Anyone Ever Driven the Alaska Highway (Alcan)? (1 Viewer)

I’ve done it. In 1994 I drove from Anchorage to Clarke County MS. Epic trip.
Wish I had done it with someone as I feel that a trip like that should be shared.
Long stretches of road where I saw only a few other vehicles.
When I went, the road was listed as paved all the way.
It’s not.
Quite a lot of it is gravel as asphalt doesn’t do so well with arctic (or near arctic) weather changes. The summers are obviously shorter at the higher latitudes and that’s when they do maintenance on the road.
All that said, it’s a beautiful, scenic journey.
If you decide to do it, (and you should) make sure you allow enough time that you don’t have to rush. I took 10 days.

I'm going to Anchorage the first week of August. Will be south of Anchorage on the 2nd and 3rd. After that have a few days to do whatever I want and don't have a return flight yet. I'm debating on making the drive, hitting Denali or getting down to see the Million Dollar Bridge and Childs glacier calving. Leaning towards the latter since the road going to million dollar bridge is washed out and may never be fixed and with the bridge in disrepair and it's proximity to icebergs and earthquakes there is a chance it may not be around much longer.

I went down the rabbit hole of reading about that Pan American expedition a while back.. seems pretty cool, but I have to admit that that and the Trans America trail dont really appeal to me since they’re both pretty rough roads, and truly adventuresome.. Whereas the Alcan, though it used to be pretty rough, is now mostly a smooth, paved highway that you can traverse in just about any vehicle while just taking in the scenery, listening to some tunes and enjoying the ride.. More my speed at this point.

Yeah i have been wanting to do to either of them for years.

At one point had everything I needed except time and funds.

Had a great dog for the adventure. Need a new one and time.
I'm going to Anchorage the first week of August. Will be south of Anchorage on the 2nd and 3rd. After that have a few days to do whatever I want and don't have a return flight yet. I'm debating on making the drive, hitting Denali or getting down to see the Million Dollar Bridge and Childs glacier calving. Leaning towards the latter since the road going to million dollar bridge is washed out and may never be fixed and with the bridge in disrepair and it's proximity to icebergs and earthquakes there is a chance it may not be around much longer.

Sounds great. Post some pics for us in southern Louisiana sweating balls to drool over.

For those not familiar, the Alcan (aka Alaska Highway) is the 1400 mi road connecting Dawson Creek Canada with Fairbanks AK.. Started out as a really rough gravel road only used by the US military to get equipment from the lower 48 to the newly-acquired state of Alaska, now it’s a nicely paved highway used by tourists every year.. For several years, driving the Alcan has been at the top of my List (i hate the term ‘bucket list’) since I love road trips, and this is one of the ultimate road trips and supposedly some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet.

There’s a story in the news today about a young couple who were just murdered along the Alcan by a possible serial killer.. i didnt realize so many people had gone missing over the years; it actually seems perfect for serial killer activity, since there is mostly no cell reception along the route, and very few resources if your car were to break down.. I’d love to do it one day, but kinda having second thoughts.. Anyone ever make this drive, or have any thoughts on it?

F0129E30-98E3-4A48-B4C6-1213B58DABB5.jpeg
When I moved from Nola to Alaska in 2015, I drove the Alaska Highway. Beautiful scenery, especially in the Yukon and BC. I wouldn't let those news stories deter you. The chances of anything like that happening to you are astronomical. I saw almost every form of wildlife that I ever dreamed of seeing in the wild on that road. Wolf, Eagle, Reindeer (Or it could have been caribou), moose. Only thing I didn't see was a bear, but I see them at work all the time now.

When I moved from Nola to Alaska in 2015, I drove the Alaska Highway. Beautiful scenery, especially in the Yukon and BC. I wouldn't let those news stories deter you. The chances of anything like that happening to you are astronomical. I saw almost every form of wildlife that I ever dreamed of seeing in the wild on that road. Wolf, Eagle, Reindeer (Or it could have been caribou), moose. Only thing I didn't see was a bear, but I see them at work all the time now.
Not many people realize it, reindeer and caribou are the same animal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom