anybody surprised by the lack of receptions by the runningbacks? (1 Viewer)

Guess we haven't needed them yet this season

Our WRs are catching nearly everything that touches their gloves...
Shockey is filling the release valve role and making those catches...
RBs are getting the 4-7 yards per rush on the ground for those 2nd & shorts....

I'd like to see Reggie on some deeper throws.....but we just don't need it right now with the depth at WR.

I just think there were more plays downfield and Brees hasnt had to check it down, we still run the swing pass to the flat, but I think its just how the games have been going...receivers are making plays.

I think it's a combination of how effective the offense has been playing in the run game and the downfield passing game that the design pass plays to RBs and checkdowns to RBs are unnecessary.

Plus, given how well the defense is playing this season, I'm sure the gameplan is to extend the game out so that each team gets closer to 12 possessions per game instead of 8-ish. A lesser team can stay close and have a chance to upset the better team with fewer possessions in a game whereas the better team should win with more chances to score. Saints games have been close to 4 hours this season with all these change of possession time outs.

Dude I swear I believe Drew's first read on all pass plays (that's not a designed screen or swing pass) is the long ball. I was telling my Step-father this a couple weeks ago... I notice that when Drew drops back he looks deep first, and if its "there" then he takes his shot, and when its not he comes off that first read then go thru his progressions.

The Saints passing game looks to throw the spear thru the defense's heart.

The deep pass opens everything up underneath completed or not. If the DBs are worried about getting burned deep they tend to bite on stop routes. Their cushions get bigger. The Giants DBs were clearly trying to keep everything in front of them, limit the bleeding. Brees might not have always hooked up on the long ball but the Giants clearly got the message. You think Colston running wild in the "dead zone" between the CBs and S was by accident?

I love this team. How do you defend it? Start the game in nickel, play Tampa 2, and hope Payton doesn't unleash PT/Bell on you (like the Bills). Or do you play base then hope and pray Brees has a bad game like Philly (had the #1 Defense) and Giants (had the #1 Defense) did? This team is a matchup nightmare. Then you add Gregg Williams opportunistic Defense that will fight you for every yard and then make you make a mistake giving the ball back to Brees and the Offense...... .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom