Anybody read about this? (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
another example of a crazed parent and youth sports, only this time the parent is the boss
====================================================================

N.Va. Boys' Championship Dream Doomed by a Moment of Vengeance

By Timothy Dwyer
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, November 4, 2006; Page A01

The South County Raptors, a scrappy football team made up of 12- to 14-year-old boys from southern Fairfax County, were supposed to meet the Herndon Hornets today in the first round of the county playoffs.

Instead, the Raptors are at home, their season over with no possibility of a championship after a league commissioner fired the head coach and the assistant coach this week. Their offense? They moved the commissioner's son from defense to offense for the final game of the season last Saturday, an overtime win that put the Raptors in the postseason.

"Scott does not sit out on defense -- ever," the commissioner, Dan Hinkle, had warned the head coach, James Owens, in an e-mail sent before the season began about how he should play Hinkle's son, 12. On defense, the father said, "he goes in and stays in. That includes all practices, scrimmages and games. This entire league exists so he can play defense on the best team in his weight class. . . . He is my son, I own the league, and he plays every snap on defense."..................

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/03/AR2006110301819.html

Tee-ball coach charged in assault
Arranged attack to sideline autistic player, police say

Saturday, July 16, 2005
By Moustafa Ayad, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A Fayette County tee-ball coach was arraigned on felony charges yesterday that he bribed a 7-year-old player to throw a baseball at a mentally disabled teammate's face to keep the boy out of a game.

State police said Mark Downs Jr., 27, of Dunbar, offered his star player $25 on June 27 to hit an 8-year-old autistic child with a baseball because he wanted to win the game.

"Just when you thought you had seen everything," said state Trooper Thomas B. Broadwater.

Downs' lawyer, Thomas Shaffer, said his client denies the charges.

"He has two children of his own," said Shaffer. "He could never do this."

Police said Downs asked player Keith Reese to hurt Harry Bowers, who is autistic. Reese threw a ball that hit Bowers in the left ear while they were warming up before a game. After Bowers didn't go down, Reese hit the child in the groin with the ball, police said.

When Bowers ran to tell the coach about the attack, Downs suggested that he sit out the game, police said.

When Jennifer Bowers, the boy's mother, confronted Reese about the deliberate throws, Reese told her the coach had asked him to hurt Bowers, police said. The boy was taken to an emergency room, where he was treated for swollen red marks on his ear and groin.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05197/539043.stm

Simply amazing how parents have to be so competitive even through their children.

Optimus your article reminds me of the "bad news bears" father. I just know when my son plays baseball how I can even get. I have to keep myself in check sometimes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom