Anyone Else Think the Showing Against HOU Has Been Completely Overblown? (1 Viewer)

HogsNSaints

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I am an avid hater of preseason evaluation. I'm not just saying this as a blind lover of New Orleans football. When the defense showed well against NE, I wanted us fans to pump the breaks, because their WR corps was a bunch of strays. That said, judging our team and being negative towards the season after that showing isn't fair to us. The defense played very well IMO. They came out guns blazing and shut HOU's offense down before the Murphy muff. Houston followed it up with a "once in a blue moon" perfect pass from Osweiler. The offensive line was bad, yes, but Armstead is the anchor. He was recently rated as the #2 overall player on the entire roster. When he's in, the line is completely reshuffled and while New Orleans may not have a great OL this year, Saturday's showing is not a representation of what's to come on Sundays. Not only will Brees have more time, Cooks/Snead will be on the field. Snead's strength is getting open in a hurry and giving Drew a target quick. Cooks draw the attention of multiple defenders.

Then there's the turnovers, which definitely need to be emphasized. I'm sure after the last two weeks, there will be hell to pay for what we've seen there.

I just see a lot of overnegativity concerning that Houston game, in the same way there was overpositivity after the NE game. We have not seen what this team is capable up, in the same breath, other teams are going to be better as well. I'm excited for this season, and until the bad comes, we can still think positively.

Detroit went 4-0 in preseason the year they went 0-16 in the regular season. I don't think it can be that big of a measuring stick.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I agree.

I think you put more value in defense during preseason. Most, if not all teams do not gameplan on offense. If an opponent comes in and marches up and down the field on your defense during preseason, a la Saints 2014 and 2015, then you're in deep body excrement.

The second thing is the battle in the trenches. Offensive lineman and defensive lineman mono y mono. You can put some value in to how a lineman holds up one on one. No, most lineman are not going to be one on one throughout a game, but it's still pretty telling when your starting right tackle, Strief, is literally bull rushed on his behind for a big hit on Brees. Now, do I think people are freaking out over the oline? Yes, but like I said there is some cause for concern. We are still shuffling pieces with less than 3 weeks till Oakland. The oline is the Saints fan "hot" word right now. Everyone will blow it out of proportion until we start winning.

They didn't play well last year...we figured it could be a problem after the draft...they haven't played well in training camp...why is it so surprising that they played so poorly? The sooner you own it...the sooner you can start to cope with it.

I say this...the concern with the oline is legit. Of course it is a cause of concern. On one play alone, three Texan defender hit Drew Brees. Even though it did drew a flag, the line allowed it to happened. I can accept a bad blocking or protection here or there where mental errors and mistakes were the reason. But this happened on every single play. There were no rushing lane. Quarterbacks are constantly running for their lives. Weren't allow to have plays developed. I get that it is preseason, but this has been a major problem since the last game of last season, and the coaches has yet figure it out yet. I am sort of panicking because we have two more games to get it corrected and time is wasted.

I thought our first team had a couple of bad breaks and the Texans took advantage. If they had the whole game, I felt pretty good that the Saints would have come out on top with the first teams on the field Saturday.

Now put Watt, Cooks, and Snead on the field and I'd say all bets are off. I'd have to reevaluate.

I truly believe we have a good D line. Much better than last year. But I also see why they have dominated pretty much every practice. O line is playing bad. Can they get it together? Man, I hope. Watching 16 games of that would seriously drive me crazy.

PS: Everybody look at Saint Ace in my avatar. Just turned a year old Saturday. Who dat!

I say this...the concern with the oline is legit. Of course it is a cause of concern. On one play alone, three Texan defender hit Drew Brees. Even though it did drew a flag, the line allowed it to happened. I can accept a bad blocking or protection here or there where mental errors and mistakes were the reason. But this happened on every single play. There were no rushing lane. Quarterbacks are constantly running for their lives. Weren't allow to have plays developed. I get that it is preseason, but this has been a major problem since the last game of last season, and the coaches has yet figure it out yet. I am sort of panicking because we have two more games to get it corrected and time is wasted.

Yes but only after Arnstead went out.

As it stands, Hills is the backup left tackle no matter how much they want Peat to be. Snaps with Peat on the left are wasted reps for this season.

My problem with the Houston game was the play of the Oline, which has been a problem for a while now. We knew it was a weakness going into last offseason and we didn't do ANYTHING about it.

I don't count bringing in undrafted players. We neglected the position, and for that... we'll be hoping Drew doesn't get killed behind this line, and our run game has been non-existent this preseason.

And its not because our running backs are bad, but rather they have no holes to run thru.

Let's just say, I think we can give a good deal more credence to this game coming up. A home game, after a long, long time away from home for a lot of folk? I think this game will be our showing out party.

Or we'll stink it up and cause loads of "Season over." Talk. Either way. I can't wait!

My problem with the Houston game was the play of the Oline, which has been a problem for a while now. We knew it was a weakness going into last offseason and we didn't do ANYTHING about it.

I don't count bringing in undrafted players. We neglected the position, and for that... we'll be hoping Drew doesn't get killed behind this line, and our run game has been non-existent this preseason.

And its not because our running backs are bad, but rather they have no holes to run thru.

Sure we did something about it, we got rid oh Jahri Evans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom