Anyone Ever Had Their Identity Stolen? (1 Viewer)

CoolBrees1

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Anyone run into this problem?
Just found out today that my wife did...and she's freaking out....someone got ahold of her name and "SS" and was able to get credit cards...then politely withdrew some cash withdrawals off of the credit cards...to the tune of 2000.00 on one and a little over 4000.00 on another....she just found out today that this supposedly happened back in April-May of 07....:covri:

Yeah I had a phone bill opened in my name and it went on my credit report which flagged me when they didn't pay the bill. Fortunately, after many letters and phone calls I was able to clear everything up. The credit stuff you won't be responsible for and as long as you have the time and patience to just clear it all up. I would notify all 3 credit agencies (which I am sure you have already done). They will put a flag on your credit so that there is an additional safeguard in place for a certain amount of time.
It's all a pain but it will work out. :)

Yes. Twice, and I'm 23 with spotty credit before getting gooched. I'm not at all sure why any human being with at least several brain cells would want my information, of all people -- let alone use it maliciously.

Yup. Someone bought a dell computer with my info. A year later, I eventually got it cleared up by signing some affidavit with the Dell fraud investigation department.

Yes when I was about 25. A man used my ssn at a 2 different Hospitals in Georgia. He racked up over $80,000 in fees for service. I called the local police and at first they were treating me as a suspect. Finally got it cleared after about 5 months of letters and documents to the sherriff,hopsitals and the credit reporting companies ( TransUnion, Equifax )

I hate to threadjack but, congrats to Dean for that movie role. I saw the trailer for that movie a couple of nights ago and thought it looked funny. Back to the OP, some similar stuff happened to me about a year ago and was a huge pain. It can be resolved, just be patient.

<-----shhhh, i still have his, don't tell him.

Yeah I had a phone bill opened in my name and it went on my credit report which flagged me when they didn't pay the bill. Fortunately, after many letters and phone calls I was able to clear everything up. The credit stuff you won't be responsible for and as long as you have the time and patience to just clear it all up. I would notify all 3 credit agencies (which I am sure you have already done). They will put a flag on your credit so that there is an additional safeguard in place for a certain amount of time.
It's all a pain but it will work out. :)

We had the same thing happen to us with a phone company. We were able to get it settled.

We now pay $10 a month for lifelock and they contact us immediately everytime we apply for anything that requires a credit hit, so hopefully it's working.

Not the total identity -- but somehow someone used a credit card to charge a bunch of stuff to -- dont understand it either since I had the original credit cards in my possession

I would laugh at anyone trying to steal my identity. Boy would they ever be in for a surprise.

"You want credit?!? BWAHAHAHAHA!"

Someone did try to steal my oldest son's ID when he was about 12. Or so it seemed. Knowing him, he really did try to apply for a credit card.

Anyone run into this problem?
Just found out today that my wife did...and she's freaking out....someone got ahold of her name and "SS" and was able to get credit cards...then politely withdrew some cash withdrawals off of the credit cards...to the tune of 2000.00 on one and a little over 4000.00 on another....she just found out today that this supposedly happened back in April-May of 07....:covri:

That is terribile!!

Thankfully, I"ve not had that happen.

The closest thing(less severe) to this happened to my son.

There is a kid at his school with the EXACT name, first, middle, and last.
(his name is not that common either)

I"ve had phone calls about his bad grades(my kid made straight A's), detentions he has received(none here), unexcused absences(he's not been absent) and disciplinary problems(he's never had a disciplinary problem, well, not at school, :hihi: )

It was all on the other kid. Once they determined the grade level, they are difft grades, it was resolved, thank goodness.

The excuse I was given? That when they type the name in, it goes to the youngest of the 2(my kid). I said , the other one doesn't show up?? Answer: No, not unless you scroll to the next page. :covri:

Anyways, we got it straight. They had a meeting and all the teachers were instructed about this type of situation.

Sorry to hijack.

I hope your wife gets everything straightened out. I would feel violated.

Yep, but luckily for me the idiot trying to get the two credit cards used an address I had not lived at for over 5 years which set off a warning alarm at one of the credit card companies which called me about it; the other card he applied for got sent to me; he never charged anything, and now have fraud alerts with the credit agency in which they call me if someone tries to open an account.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom