Anyone familiar with laser devices? (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
My 2 year old grabbed a hold of my laser measuring device while I was on the phone at the computer. Maybe 5 seconds later I turn around and he's got the laser end pointed into his eye. Freaked out and yanked it away from him.

Don't know how long he is looked at it that way, but could not be more than 5 seconds.

The laser has all sorts of warnings on it not to stare at it. It has a 2 on it, so I think it may be class 2? It is a pretty serious device by Hilti, not some laser pointer or something.

Yes, I am stoopid for letting him grab it and use it unobserved.

Do I need to go to the eye doctor and have it checked out? My fear, of course, is that I have screwed up his eyes in some way.

Help.

sounds like you need to bring the device and him to the eye doctor just in case.

<DL><DT> Class II lasers are low power (< 1mW), visible light lasers that could possibly cause damage to a person's eyes. Some examples of Class II laser use are: classroom demonstrations, laser pointers, aiming devices and range finding equipment. If class II laser beams are directly viewed for long periods of time (i.e. > 15 minutes) damage to the eyes could result. Avoid looking into a Class II laser beam or pointing a Class II laser beam into another person's eyes. Avoid viewing Class II laser beams with telescopic devices. Realize that the bright light of a Class II laser beam into your eyes will cause a normal reaction to look away or close your eyes. This response is expected to protect you from Class II laser damage to the eyes. </DT></DL>

this dude is a "laser" expert

Dr%20Evil.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much IE. Watch and see if he's squinting or anything but provided he seems to be seeing everything fine 5 seconds isn't that long for a laser pointer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom