hydrographic survey guy. I do estimating for earthwork now and even build 3d site models that go in our bulldozers gps system. We build ponds, roads, etc without using survey stakes. I have done some survey work with a friends drone and tied them in to land control for accurate volume calculations. Lots of stuff going on with that, flight areas can be tough, we are in the washington DC/ Baltimore area. Lots of restricted areas...yikes!!!!

has anyone bought directly from DJI??

wondering if i should go that route or just buy from Amazon

I have. Amazon is fine ad long as it states in the description that that its being sold directly from DJI and not a 3rd party retailer. I say that in case you have any warranty concerns or issues.

Best Buy and Wal-Mart are good DJI alternatives as well.

it’s the Mavic Air 2. So, yes :hihi:

Nice. I am still on the fence what to do with mine. Flew it the other day. Still fun, but I definitely don't take it out as much as I thought I would.

Nice. I am still on the fence what to do with mine. Flew it the other day. Still fun, but I definitely don't take it out as much as I thought I would.

The company i work for paid for me to get certified a couple of years ago so we can get video and pics for marketing. I was using a Phantom for a while but i wanted something better. And now i am just going to make a hobby out of it so i have something besides video games :)

The company i work for paid for me to get certified a couple of years ago so we can get video and pics for marketing. I was using a Phantom for a while but i wanted something better. And now i am just going to make a hobby out of it so i have something besides video games :)

Well, drones are the next step from video games. :hihi: I'd love to take that on as a hobby as well, but considering I'm in the DC area with all of it's restrictions, I'm not sure I can afford it.

Well, drones are the next step from video games. :hihi: I'd love to take that on as a hobby as well, but considering I'm in the DC area with all of it's restrictions, I'm not sure I can afford it.

i am kind of sandwiched in between two airports here in Metairie and it's pretty densely populated so i don't have a ton of places to fly locally for fun...but there is the Bonnet Carre spillway about 20 minutes from here that is a huge wide open area....

i am kind of sandwiched in between two airports here in Metairie and it's pretty densely populated so i don't have a ton of places to fly locally for fun...but there is the Bonnet Carre spillway about 20 minutes from here that is a huge wide open area....

Yeah, the Spillway seems like a great place to fly a drone without having to worry about other things getting in the way. I'd probably have to drive an hour west or south to get to more open spaces, although due west puts me in some hilly/mountain areas. Probably could drive a bit further south. Would be fun flying drones over some of the old Civil War battlefields here. Idk if that's allowed, but i don't see why not.

its something I would love to learn more about. what are some good starter drones? what do you need to know to begin?

its something I would love to learn more about. what are some good starter drones? what do you need to know to begin?

it really depends on what you want to do with them...do you want full control or something that practically flies itself? Do you want to take pictures or video?

there are some cheap drones on Amazon that are probably good for starting out but they will be pretty limited on features...I had a Syma a few years ago that was fun but it was squirrelly as hell and the camera on it was garbage...i think they have gotten a little better since then

beyond that, you are looking at spending a few hundred bucks on something that has a decent camera and cool features...

The one I mentioned in the first post is a good starter drone. Lots of features at a good price

If you are thinking about getting a drone, do yourself a favor and download the B4UFLY app. It is put out by the FAA and it will show you any restrictions for the area you are in. It’s a great tool for remaining legal when you fly and will let you know if there is a TFR for an area that would otherwise be ok to fly.
As a general rule, any place designated as a national park is a no fly zone.

Saw a Hubsan ZINO PRO drone for sale at Banggood the other day for $315 shipped. Just an FYI for those who may be looking for something comparable to DJI products but without the sticker shock.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom