Anyone doing anything? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Texas sucks. I miss public lands and am jonesing for some outdoor adventure...

Since moving to Colorado, I pretty much head up to the mountains every weekend. We’ve been doing a lot of snow wheelin’ lately.
50822346857_50cda717d8_b.jpg

MLU. what exactly are you lookin to do? Just last weekend there was a "mud hole" convention near Huntsville, lots of people in 4x4s trying to get through ridiculous mud holes. Apparently there was a heart attack, somebody got shot and some fightin'... can't say if any of those were directly related to each other, but it sounds like a lively time. This info was given to me and so it's at least 3rd hand, take it for what it's worth....

Just need to get some fresh air in my lungs in a location where there are no manmade structures in my sightlines. I might try to find a warmer spot this coming weekend and do a little camping and hiking. Nothing too strenuous as I'm still trying to build my lung capacity back.

MLU. what exactly are you lookin to do? Just last weekend there was a "mud hole" convention near Huntsville, lots of people in 4x4s trying to get through ridiculous mud holes. Apparently there was a heart attack, somebody got shot and some fightin'... can't say if any of those were directly related to each other, but it sounds like a lively time. This info was given to me and so it's at least 3rd hand, take it for what it's worth....
All you needed was a wedding to start it off and the Dothraki would have been iimpressed.

Yeah, this weekend is one you might want to stay inside and keep warm... As of a couple hours ago, they were predicting mid-teen temps on Monday morning in Houston. I'm from south of I-10....anything below 60degF better be coming from the fridge and wrapped with koozie.

One of my guys is in Calgary... -25degF air temp there today...

Last edited:
Just need to get some fresh air in my lungs in a location where there are no manmade structures in my sightlines. I might try to find a warmer spot this coming weekend and do a little camping and hiking. Nothing too strenuous as I'm still trying to build my lung capacity back.
Seriously? You’re in Texas and can’t find a location without manmade structures? Here’s a tip: follow the highway to outside city limits. Texas has some of the most beautiful National Parks in the country. Literally hundreds of places to camp and hike.

Seriously? You’re in Texas and can’t find a location without manmade structures? Here’s a tip: follow the highway to outside city limits. Texas has some of the most beautiful National Parks in the country. Literally hundreds of places to camp and hike.
This tells me you haven't seen much of the country. Lol

Sure, I can drive for 10 hours in any direction and see nothing, but that's not public lands, man. There are like actual two national parks in Texas for camping, hiking, etc and a few state parks. It really pales in comparison to what's out west within 5-6 hours of PHX.

This tells me you haven't seen much of the country. Lol

Sure, I can drive for 10 hours in any direction and see nothing, but that's not public lands, man. There are like actual two national parks in Texas for camping, hiking, etc and a few state parks. It really pales in comparison to what's out west within 5-6 hours of PHX.
There are 2 national parks, 16 national park sites, and over 90 state parks. You started this thread griping about no outdoor adventure in Texas. That’s like standing in downtown New Orleans and saying there’s no good restaurants to eat at.

There are 2 national parks, 16 national park sites, and over 90 state parks. You started this thread griping about no outdoor adventure in Texas. That’s like standing in downtown New Orleans and saying there’s no good restaurants to eat at.
I'm well aware of all of this. I've been looking at all of it for over a year now and it's nothing like out west, which is my comparison. I'm used to Zion, the Grand Canyon, the Wave, slot canyons, etc. There are some nice areas in Texas for sure, but they are few and far between and nothing that compares to those examples I gave. There's not much interesting about flat land, which relegates me to driving past San Antonio. It's mountains I miss most, probably.

Your analogy is terrible. You compared a near privately owned, mostly flat, barren state with one of maybe 10 true, world class, culturally significant cities in the world. Texas would be Stockton, CA, not New Orleans.

I'm well aware of all of this. I've been looking at all of it for over a year now and it's nothing like out west, which is my comparison. I'm used to Zion, the Grand Canyon, the Wave, slot canyons, etc. There are some nice areas in Texas for sure, but they are few and far between and nothing that compares to those examples I gave. There's not much interesting about flat land, which relegates me to driving past San Antonio. It's mountains I miss most, probably.

Your analogy is terrible. You compared a near privately owned, mostly flat, barren state with one of maybe 10 true, world class, culturally significant cities in the world. Texas would be Stockton, CA, not New Orleans.
You said there are a few state parks in Texas. 90 is more than a few.
Mostly flat, barren state? There are 8000 foot peaks in the western part of the state. The hill country north and west of San Antonio is downright beautiful. Great camping and hiking. Right outside Austin has beautiful hills and lakes also. Do you live around Dallas? Because that city and that part of the state does suck. You can also get to the hill country in 4-5 hours from Dallas.

Last edited:
Movers remorse?
For the short term, probably. Lol I wasn't looking forward to Texas, but I figured that could look past it for the money. I also figured I could still find some opportunities form outdoors stuff, but they're significantly limited by comparison. Currently on furlough, so even more time on my hands not hiking and camping. Lol

Where in Texas did you move? DFW?

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom