Anyone Ever Driven the Alaska Highway (Alcan)? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
For those not familiar, the Alcan (aka Alaska Highway) is the 1400 mi road connecting Dawson Creek Canada with Fairbanks AK.. Started out as a really rough gravel road only used by the US military to get equipment from the lower 48 to the newly-acquired state of Alaska, now it’s a nicely paved highway used by tourists every year.. For several years, driving the Alcan has been at the top of my List (i hate the term ‘bucket list’) since I love road trips, and this is one of the ultimate road trips and supposedly some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet.

There’s a story in the news today about a young couple who were just murdered along the Alcan by a possible serial killer.. i didnt realize so many people had gone missing over the years; it actually seems perfect for serial killer activity, since there is mostly no cell reception along the route, and very few resources if your car were to break down.. I’d love to do it one day, but kinda having second thoughts.. Anyone ever make this drive, or have any thoughts on it?

F0129E30-98E3-4A48-B4C6-1213B58DABB5.jpeg

I went in the summer of 2007.
We rented an RV and spent 7 days, all below Anchorage.
I can say without question, it's the most beautiful place I've ever seen.

Yeah no

The couple were travelling in the upper region of British Columbia, a place notorious for 'The Highway of Tears' - a 450 mile stretch of road upon which 50 women have disappeared or been murdered since 1970.

There’s a story in the news today about a young couple who were just murdered along the Alcan by a possible serial killer.. i didnt realize so many people had gone missing over the years; it actually seems perfect for serial killer activity, since there is mostly no cell reception along the route, and very few resources if your car were to break down.. I’d love to do it one day, but kinda having second thoughts.. Anyone ever make this drive, or have any thoughts on it?
Sort of like living in Baton Rouge but without the scenery with all of the serial killers.

Yeah at one time was the topic of a motorcycle trip that never happened. Accually that is part of the pan american hwy. It goes from Alaska all the way down to the bottom of south America. 30k miles the longest road in the world.

Here is a documentary about a trip made in 78 in jeeps. Cool stuff

Actually just need to win the Powerball to make any of that happen.

Yeah have been to Alaska but to drive just sounds so epic.

I'd you like off road look at the trans american trail. Could do it with a 4wd or motorcycle.

The trans american trail will have to get a 4wd and do it. I am getting too old to pick myself up off the ground. Have not done it either forking bills suck. It goes completely across the country on mostly gravel and dirt. It is insane.

it isn't so much that i value my life, but if possible, i would like to be in control when the time comes if necessary.

For those not familiar, the Alcan (aka Alaska Highway) is the 1400 mi road connecting Dawson Creek Canada with Fairbanks AK.. Started out as a really rough gravel road only used by the US military to get equipment from the lower 48 to the newly-acquired state of Alaska, now it’s a nicely paved highway used by tourists every year.. For several years, driving the Alcan has been at the top of my List (i hate the term ‘bucket list’) since I love road trips, and this is one of the ultimate road trips and supposedly some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet.

F0129E30-98E3-4A48-B4C6-1213B58DABB5.jpeg

My dad took my little brother and I in a custom van pulling a popup when we were little. It was beautiful.

I wish I had the time to do the same, but I did spend week before last in Hawaii driving a rented Panamera around and it was very, very pretty.

20190706_123853.jpg

Yeah at one time was the topic of a motorcycle trip that never happened. Accually that is part of the pan american hwy. It goes from Alaska all the way down to the bottom of south America. 30k miles the longest road in the world.

Here is a documentary about a trip made in 78 in jeeps. Cool stuff

Actually just need to win the Powerball to make any of that happen.

Yeah have been to Alaska but to drive just sounds so epic.

I'd you like off road look at the trans american trail. Could do it with a 4wd or motorcycle.

The trans american trail will have to get a 4wd and do it. I am getting too old to pick myself up off the ground. Have not done it either forking bills suck. It goes completely across the country on mostly gravel and dirt. It is insane.

I went down the rabbit hole of reading about that Pan American expedition a while back.. seems pretty cool, but I have to admit that that and the Trans America trail dont really appeal to me since they’re both pretty rough roads, and truly adventuresome.. Whereas the Alcan, though it used to be pretty rough, is now mostly a smooth, paved highway that you can traverse in just about any vehicle while just taking in the scenery, listening to some tunes and enjoying the ride.. More my speed at this point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom