Anyone fly or go on vacation since the pandemic (1 Viewer)

We changed our plans and cancelled the flight. Covid is exploding in North Central Texas, and American Airlines just announced they’re booking flights to capacity. As of now making the long drive. At least it’s somewhat scenic in parts of New Mexico. Texas on Hwy 287 up to Amarillo sucks.
Driving across Texas from New Orleans to get to Ojo Caliente, NM feels like an eternity every time I've done it.

Have never made it up there, but that one's high on my domestic list of places to see.

I actually think Blue Sky's criteria make it fairly easy. There are a ton of places where you can get great affordable lodging and get lost in beautiful scenery/mountains/hiking. The issue with most of them is that there's nothing nearby in terms of restaurants, night life, etc. But in Covid world, you're not doing that anyway, so it actually opens up your options quite a bit.

I'm sure if we put our heads to it we could build a list of 100 of those places. Ozarks, your Black Hills, Eagle Nest/Cimarron NM, Eastern Tennessee or Western NC. All stunning.

I’m still a little skittish about staying in hotels.. If we could go back to before the shutdown, the one thing I’d do (besides buying up a few select stocks)- would be to have purchased an RV like I’ve long planned to do ‘one day’... Would make it a whole lot easier to go wherever, quarantine be damend, and just boondock or whatever... Prices on RVs/campers have really skyrocketed.

I’m still a little skittish about staying in hotels.. If we could go back to before the shutdown, the one thing I’d do (besides buying up a few select stocks)- would be to have purchased an RV like I’ve long planned to do ‘one day’... Would make it a whole lot easier to go wherever, quarantine be damend, and just boondock or whatever... Prices on RVs/campers have really skyrocketed.

Same with us on hotels, we're doing AirBNBs for the two trips (ozarks and beach) we have planned this year and we'll probably sanitize the hell out of them before we touch anything.

We are looking at a family trip to the Ozarks in Arkansas for all of the same reasons as you minus the furlough (sorry to hear). All of the popular spots in Texas and around the country are already booked or will be too crowded. It's beautiful up there and pretty affordable, and if you're just doing nature stuff you won't have to actually interact with any locals.
Just did the Ozarks in AR and MO in November 2019. Spent a couple days in Hot Springs too because I love hot springs (in general, not the town). If you've never done it, I think you'll be happy if you're looking for an outdoorsy trip with not much to do other than scenery and hiking and some historical sites. I've camped all over the Ozarks from primitive to cabins and haven't had a bad trip yet. Even when you go into town in most of the places I've been, they know they survive on tourist money and are as nice as can be.

There's a tiny little town outside of Gatlinburg called Townsend that has some really nice cabin and camping sites and you're all up in the Smokeys.
HA! very interesting you mention that
that's where we honeymooned (my wife and I, not you and me)
we were at the dancing bear lodge (before the main lodge burned
beautiful area and the food at the lodge was AMAZING

My Dad is from, and lives in the ozarks. The virus is nothing but a liberal conspiracy to them.

It's a beautiful place to visit though. When you find a place that isn't packed full of people it's heaven. I'm told that ticks, chiggers, and mosquitoes are particularly abundant this year.

been two weeks today since we arrived on p'cola beach for a week. barring a fever the next day or so, looks like we made it.

btw, perfect weather and water, no crowds, and the blue angels practiced overhead four days straight.

:duncan:

I've made all of those drives as well - my family lives in far west Texas. I'd put the Texas stretch from Austin (or San Antonio, depending on which way you go) to Odessa wayyy above the Houston to NOLA stretch on the terrible and boring scale.

The stretches from central Oklahoma to central Kansas, and then central Kansas to eastern Colorado, are the two most boring drives I've ever made. Much worse than either of those. It's literally just straight up corn fields with zero feet elevation change for hours.
I'll see you and raise you Omaha to Denver.

Omaha to Grand Rapids

Goodland to Lubbock

I've done just about every imaginable route through the plains more times than I care to admit.

Jacksonville, Fl to Pensacola is pretty bad too, most people don't realize just how rural that is.

We drove to Colorado from DFW last week for some cooler weather camping, which is typical for us. We'll probably do it again before September.

Ive been trying to put together a road trip for next month, since I love road trips, I’m still furloughed and might never have the time and opportunity for a long trip that i have right now.. Started looking into Montana, maybe checking out Glacier NP and Yellowstone (i realize most of Yellowstone isnt in MT)- but then i read the other day that Montana is the single most researched road trip destination in the US right now.. Uh, no thanks, I’m trying to get *away* from people... So looked into Maine- but theyre making everyone from out of state quarantine for 14 days.. same with a couple of other states, i think maybe RI and NC(?) Also I’ve always wanted to drive to Alaska on the Alcan Hwy, but theyre doing the quarantine thing too... So yeah, i feel like the guy on that old ep of the Twilight Zone, where the world ends, he‘s the lone survivor , he loves to read and is surrounded by an endless supply of books at the town library - then he breaks his glasses. :mad1:
Are you driving from home to this place? Where do you live and how much driving do you want to do?

Wife and I and our friends were planning an august trip to Memphis, but then this "2nd" spike hit and we cancelled. I really want to go somewhere but my fear of the virus so far is outpacing the desire to go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom