Anyone familiar with the TV market? (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
I've been looking for a new TV for our small living room. The last "big" TV I bought was a Sharp Aquos 32" and it's way past time for me to upgrade. Granted, I'm not an "it has to be the biggest I can afford type of guy. Neither I or my wife really want a TV to be the focal point in our living space, so we both decided on nothing larger than a 50" TV. I also don't want to spend the type of money it would cost to get an OLED TV, more like the $800 range or very close to it. So my search began and I quickly started doing research on what would be the best for us. What are the current standards to judge TVs by, what particular specifications matter most to us, what will we be using the TV for... For starters, as I said, we have a small living room. There's no arrangement we can do in the room where the TV can be viewed head on & some seating is at a fairly sharp angle to the TV, so viewing angles are important. We also have a lot of windows so, while the living room can be dark, there can be glares as well. Of course we want a TV that can handle high def movies and Saints games and the kids play some high def games as well with the Playstation & Switch.

So, after much research I settled on a TV that I thought checked nearly every box, the Samsung QN50Q80T. At $850 it was a little higher than my price range, but seemed worth it considering it fit nearly everything I was looking for. The only things it didn't have were the variable refresh rates (it's 60Hz only) and the advanced HDMI port (which isn't needed yet) for gaming. Other than that, it has excellent contrast ratio, excellent color saturation, great viewing angles etc. The problem now is availability. Best Buy is completely sold out of them & have no idea when or if they will ever be restocked. On top of that, the sale prices are all gone now that some places like Amazon are beginning to get them again, so what was before slightly out of my budget is now running in the $1000 range. So, my question is this: Do I wait and hope the TV comes available at the price I was wanting, wait for the newer models with hopefully all the features I wanted and hope for the price range I want or settle for a TV that I can get now that has many of the specific features I was looking for, but a poorer quality picture (most likely the LG NANO85)? I read that sellers usually have their biggest sales before & just after Christmas (which I missed) and also just before big events like the Superbowl. I also read that many manufacturers start releasing their new lines around April.

Nothing larger than a 50" would suit, both practically & financially. Quality is much more important to me.

Nothing larger than a 50" would suit, both practically & financially. Quality is much more important to me.
Wait until the week before the super bowl. That is usually the cheapest price for TVs all year. Can’t speak to availability if it’s a popular model tho.

My only advice to you is COSTCO... Great selection, and the best prices I’ve seen.. Picked up two LGs there last year.. They have just about any model you can imagine in-store, but if not then do costco .com... If not already a member, the savings will easily pay for the cost of membership.

Wait until the week before the super bowl. That is usually the cheapest price for TVs all year. Can’t speak to availability if it’s a popular model tho.

Really? I would assume it’d be the opposite, since so many people are looking to upgrade at that time.. but what do i know.

In any case, i wouldnt wait too close to SB day since I’d want everything set up and fine tuned well prior to the big day, especially since the Whodats will likely be playing in it this year.

Really? I would assume it’d be the opposite, since so many people are looking to upgrade at that time.. but what do i know.

In any case, i wouldnt wait too close to SB day since I’d want everything set up and fine tuned well prior to the big day, especially since the Whodats will likely be playing in it this year.

2. The Two Weeks Before Super Bowl Sunday

The Super Bowl is the biggest sports attraction of the year, with millions of Americans tuning in for the big game. TV manufacturers and retailers are well aware of that demand, and will price TVs to move before Super Bowl Sunday, when demand is strongest. Consumer Reports says that Super Bowl Sunday is the second-best time to buy a new TV, right after Black Friday in November.

Expect big game-oriented big screen TVs (50-inch screens and above) to be the best deals.

My only advice to you is COSTCO... Great selection, and the best prices I’ve seen.. Picked up two LGs there last year.. They have just about any model you can imagine in-store, but if not then do costco .com... If not already a member, the savings will easily pay for the cost of membership.

Agreed. Get one of these from Costco if they sell a version.

60HZ refresh rate is no good if watching sports on it, motion is way too blurry, imho.

Agreed. Get one of these from Costco if they sell a version.

Rtings was where I got a lot of my info. I saw the Sony in store in the 55" model and it looked fantastic. However, the 50" model does not have the angle feature of the other TVs which pushed me back to the Samsung.

Rtings was where I got a lot of my info. I saw the Sony in store in the 55" model and it looked fantastic. However, the 50" model does not have the angle feature of the other TVs which pushed me back to the Samsung.

Just get the 55 inch sony. You can never go too big. 55 vs 50 is not that huge of a difference. I have Samsung and Sony TV's around the house. I prefer the android smart TV over what Samsung brings to the table.

Just get the 55 inch sony. You can never go too big. 55 vs 50 is not that huge of a difference. I have Samsung and Sony TV's around the house. I prefer the android smart TV over what Samsung brings to the table.
If finances were not also a factor I might consider it, but tacking on an additional $400 to the $800 budget just isn't an option right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom