Anyone else curious about the rumors of cash-flow probs for the Broncos? (1 Viewer)

Rum

All-Pro
Reaction score
Anyone else curious about the rumors of cash-flow probs for the Broncos?

Personally? No. Sports wise? Not really. Shanny and krewe know how to work those late draft picks into the starting line up.

Is there something else with this cash flow issue that I don't know about?

I am curious. Stated on roto that they had to lay off several employee's so that sounds pretty serious. Couldn't even keep their web master, yikes, lol. Their water boys better be careful at the start of mini camp or they could be next. Sorry about that, just some Friday "I am bored" humor.

No idea as to rumors and finances of Denver organization. For all I know, Denver financially could be doing super.

But the suggestion of problems underscores how fortunate Benson is that he does not have debt. Build a new stadium, put some of your money in it, and you need major revenue to cover the high bills.

Benson & Bowlen mentioned together is a slippery slope man. Bowlen financed the new stadium for the Broncos basically by himself.

Benson demands the state subsidize the team to the tune of 180million dollars.

Since Bowlen financed the stadium on his own, I can't believe that he is running short on cash.

Maybe Benson is much smarter than he appears? Maybe a new stadium isn't all that it's cracked up to be?

I don't mean to repeat the point previously made, but Tom Benson as Saints owner has no debt. He made a super deal for the team in 1985, basically paying 8-10 percent of what the team is currently worth, and then bought out the minority owners. Now, he did take a chance--my memory is at the time there was the USFL antitrust suit against the league that almost proved successful.

But his lack of debt puts Benson in a different--and in some ways better--position than some of his fellow owners who are dependent on a great revenue stream to service their debt.

I highly doubt that Denver is in too much trouble. Let's not forget the revenue an NFL owner makes (even in a bad year), they aren't exactly poor. Some of the most successful businesses make cuts from time to time just to maximize profits.

Sometimes I think a new stadium would be really nice, but other times I feel nostalgic about the Superdome. I was born in New Orleans, but I grew up in California and the only thing I can remember as a child is the Superdome.

Mike Shannahan has done a terrible job. I do not see this team turning a corner and believe they will have another mediocre year. After firing everyone he could have blamed the last few years, there is no one left. I think after this year, he will no longer be coach of the Denver Broncos.

Personally I think the GM was making it RAIN with the company funds

;)

Mike Shannahan has done a terrible job. I do not see this team turning a corner and believe they will have another mediocre year. After firing everyone he could have blamed the last few years, there is no one left. I think after this year, he will no longer be coach of the Denver Broncos.

I don't think NFL owners make as much from owning a team as people think. Many NFL owners buy the teams not to make money, but to have a crowning jewel of their success in other businesses. There have been several articles about how teams ran at a loss because the owners kept throwing money at players and events to make the team more prestigious.

I don't think NFL owners make as much from owning a team as people think. Many NFL owners buy the teams not to make money, but to have a crowning jewel of their success in other businesses. There have been several articles about how teams ran at a loss because the owners kept throwing money at players and events to make the team more prestigious.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the concept of wealth.

Tom Benson bought the Saints, watched his investment grow 10 fold over a 20 year period, and has utilized his subsequent wealth to borrow against to finance other ventures which are now worth more than the price he originally paid for the team itself.

Jerry Jones bough the Cowboys with mostly borrowed money for $150 mil in 1989. The team is now worth about $1.5 billion, and will climb to well over $2 billion when their stadium is completed.

Each went from being very rich to entrenching their families in wealth for generations and generations. 6 generations down the road, each of their descendants will be born with enough in the trust fund to never work a day in their lives and STILL have enough to pay for their kids to have the same lifestyle when they come of age.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom