Anyone Else Excited? (1 Viewer)

I am. Change can be good. There are things about Payton I will miss and things I won't. I will not miss some of his odd play calling or the lack of urgency as the Saints went to the line of scrimmage. He will be missed and I am grateful for everything he gave us.
The challenges. It's definitely the challenges I won't miss. He is not good with the red flag.

Zack summed it up for me: we won't be improving. It was the same sentiment for the last couple of years arguing in favor of Brees and his arm. Don't care how far the new guy can throw it, he's not going to be better than Drew Brees.

I know how to look on the bright side of things (on occasion), but it's been one thing after another. Hit after hit after hit. I don't think the football gods are finished slapping us around. So not excited but kinda anxious as I wait for the next blow.

Initially with the shock of Payton stepping down and some time passing to better process the uncertainties of the Saints going forward. This is a new position for the Saints to be in. Never before has a Saints head coach been replaced following a winning season so a complete gut is probably not in the cards. The ship isn’t sunk just needs some holes patched. The biggest holes being the next head coach and a starting quarterback.

Dennis Allen will probably be elevated to the head coach keeping the continuity intact. Allen didn’t exactly light it up in Oakland as their HC compiling an 8-28 record over three seasons. For comparison Bill Belichick in Cleveland had a 36-44 over five seasons before going to New England and making history. Albeit better but still a looser. Under Allen, the Saints have routinely had one of the top defenses in the entire NFL. In 2021, they were the No. 3. I realize some coaches excel as coordinators but never pan out as the top guy. Only time will tell.

As for the next QB it’s more wide open. This draft doesn’t look like a deep pool loaded with QB talent and might be a reach to select one in the first. This leaves signing a stopgap veteran and hoping for the best or going all in with Winston. Whether Winston will resign now with Payton gone is the question. The needs this season are even more pressing with several decent teams also needing a signal caller, Pittsburgh and possibly Tampa coming to mind, and the usual bottom dwellers who are always searching. This will drive up the demand for his services being even more coveted. Make an offer and lock Jameis up before he’s gone.

Just some ponderings from an old Saints fan………

I know it’s strange to be excited once your HOF coach and QB retire within the span of two years, but I’m still strangely excited for this team. They’re still talented and won’t be starting from the bottom. The division is weak, especially if Brady retires.
I trust Loomis to find the right coach. And if it’s Allen, Pederson, Bienemy, or even someone we don’t know at this moment, if Loomis pulls this off, the Saints won’t have to go through this process until 2038!
Excited? You can't be serious.

I just simply can't get the thought of Sean Payton smiling and arm slapping his coaches and players out of excitement when they score a TD...In a Dallas Jacket (or any other team) and headset, screaming "Hey, Let's Go!"

I hate it.

You've seen it before from our sidelines. That fire.

Nope, not excited. At-least not now. That's where I'm at currently.

The Fork we ever do to you, Sean?

When Brees retired, I was hella sad. However, I knew coach Payton was still here, so I wasn't as sad.

Not at all lol. When Brees retired I was excited, but Payton leaving has me depressed.

There's obviously a lot of room for a new coach and OC to come in here and work on this offense. Payton was an exceptional strategist and play-caller, but the offense has to be addressed. Even if it's Carmichael taking over, we shouldn't just assume he's in lockstep with every decision Payton made, or won't have his own eye for talent and how to develop players. Might work, might not. Payton is an offensive genius but many other coaches around the league are flourishing. Success doesn't begin and end with him.

It's possible that we end up with a coaching staff that can't replicate the offensive prowess but is more successful in establishing balance and complementary three phase football, something Payton's teams often struggled with.

None of that is to disparage him but it's unrealistic to look back and think it was all perfect, or look ahead and decide it can only be doom and gloom.

Nine different teams have won a Super Bowl since the Saints. Other systems and approaches work, too.

There's obviously a lot of room for a new coach and OC to come in here and work on this offense. Payton was an exceptional strategist and play-caller, but the offense has to be addressed. Even if it's Carmichael taking over, we shouldn't just assume he's in lockstep with every decision Payton made, or won't have his own eye for talent and how to develop players. Might work, might not. Payton is an offensive genius buy plenty of other coaches around the league are flourishing. Success doesn't begin and end with him.

It's possible that we end up with a coaching staff that can't replicate the offensive prowess but is more successful in establishing balance and complementary three phase football, something Payton's teams often struggled with.

None of that is to disparage him but it's unrealistic to look back and think it was all perfect, or look ahead and decide it can only be doom and gloom.

Nine different teams have won a Super Bowl since the Saints. Other systems and approaches work, too.
I don't know that he was exceptional. How many times has he tried to be cute and pass or run in dumb situations? There were some amazing ballsy calls he has made that were amazing but I always felt at least once a game that he was making a dumb call. Almost like a kid with a Madden game.

I don't know that he was exceptional. How many times has he tried to be cute and pass or run in dumb situations? There were some amazing ballsy calls he has made that were amazing but I always felt at least once a game that he was making a dumb call. Almost like a kid with a Madden game.

Every play-caller gets some wrong and every offense stumbles. It's a chess game and you're hoping to outsmart the guy on the other side of the field. You don't accomplish what Payton did here on the offensive side of the ball if you aren't exceptional - from identifying and developing the right players to putting them in position to excel.

No. Not there yet. Hopefully will be by camp.

This one is gonna sting for awhile.

Every play-caller gets some wrong and every offense stumbles. It's a chess game and you're hoping to outsmart the guy on the other side of the field. You don't accomplish what Payton did here on the offensive side of the ball if you aren't exceptional - from identifying and developing the right players to putting them in position to excel.
I can agree with that. But how often did Drew change the play at the line? Without Drew none of what we had is possible.

I can agree with that. But how often did Drew change the play at the line? Without Drew none of what we had is possible.

Every play Drew ran was a Sean Payton installed play.

But, certainly, there was a synergy between coach and QB that worked here.

I am excited. The Saints have a standard here so I don't anticipate us hiring a Coach that is not capable of fielding a winning team especially with an organization that can cultivate his ability as a coach and an organization that is widely recognized as one of the most stable ones in the league, this is definitely a place a coach can grow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom