Anyone focus on Finnegan? (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Love to hear thoughts if anyone was able to focus on Cortland on Saturday.

Thanks in advance,
Outback

I thought he played well. He made a few tackles on defense and was flying all over the place on special teams.

Say what you will about the defense as a unit, but I think credit has to be given for the rebuild of the secondary. If two promising rookies like Crawley and Harris are on the bubble but probably ahead of Finnegan the defensive backfield outlook has recovered nicely compared to the SJB or Browner variant. That said, the Saints will need a competent pass rush to maximize the talents of the young corners and the veteran safeties. Who knows, with a little luck maybe we see what Byrd is capable of in the right defense.

I've been thinking about Finnegan and how it relates to K. Lewis and his release. Finnegan is not a bad fallback plan as Finnegan is currently healthy. He's no longer at the top of his game, but odds are a recovered Lewis would have diminished skills as well. If Lewis is able to comeback at all.

I've been thinking about Finnegan and how it relates to K. Lewis and his release. Finnegan is not a bad fallback plan as Finnegan is currently healthy. He's no longer at the top of his game, but odds are a recovered Lewis would have diminished skills as well. If Lewis is able to comeback at all.

Doesn't relate at all other than PJ Williams was supposed to be nickel DB with Lewis on the outside. Once it appeared Lewis wouldn't be a factor we penciled in Williams on the outside and signed Finnegan to compete with Swann for the Nickel. Eventually Devante Harris will jump him and Ken Crawley will be the understudy to PJ Williams(not the same as backup Swann would likely be next in line)

Most of the above is opinion but SP did already say Finnegans role is slot CB.

If Dixon does not make it, then that means the secondary has been improved. That's not a slight on Dixon, but he's obviously been good enough up to this point.

Finnegan brings experience and craftiness which should relate to some INT'S, which we so desperately need. I think this D will finish around 20th or so in the league, and I'll take that all day this year !!!

Finnegan isn't replacing Lewis. He's playing the slot, not outside. He made a couple of nice tackles, that's what I like about him, he's not afraid to get the ball carrier to the ground. One negative I did see was on a play that I think was either called back by a penalty or something he got beat very badly to the inside.

I'm pretty sure he's the one that jumped the screen pass route in the 4th quarter that caused the QB to panic and fumble the pass. Someone who taped the game can confirm that.

I thought he played well. Good video with him talking to press on Saints website. Like that he grew up just north of Pensacola (Milton) too.

I'm pretty sure he's the one that jumped the screen pass route in the 4th quarter that caused the QB to panic and fumble the pass. Someone who taped the game can confirm that.

Yeah, it was he and Tull.

Finnegan wont make the team. He is a liabikity in man, excels in zone coverage and is old. We have better, younger options. He will be an emergency option if we have injuries later in the season.

Finnegan wont make the team. He is a liabikity in man, excels in zone coverage and is old. We have better, younger options. He will be an emergency option if we have injuries later in the season.

I'm betting he does based on being a vet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom