Anyone get "optical migraines"? (1 Viewer)

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
To keep it short... Since I've been younger and played football/worked out I've gotten strange blurry vision, more or less making me half blind followed by a thin quivering multicolored line in my vision.:this lasts about 40 min and then goes away and I can see fine. Then come the most brutal heafaches, usually causing me to vomit and try to sleep it off for several hours.

It is the strangest thing and only thing I can pin it on is maybe high blood pressure or something and the vessels to the optic nerve either swell or become too stressed, causing blind spots in my field if vision. I take C4 when I work out which might add to the problem

Had dinner plans tonight but had to cancel as I'm in the middle of an episode that'll last 3-4 hours at least. Anyone experience this? Sorry for typos

I think that's what I was told I had in college, but the symptoms are nothing at all alike.

Mine was due to ocular strain from glare back in the day of monochrome monitors and 18 hour study days. Decent glasses with a glare coating fixed it and if that didn't work I ate something called Midrin which did.

Yeah. Migraines are in some cases able to be treated as soon as symptoms appear, or it is potentially something else that can be tweaked. Since its been many years it's doubtful that it's anything life threatening, and there are lots of things they can do to help. Find a good doc and get yourself checked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aloha my oldest suffers from migraines with "aura" which she knows when comimg...blurred vision followed by tunnel vision then the migraine that will last anywhere from 3-8 hrs and same with vomiting and sleep.

I would talk to your doctor...sounds like classic migraine with aura ...

We saw a neurologist to rule out other things ( she was 12 at the time) and we are convinced it was hormonal changes that brought them to surface. Luckily none in past 6 months. They are quite unnerving for us as she slurrs speech, completely disoriented and just out of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Only on Sundays, they usually get really bad around the 4th quarter.

I get that alot more frequently now than 4-6 years ago, but man did I get them often during the 80s and 90s.

In the 90s they were usually followed by a severe hangover.

To keep it short... Since I've been younger and played football/worked out I've gotten strange blurry vision, more or less making me half blind followed by a thin quivering multicolored line in my vision.:this lasts about 40 min and then goes away and I can see fine. Then come the most brutal heafaches, usually causing me to vomit and try to sleep it off for several hours.

It is the strangest thing and only thing I can pin it on is maybe high blood pressure or something and the vessels to the optic nerve either swell or become too stressed, causing blind spots in my field if vision. I take C4 when I work out which might add to the problem

Had dinner plans tonight but had to cancel as I'm in the middle of an episode that'll last 3-4 hours at least. Anyone experience this? Sorry for typos

I get them occasionally. Never a headache, just the weird vision. It's hard to explain, but it makes focusing on anything almost impossible. Usually mine only last an hour or so.

Yes, these are the kinds of migraines I get. Got them more frequently when I was 13, but they still happen on occasion - though I no longer get nauseous. I was told they were "vascular headaches", where bloodflow to the occipital lobe is reduced, causing the blurred part of your vision.

Used to be that all I needed was a 1-3 hour nap and everything would be ok, but a recent one lingered all day.

I definitely don't work out like I used to with really heavy weights and I haven't noticed them as much..so I'm thinking it has to do with the bloodflow like you're saying. Glad I'm not the only one experiencing it.

The first one I got, it was during/after football game where I told the coach I couldn't see straight and had to come out of the game..then vomited after..ambulance came and put me on fluids (luckily I refused to go to the hospital for a bit) then after after throwing said guts out I felt just fine and they left with puzzled looks on their faces :idunno:

Weird. I'll ask the doc next time I see him.

Aloha my oldest suffers from migraines with "aura" which she knows when comimg...blurred vision followed by tunnel vision then the migraine that will last anywhere from 3-8 hrs and same with vomiting and sleep.

I would talk to your doctor...sounds like classic migraine with aura ...

We saw a neurologist to rule out other things ( she was 12 at the time) and we are convinced it was hormonal changes that brought them to surface. Luckily none in past 6 months. They are quite unnerving for us as she slurrs speech, completely disoriented and just out of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
My wife gets migraines with blurred vision that she likens to "snow" on an old TV. She has about 10-15 minutes to take her meds (I have to check to see which one it is now as they've been changed) or the migraine sets in and then it's 10-12 hrs in bed.

I get them occasionally. Never a headache, just the weird vision. It's hard to explain, but it makes focusing on anything almost impossible. Usually mine only last an hour or so.

i get the visual thing too...it's like a circle of colors in my left eye and i can't see anything...

there has never been a headache associated with it but it's become more frequent in the last year....

i do get headaches often but not with the pinwheel...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom