Anyone go to the Stones concert? (1 Viewer)

FLIPPY

Angler of the Year
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Heard mixed reviews on the radio this morning..

Some said it was great, some say they sounded terrible...

I went to the Stones concert when Living Colour opened for them in 1987 or maybe 88. It was the Steel Wheels tour and marketed as the last tour the Stones were going to do. Living Colour rocked the house. The Stones were a tremendous let-down. I could not understand why Mick kept strutting around like a Rooster. I doubt much has changed between 1987 and 2019 as far as them disappointing fans.

I went to the Stones concert when Living Colour opened for them in 1987 or maybe 88. It was the Steel Wheels tour and marketed as the last tour the Stones were going to do. Living Colour rocked the house. The Stones were a tremendous let-down. I could not understand why Mick kept strutting around like a Rooster. I doubt much has changed between 1987 and 2019 as far as them disappointing fans.

I’m pretty sure it was ‘89.

But yeah, it reminds me of when i went to see Hall & Oates last year at the Smoothie King (not comparing H&O to the Stones).. they were ok, but you could definitely tell they were in their 70s, and there was an element of going through the motions.. whereas their opener, Train, really kicked *** and even though i liked them casually before, they made me into a fan of theirs.

They can't all be disappointed - Stones are the number 1 grossing act on tour since 1990. This list is five years old but I suspect they're still up top.

They sounded horrible live back then, I can't imagine how bad they sound now half-live.

You are probably right. I was at La Tech at the time, so it was at least 88. I have been to a lot of concerts since then and most of the brain cells from those days are long gone!

But yeah, it reminds me of when i went to see Hall & Oates last year at the Smoothie King (not comparing H&O to the Stones).. they were ok, but you could definitely tell they were in their 70s, and there was an element of going through the motions.. whereas their opener, Train, really kicked *** and even though i liked them casually before, they made me into a fan of theirs.
in this way i 'kinda' like what the Neville Bros do (or did, it's been a minute since i've sen them live)
they would come out an be like, 'here are 2 of our big hits' then 'he check out our little cousins for 10 songs' then 'we'd like to close with 2 even bigger hits'

I thought they sounded better last night than in 81, 89 or any of the other times. It was a little more hard rock than their usual shows and the guitars were on a higher level. The first "farewell" tour I saw in 1981 was probably better, but I was 13. I'm sure this will be the last time they manage the dome.

Everybody's on the Train train.

Heard mixed reviews on the radio this morning..

Some said it was great, some say they sounded terrible...
Yeah, I heard some so so reviews.
They’re old and really should get a lot of latitude imo

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom