Anyone fly or go on vacation since the pandemic (1 Viewer)

We changed our plans and cancelled the flight. Covid is exploding in North Central Texas, and American Airlines just announced they’re booking flights to capacity. As of now making the long drive. At least it’s somewhat scenic in parts of New Mexico. Texas on Hwy 287 up to Amarillo sucks.

We changed our plans and cancelled the flight. Covid is exploding in North Central Texas, and American Airlines just announced they’re booking flights to capacity. As of now making the long drive. At least it’s somewhat scenic in parts of New Mexico. Texas on Hwy 287 up to Amarillo sucks.
Yeah until you get to Northern N.M that drive is a drag. I remember outside of Lubbock there were miles of Dairy Cow Warehouses/Stalls. Smelled like cowpee and manure.

Friend of mine flew from Los Angeles to Chicago last night .. this morning, she woke up vomiting and with a 102 degree fever.. she’s freaking out, but i told that (i think) i read that Covid symptoms take almost a week to show up, so If she has it, she didnt get it from a flight (her originating flight was only 3 days ago).. which i guess isnt really much solace if she does in fact have it. :idunno:

Friend of mine flew from Los Angeles to Chicago last night .. this morning, she woke up vomiting and with a 102 degree fever.. she’s freaking out, but i told that (i think) i read that Covid symptoms take almost a week to show up, so If she has it, she didnt get it from a flight (her originating flight was only 3 days ago).. which i guess isnt really much solace if she does in fact have it. :idunno:
The respiratory symptoms of COVID-19 typically appear an average of 5-6 days after exposure, but may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

would cabin pressure be an accelerant of some sort?

Yeah until you get to Northern N.M that drive is a drag. I remember outside of Lubbock there were miles of Dairy Cow Warehouses/Stalls. Smelled like cowpee and manure.

Still beats the I35 to Kansas then West through corn fields until you see mountains route. Which is actually faster than the route that cuts the corner of New Mexico. But it takes you through some of the worst places on the planet. Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, and Dallas.

Still beats the I35 to Kansas then West through corn fields until you see mountains route. Which is actually faster than the route that cuts the corner of New Mexico. But it takes you through some of the worst places on the planet. Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, and Dallas.
Uhhhhh KS was stationed there 3 years in Ft. Riley. Did my basic and AIT at FT. Sill Oklahoma.

Uhhhhh KS was stationed there 3 years in Ft. Riley. Did my basic and AIT at FT. Sill Oklahoma.

Kansas is the most boring state in the country to drive through. But I have no hate for it, I empathize with them because they like us have to share a border with Oklahoma without the benefit of a wall.

Kansas is the most boring state in the country to drive through. But I have no hate for it, I empathize with them because they like us have to share a border with Oklahoma without the benefit of a wall.

Ive never driven through Kansas, but living in Houston for several years (i know) a while back, and making the trip on I10 from Houston to NOLA more times than i can count- i hope to never have to ever drive that stretch again if i can help it.. just incredibly boring with no scenery or anything to break it up... I’ve also made the drive from NOLA to Southern California a few times and driving through the entire state of Texas has to give Kansas a run for it’s money, in re to pure boredom.

Ive never driven through Kansas, but living in Houston for several years (i know) a while back, and making the trip on I10 from Houston to NOLA more times than i can count- i hope to never have to ever drive that stretch again if i can help it.. just incredibly boring with no scenery or anything to break it up... I’ve also made the drive from NOLA to Southern California a few times and driving through the entire state of Texas has to give Kansas a run for it’s money, in re to pure boredom.

I've made all of those drives as well - my family lives in far west Texas. I'd put the Texas stretch from Austin (or San Antonio, depending on which way you go) to Odessa wayyy above the Houston to NOLA stretch on the terrible and boring scale.

The stretches from central Oklahoma to central Kansas, and then central Kansas to eastern Colorado, are the two most boring drives I've ever made. Much worse than either of those. It's literally just straight up corn fields with zero feet elevation change for hours.

Ive been trying to put together a road trip for next month, since I love road trips, I’m still furloughed and might never have the time and opportunity for a long trip that i have right now.. Started looking into Montana, maybe checking out Glacier NP and Yellowstone (i realize most of Yellowstone isnt in MT)- but then i read the other day that Montana is the single most researched road trip destination in the US right now.. Uh, no thanks, I’m trying to get *away* from people... So looked into Maine- but theyre making everyone from out of state quarantine for 14 days.. same with a couple of other states, i think maybe RI and NC(?) Also I’ve always wanted to drive to Alaska on the Alcan Hwy, but theyre doing the quarantine thing too... So yeah, i feel like the guy on that old ep of the Twilight Zone, where the world ends, he‘s the lone survivor , he loves to read and is surrounded by an endless supply of books at the town library - then he breaks his glasses. :mad1:

Ive been trying to put together a road trip for next month, since I love road trips, I’m still furloughed and might never have the time and opportunity for a long trip that i have right now.. Started looking into Montana, maybe checking out Glacier NP and Yellowstone (i realize most of Yellowstone isnt in MT)- but then i read the other day that Montana is the single most researched road trip destination in the US right now.. Uh, no thanks, I’m trying to get *away* from people... So looked into Maine- but theyre making everyone from out of state quarantine for 14 days.. same with a couple of other states, i think maybe RI and NC(?) Also I’ve always wanted to drive to Alaska on the Alcan Hwy, but theyre doing the quarantine thing too... So yeah, i feel like the guy on that old ep of the Twilight Zone, where the world ends, he‘s the lone survivor , he loves to read and is surrounded by an endless supply of books at the town library - then he breaks his glasses. :mad1:

We are looking at a family trip to the Ozarks in Arkansas for all of the same reasons as you minus the furlough (sorry to hear). All of the popular spots in Texas and around the country are already booked or will be too crowded. It's beautiful up there and pretty affordable, and if you're just doing nature stuff you won't have to actually interact with any locals.

DUDE, when i was in HS i helped drive my aunt and uncle from Provo to upstate NY
that meant I70
worst driving experience of my live
i'm not sure how kansas talked the other states into letting it hang out with them - YIKES that was horrid

years later my friend asked if i could help him move from NY to LA
my one condition was NO KANSAS
luckily that turned into I90 and Bad Lands and Yosemite and all kinds of beautiful driving/stops

We are looking at a family trip to the Ozarks in Arkansas for all of the same reasons as you minus the furlough (sorry to hear). All of the popular spots in Texas and around the country are already booked or will be too crowded. It's beautiful up there and pretty affordable, and if you're just doing nature stuff you won't have to actually interact with any locals.

Not a bad idea, thx for the suggestion.. I’ll have to look into that.

ha, just mentioned it

black hills/badlands

ha, just mentioned it

black hills/badlands

Have never made it up there, but that one's high on my domestic list of places to see.

I actually think Blue Sky's criteria plus Covid make it fairly easy. There are a ton of places where you can get great affordable lodging and get lost in beautiful scenery/mountains/hiking. The issue with most of them is that there's nothing nearby in terms of restaurants, night life, etc. So if you're looking for a traditional vacation with a little bit of nature and a little bit of touristing and pampering, that can be difficult/expensive. But in Covid world, you're not doing the going out stuff anyway, so it actually opens up your options quite a bit.

I'm sure if we put our heads to it we could build a list of 100 of those places. Ozarks, your Black Hills, Eagle Nest/Cimarron NM, Eastern Tennessee or Western NC. Flagstaff AZ area. All stunning.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom