Anyone ever get transferred with job? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Anyone ever been transferred by your employer from one state to another? What about from a "cheaper" state to a more "expensive" state? Really concerned about the cost of living/cost of housing increase.

I have not but know a few that have from my company. If it was to more expensive state they got a raise to offset it and all regardless to where got help/money to buy a house. Though all policies vary by company.

I transferred at company expense from Mississippi to Texas. Five years later, they transferred me back.

I was given a raise to offset the increased cost of living. The pay scales for Dallas/Fort Worth were significantly better than Gulfport/Biloxi.

Even Sams Club doubled my credit limit without being asked, simply because of the ZIP Code. When I transferred back, they lowered it again.

The economic reality is that MS is still the poorest state in many catevories, while TX ranks among the best. Lenders and creditors tailor their offerings accordingly.

So do employers.

Shouldn't you talk to the people you work for? Unless you're being demoted you shouldn't suffer financially from being transferred. Any company that treats it's employees decently would consider cost of living increases and moving expenses if they're giving you no option but to transfer. But it's hard to know what's going on in your specific situation with such limited information.

I just went from New Orleans to NY about 4 months ago. They wanted me at the main office for a promotion. I looked at all the cost of living websites down to grocery stores. Once I got where I thought I could live a comparable life to down there I add 20% just because I knew how the negotiations would work. I’m going on 5 months and everything from a financial standpoint is pretty bang on except for our oil bill to heat the house. That’s almost a third more but other than that the research paid off. My wife and kids hate it so far and they don’t have smoked sausage in the stores here but other than that I’m living the life!?

Oh and property tax. Went from $3k a year in Covington to $24k a year in CT. And my kids went to a blue ribbon catholic school there and blue ribbon public school here. The difference? My kids are a year ahead coming from Louisiana. That’s right a year ahead. This year up here they are doing the same thing they did in Louisiana last year so don’t believe everything you hear about how far behind La is.

Anyone ever been transferred by your employer from one state to another? What about from a "cheaper" state to a more "expensive" state? Really concerned about the cost of living/cost of housing increase.
I’m in the middle of something right now but I will go into more detail about things I did later this afternoon

Oh and property tax. Went from $3k a year in Covington to $24k a year in CT. And my kids went to a blue ribbon catholic school there and blue ribbon public school here. The difference? My kids are a year ahead coming from Louisiana. That’s right a year ahead. This year up here they are doing the same thing they did in Louisiana last year so don’t believe everything you hear about how far behind La is.
when you get a chance i'd love to hear more about wife/kids reactions
also education difference (assuming it's not just 'at old school they did algebra in 10th grade and here it's 11th' or the like)

Wow! For once Louisiana schools are better. I live in the area. Can I ask the name of the Louisiana school?

Our Lady of the lake in Mandeville. There is another SR guy who’s children go there as well

I don't think that's too surprising on the school front. Private school grades usually strive to be anywhere from a half grade to 1.5 grades above their public school counterparts. I think public schools are under restrictions as far as grade related teaching and pacing that private schools don't have to worry about.

But that's great, man! I hope the kids and the wife eventually come around. This sounds like a great opportunity for you. My wife went to high school in Connecticut....and Virginia and Florida. In her opinion, her experience in Connecticut was amazing. Her school had as many extracurriculars and clubs as you would find on a college campus. Hopefully, they will find something that makes the transition easier.

My daughter had a rough time going from Ursuline (New Orleans) to public school here in Georgia. The first year was tough, but it got a lot better the second. Now she's at one of the best public schools in the country and couldn't be happier.

Now as far as the wife? If she isn't swayed by the proximity to Broadway, incredible restaurants and some of the best shopping in the world, I don't know...you may just have to move back home, LOL. Happy wife, happy life. But NYC is an incredible, diverse city where you can find a hundred people for every niche imaginable. Like, I'm sure there's a group for "Southern wives that are unhappy with their husbands transfer to NYC" that meets on every Tuesday... and another that's meets on weekends. I'm kidding, but NYC is great in that social media has made it really easy to find a few dozen people with the same hobby, problems, wants or whatever.

Congrats again, I hope it works out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom