Anyone else a stadium nerd? (2 Viewers)

I do it, but with racetracks. At least a drive-by. If I'm by myself I'll hop out and walk around.
That's interesting. Are you aware of or do you know about the famous ESPN College Football Game day show and night-time game at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2017 between Penn State and IIRC, Tennessee which set I believe, an all-time college football record attendence of over 100,000 fans? The people who showed up for the game got their monies worth, because Penn St. won the game on a last-second 4th and goal TD pass from Nittany Lions QB(he was drafted in 2019 by Ravens as a WR, to then Penn State All-American, and future New York Giant All-Pro RB, Saquon Barkley. Penn St. had a great, late-game heroic game-winning drive where they went 80 yards in like less than 3:00 minutes to win it at the end.

I'm curious about the new stadium in Los Angeles, also the one in Atlanta; Amazed about design and budgets.

This one always gives me chills.

1626845932890.png

1626845946674.png
Curious thing about the ancient Roman Coliseum is that its design, blueprints laid out were made by Vespasian, the Roman emperor who never lived to see it fully completed and opened.but was finally finished by his son, Titus. The Roman Coliseum first ever major event gladatioral event actually ended up being so good, so bitterly contested and was so entertaining that the two, main gladiators impressed Titus that he ordered his Pretorian Guards to stop the main event and declare both men champions and rewarded both their freedom.

Many of the early Christian martyrs, probably including Apostles Paul and Peter, were killed during Nero's city-wide only edict against Christians supposedly as scapegoats for deflecting blame on to them for starting the Great Fire of Rome in 64 C.E. Many of these martyrs werent killed in the Colisseum, but in the Circus Maximus, a hippodrome (converted imperial race track sometimes used for gladatioral, musical/opera performances or contests. Also, it's been alleged and proposed that Nero probably had a few high-ranking, influential Roman Jews murdered, killed and crucified because he was retaliating and lashing out at Rome's significant Jewish community after the start of First Roman-Jewish War of 66-74 C.E rebellion broke out after a corrupt, greedy brutal Roman procurator pushed and alienated too many of the Jewish Sanhedrin priestly hierarchy and radical Zealot groups in Jerusalem a bit too far and Roman troops invaded the Temple grounds, causing a huge revolt. Also, during its first century of existence, Christianity remained mostly a Jewish offshoot religion that the Romans viewed with suspicion and others as a murderous, cannibalistic "mystery religion", or cult. Until around mid-2nd century C.E. most individual Christians viewed themselves as being as much Jewish then being apart of a separate, distinct religion.

Curious thing about the ancient Roman Coliseum is that its design, blueprints laid out were made by Vespasian, the Roman emperor who never lived to see it fully completed and opened.but was finally finished by his son, Titus. The Roman Coliseum first ever major event gladatioral event actually ended up being so good, so bitterly contested and was so entertaining that the two, main gladiators impressed Titus that he ordered his Pretorian Guards to stop the main event and declare both men champions and rewarded both their freedom.

Many of the early Christian martyrs, probably including Apostles Paul and Peter, were killed during Nero's city-wide only edict against Christians supposedly as scapegoats for deflecting blame on to them for starting the Great Fire of Rome in 64 C.E. Many of these martyrs werent killed in the Colisseum, but in the Circus Maximus, a hippodrome (converted imperial race track sometimes used for gladatioral, musical/opera performances or contests. Also, it's been alleged and proposed that Nero probably had a few high-ranking, influential Roman Jews murdered, killed and crucified because he was retaliating and lashing out at Rome's significant Jewish community after the start of First Roman-Jewish War of 66-74 C.E rebellion broke out after a corrupt, greedy brutal Roman procurator pushed and alienated too many of the Jewish Sanhedrin priestly hierarchy and radical Zealot groups in Jerusalem a bit too far and Roman troops invaded the Temple grounds, causing a huge revolt. Also, during its first century of existence, Christianity remained mostly a Jewish offshoot religion that the Romans viewed with suspicion and others as a murderous, cannibalistic "mystery religion", or cult. Until around mid-2nd century C.E. most individual Christians viewed themselves as being as much Jewish then being apart of a separate, distinct religion.
I went to visit the Colliseum a few years back and it was truly amazing. I'm sad to say that after going there it's such a disappointment going to circus maximus....you get all excited thinking you're going to see the whole Ben Hur experience...and it's actually quite a disappointing field with a slightly raised bump and a (very) few crumbling walls on one end. :)

I went to visit the Colliseum a few years back and it was truly amazing. I'm sad to say that after going there it's such a disappointment going to circus maximus....you get all excited thinking you're going to see the whole Ben Hur experience...and it's actually quite a disappointing field with a slightly raised bump and a (very) few crumbling walls on one end. :)
same with circus maximus - stunning in its ordinariness

Colliseum, otoh, holds a special place
one of the favorite pieces i've ever performed - Circle Walker - was one of the first pieces to perform when they reopened the coliseum
it was a few years before i'd joined the company, but i performed on the apparatus that performed in a 2000 yr old venue

1626872558549.png

That's interesting. Are you aware of or do you know about the famous ESPN College Football Game day show and night-time game at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2017 between Penn State and IIRC, Tennessee which set I believe, an all-time college football record attendence of over 100,000 fans? The people who showed up for the game got their monies worth, because Penn St. won the game on a last-second 4th and goal TD pass from Nittany Lions QB(he was drafted in 2019 by Ravens as a WR, to then Penn State All-American, and future New York Giant All-Pro RB, Saquon Barkley. Penn St. had a great, late-game heroic game-winning drive where they went 80 yards in like less than 3:00 minutes to win it at the end.

I remember when Tennessee played Virginia Tech at Bristol but I don’t think it went down to the wire. I wasn’t aware they played a second game game there.

I have looked at all of the NFL stadiums and many college ones on Google earth view.
Does that count?

Definite stadium nerd here.

On a mission to make it to all of the NFL (and I guess MLB) stadiums. Made it to about half of each. But other than a select few, they're pretty homogenous.

Like you said, some of the most interesting ones are the smaller colleges, particularly the older ones (Ivy League mostly). They were the first schools to have football, and never had much of a need to renovate, so they're still mostly intact (Harvard Stadiums football field still isn't regulation size)

Here are the Eagles back in the day at Franklin Field (still there, but only Penn football plays there)
1626893657143.png

Bears in the original Soldier Field
1626893912326.png

Superdome deserves a lot of credit architecturally. Its harder than it looks to fit all the functions a stadium needs into a perfectly symmetrical circle, not to mention all the upgrades over 50 years. No other stadium has been able to evolve so much without sacrificing its original iconic form.

Kinda like what Geldo was mentioning- I would actually like to visit some of the more architecturally interesting soccer stadiums in Europe
Drop me a note when you’re in the UK mate. I’d be delighted to take you to Liverpool. You can go to the middle of Stanley Park and be less than half a mile away from Everton’s ground at Gladwys Street and Liverpool’s at Anfield road….
The best thing is not the stadiums but the murals that have popped up on the streets nearby…plus the very moving memorial to the 96 fans killed at Hillsborough which is genuinely very emotional…
AD7F0E96-B47D-4F08-BB97-BCAD39BA5F91.jpeg

Drop me a note when you’re in the UK mate. I’d be delighted to take you to Liverpool. You can go to the middle of Stanley Park and be less than half a mile away from Everton’s ground at Gladwys Street and Liverpool’s at Anfield road….
The best thing is not the stadiums but the murals that have popped up on the streets nearby…plus the very moving memorial to the 96 fans killed at Hillsborough which is genuinely very emotional…
AD7F0E96-B47D-4F08-BB97-BCAD39BA5F91.jpeg
Any chance we could scoot by Manchester and try to storm Old Traff?
That looked like fun

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom