Anyone Else Surpised- AAF (1 Viewer)

MTDB1983

Very Banned
Reaction score
Anyone else surprised that ESPN isn’t showcasing the AAF or even mentioning them on their site? I can’t find any info about the game on the Home Page, and if you click “Scores”, the scores aren’t even on there. They have soccer, golf, and the NBA, but no AAF.

Anyone surprised? Or anyone know why? Or would like to postulate?

I think they’re still getting a feel on how the League fits in on the sports landscape. Within the coming weeks, I’d expect more coverage if it holds steady.

I think they’re still getting a feel on how the League fits in on the sports landscape. Within the coming weeks, I’d expect more coverage if it holds steady.

But they know full well that the amount of coverage they give the AAF will take part in determining how it will fit into the sports landscape.

But they know full well that the amount of coverage they give the AAF will take part in determining how it will fit into the sports landscape.
It’s understandable for them to see how the League does before it goes deep in their coverage. The graveyard of spring leagues is large and plentiful. If interest continues, they’ll cover it more. It’ll get its tab on their website. Especially since it has the NFL backing.

But you need to understand it is pretty much minor league football. Do you see every Minor League Baseball team covered each night during baseball season? Do you see the G-League covered nightly on ESPN? Only so much you can air on TV but they are showing highlights on social media Twitter, Facebook, Streaming etc. I hope it does well. It has a pretty decent TV contract for starters already. CBS Sports Net. is not a bad start.

ESPN has no incentive to give free publicity to a fledgling league that airs only on a different network. ESPN and ABC have the same parent company; AAF is on CBS. They're competitors.

I was certainly surprised on how entertaining it was for me. Looking forward to how much better the season will turn out with players getting familiar with their teammates and scheme.

GAME SCHEDULE
(All times Eastern)

WEEK 2

Saturday, February 16
Salt Lake at Birmingham, 2 p.m. (TNT)
Arizona at Memphis, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

Sunday, February 17
Orlando at San Antonio, 4 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Atlanta at San Diego , 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

WEEK 3

Saturday, February 23
Arizona at Salt Lake, 3 p.m. (B/R LIVE)
Memphis at Orlando, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

Sunday, February 24
Birmingham at Atlanta, 4 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
San Antonio at San Diego, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

WEEK 4

Saturday, March 2
Orlando at Salt Lake, 4 p.m. (B/R LIVE)
San Diego at Memphis, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

Sunday, March 3
San Antonio at Birmingham, 4 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Atlanta at Arizona, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

WEEK 5

Saturday, March 9
Orlando at Birmingham, 2 p.m. (B/R LIVE)
Salt Lake at San Diego, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

Sunday, March 10
Memphis at Atlanta, 4 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
San Antonio at Arizona, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

WEEK 6

Saturday, March 16
Memphis at Salt Lake, 4 p.m. (B/R LIVE)
Arizona at Orlando, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

Sunday, March 17
San Antonio at Atlanta, 4 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Birmingham at San Diego, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

WEEK 7

Saturday, March 23
Orlando at Atlanta, 3 p.m. (B/R LIVE)
Salt Lake at San Antonio, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

Sunday, March 24
San Diego at Arizona, 4 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Birmingham at Memphis, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

WEEK 8

Saturday, March 30
Orlando at Memphis, 2 p.m. (B/R LIVE)
San Diego at Salt Lake, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

Sunday, March 31
Atlanta at Birmingham, 4 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Arizona at San Antonio, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

WEEK 9

Saturday, April 6
Memphis at San Antonio, 4 p.m. (B/R LIVE)
San Diego at Orlando, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

Sunday, April 7
Salt Lake at Atlanta, 4 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Birmingham at Arizona, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

WEEK 10

Friday, April 12
San Antonio at Salt Lake, 8 p.m. (B/R LIVE)

Saturday, April 13
Atlanta at Memphis, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

Sunday, April 14
Birmingham at Orlando, 3:30 p.m. (CBS Sports Network)
Arizona at San Diego, 8 p.m. (NFL Network)

PLAYOFFS

Saturday, April 20
Semifinal

Sunday, April 21
Semifinal

Saturday, April 27
Championship game

Last edited:
I first heard about the AAF prior to our NFCCG and so I tuned out any news about it while focusing on our Saints. But I did wonder if the timing of that league starting immediately after the SuperBowl was a good or bad thing. I imagined that few would be 'hungry' for football after a full season of NFL football.

But I truly believe that the screw-up in our game actually played a role in the good ratings numbers for the first week of AAF games simply because a lot of football fans were probably eager to see how the officiating would be in those games, including how that "Sky Judge" system would work out. I think their transparent officiating was a nice surprise to most football fans and the smooth flow of the games (mostly due to limited timeouts for ads) was a welcome change of pace.

If people begin to adopt particular teams to support & pull for, that will only increase the interest in these games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom