Anyone else ready to take a chance on Landon Turner... right now? (1 Viewer)

To be honest I feel like crosswatt most of the time - very conscious of what I don't know.

What I have managed to learn, and to a much lesser extent retain, comes from playing OL at Duke for 5 years and 2 in NFL Europe. I've been coaching in Ireland for ten years but that's really just trying to share what I learned with those new to the game, not really growing in knowledge (maybe a little)
Thank you for the reply and all the great info you bring to this board.

I'm sure we'll be counting on your input quite heavily this year with the microscopic focus we have on our weakest part of the team for the time being.

As much shuffling around we have had on the o line, if Turner was a possibility he wouldn't be working with the 3rd team line in preseason. I think we are just going to have to deal with a leaky line all season or keep a tight end or extra RB in the backfield to clean up missed blocks.

Yeah but didn't our blocking TE go down with an injury in the steelers game ? Can Josh hill block

As much shuffling around we have had on the o line, if Turner was a possibility he wouldn't be working with the 3rd team line in preseason. I think we are just going to have to deal with a leaky line all season or keep a tight end or extra RB in the backfield to clean up missed blocks.

Unfortunately I think Turner has been a casualty of the circus show called the starting offensive line. Between the musical chair game called "where will Andrus Peat line up this drive?" and the revolving doors named Lelito and Kelemete... Turner's been silently improving and I think he winds up starting at RG before the season is over, especially if Peat is now being put at LG.

Since we have some knowledgable posters in here right now, I'd like to ask about something I saw last season.

I think it was towards the end of the season, but I remember we were having trouble blocking and Brees was continuously rolling out to one side and throwing outside the pocket. At first I thought he was just trying to escape the pressure, but then I realized we were doing that by design (at least it seemed that way).

Is that not an effective strategy when your o-line sucks? I feel like Brees started carving up the secondary once he started intentionally rolling out. I know ideally you have your line create a pocket, but when the lone just can't get it done, is that not a good backup plan?

Disclaimer: I don't know much about the Xs and Os, so I know
my question might be dumb lol

On the Saints? He will have to survive the cuts.

if he has to SURVIVE cuts then we need to re think the front office and or coaches ... I'm Sorry but Ray Charles could see that Turner can play .. I for one don't want to watch pitiful Oline play and see this kid starting or contributing on another team this year

Since we have some knowledgable posters in here right now, I'd like to ask about something I saw last season.

I think it was towards the end of the season, but I remember we were having trouble blocking and Brees was continuously rolling out to one side and throwing outside the pocket. At first I thought he was just trying to escape the pressure, but then I realized we were doing that by design (at least it seemed that way).

Is that not an effective strategy when your o-line sucks? I feel like Brees started carving up the secondary once he started intentionally rolling out. I know ideally you have your line create a pocket, but when the lone just can't get it done, is that not a good backup plan?

Disclaimer: I don't know much about the Xs and Os, so I know
my question might be dumb lol

Yeah, one way to mitigate pressure is to make the position of your QB less predictable - roll outs, bootleg, slide protections, 3 step drops all mean it's more difficult to plan pressures and keep a pass rush guessing.

Give him a shot. Just on sheer girth he is a devastating man run blocker. He don't do too bad either on the pass plays I have seen him in on. Maybe Coach don't want to trust a rookie on protecting Brees. But he can play.

Give him a shot. Just on sheer girth he is a devastating man run blocker. He don't do too bad either on the pass plays I have seen him in on. Maybe Coach don't want to trust a rookie on protecting Brees. But he can play.

At this point if a guy can occupy one of the guard spots, regardless if he is a udfa or not, he would be in there. Its reached crisis mode with these guards. They've had all training camp to figure this out and it still feels like they are no further along that when camp started.

I think with all the shuffling and lack of success in the second quarter from the guys we put in should help his chance a lot . He played well again the whole second half, seemed better in pass pro and was stout as usual in the run game .

At this point if a guy can occupy one of the guard spots, regardless if he is a udfa or not, he would be in there. Its reached crisis mode with these guards. They've had all training camp to figure this out and it still feels like they are no further along that when camp started.

from what I have heard and read, most think Turner will be a good one for the Saints.

from what I have heard and read, most think Turner will be a good one for the Saints.

he will be a good one , he just needs alittle work . The size and raw power are there he is also more agile than I thought he would be

I could only actually see and focus on maybe 5 plays but he didn't get beat from what little I actually saw. But it still doesn't answer the question, "how will he look with the starters". To say he didn't get beat by the Ravens third string doesn't mean anything. Put him in with the ones in practice and see how he does then.

Well, Turner made it to the 53. Congrats to him. Still a few days until the roster settles but he took his opportunity and was pretty solid every pre-season game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom