Anyone else completely disappointed by Dreamgirls? (1 Viewer)

Broadmoor74

Yeah you rite
Reaction score
Louisiana...the greatest 3rd world country in the
My girlfriend had been hounding me to go see this movie. She's a big American Idol fan so she totally wanted to see Jennifer Hudson. I said ok, because I like music and I had heard nothing but good things about this movie. Plus, I think Eddie Murphy is greatness.

And a half hour into it, I couldn't wait for it to end. At the point where they're having a sing-song argument about half-way through the thing, I decided that I was better off killing myself. But because I didn't have a weapon or a razor or a rope or anything, I thought maybe I could get out of that place by yelling "Fire!" in the theater. Then, I remembered that that's illegal and I don't want to do time.

So anyways, the movied finally ends after what seems like 14 hours. Everyone in the audience starts giving the two dimensional screen a standing ovation. I thought it was one of the worst films I had ever seen in a theater.

Am I alone?

What did your girlfriend think?

Everything I have heard about it has been good, but that has all been from females.

Maybe, it's just not appealing to guys?

i cringe at asking if it was worse than Moulin Rouge. that movie made me want to gnaw off my own ears. i am presuming since you are alive to tell about Dreamgirls, that you did not witness the horror of Moulin Rouge.

There's nothing about Dreamgirls which looked interesting to me. i had seen the traveling production at the Saenger when i was a child. just another musical.

Is it true that it's a musical and the characters bust out into song in the middle of a scene? I despise those and I thank you for warning me!

My girlfriend loved it and has been calling all her girlfriends raving about it.

I did not see Moulin Rouge in the theater, but watched it on DVD or TV or something and hated that one too.

The thing is, i'm pretty open minded about movies. I just couldn't understand how anyone could enjoy this. Eddie Murphy WAS really good in it though.

But the songs were not good. The singing was too over-the-top. The story was completely predictable and unimaginative: Think Motown story. It was too long: about two hours.

And YES, they randomly break out in song in true musical fashion. They have arguments and whatnot IN SONG! I realize that this is the point of a musical, but I didn't know this going in. I thought it was going to be a lot like the Ray Charles movie....just a lot of good music in it.

So it is a musical, and it is about some naive musicians who hit it big and then suffer from all that comes with fame?
I'll pass.

I absolutely hated Chicago. Luckily so did my wife. Now I just have to say the word "musical" in the video store and she puts the dvd down.

I absolutely hated Chicago. Luckily so did my wife. Now I just have to say the word "musical" in the video store and she puts the dvd down.

QFT.

I HATED Chicago and musicals usually kill is for me. Except the musical part in Team America World Police Rent section. That was straight cash $$.

Musicals are for women and gay men. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

:plus-un2:

I have always thought Catherine Zeta Jones was smokin' hot, but I couldn't sit through 5 mins of this movie.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom