anybody surprised by the lack of receptions by the runningbacks? (1 Viewer)

diat150

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
so far all of our rb's (including evans) have only 29 receptions. since bush arrived he has had more than that by himself in the last 3 years thru 5 games. Payton seems to have changed his philosopy regarding this, either that or teams or playing it differently. I do notice thomas and bush open alot in the flats but drew doesnt seem to look that way as much.

We tried them the last few games and Brees and Bush were having a hard time connecting. It was such a predictable part of our offense that defenses were more than ready for it.

We are still putting the RB's in the flats for checkdowns, Brees just doesn't have to now that Shockey has opened up the middle of the field for himself and the other WR's.

I dont think its a concern...I will say they Key very heavily on the RB screens, etc when Bush is in the game.....which does allow the down field 1 on 1 coverage to be there....

Drew's definantly looking downfield more, with a full and healthy compliment of wide receivers and tight ends....really for the first time in New Orleans (first time he's had 4 WRs and 2 TEs he likes and trusts consistently on the field). I think we're keeping them in more in pass protection then we normally do however as well.

I don't know for a fact but I suspect with the loss of Brown we are keeping the RB's in to protect more often than in the past.

Couple of reasons -

Passes to the backs out of the backfield had basically been the Saints short yardage run game. The team can now pick up those yards on the ground so there's no reason to try a short pass to a back.

Payton changing things up, keeping the O unpredictable. The Saints had become a little predictable with swing passes to Bush or the RBs in the flat. It's still there if they need it but no reason to over use it. Heath Evans has been the receiving outlet of the backfield.

im not complaining. In the past I have stated that we were doing it too much. I just found it surprising considering that we have done it so much in the past.

Brees' checkdowns are now 40-50 yard bombs.

The checkdowns do seem to be deeper than they are supposed to be (for checkdowns that is). If Brees has the time, he's looking deep. I think we all realize that he did it so much yesterday because of the DB situation for the Giants, but when there's opportunity, he takes it.

If the right defense comes up, Brees will use the RB's. Pierre is very
dangerous in space, and Reggie isn't bad himself, so they're weapons
that will be used again.

i think its more of that since it was such a staple of the offense that it seems that they pull someone out of position which opens up a lane down field..... i know i saw reggie open in the flats or the middle of the field and it seemed he had a whole lotta eyes on him.... then BOOM big gain

Dude I swear I believe Drew's first read on all pass plays (that's not a designed screen or swing pass) is the long ball. I was telling my Step-father this a couple weeks ago... I notice that when Drew drops back he looks deep first, and if its "there" then he takes his shot, and when its not he comes off that first read then go thru his progressions.

The Saints passing game looks to throw the spear thru the defense's heart.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom