Anyone go to the Stones concert? (1 Viewer)

I was there & thought it was a good show, better than I expected (never been a big fan of live Stones clips)---give credit to Mick, he brings a lot of energy still & looks good. Ron Wood looks decent as well. Charlie Watts, though, looked like he escaped from The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Keith---well, Keith just looked like Keith

Because of nostalgia.

This is a huge part of it I think

I imagine that a lot of people don’t go to see the 2019 Rolling Stones to see the the 2019 Rolling Stones

They go to be instantly transported back to when they saw the 1968 Stones or the 1973 Stones or the 1980 Stones

I think that going to these older act concerts is more about what you can remember than what you can see

They can't all be disappointed - Stones are the number 1 grossing act on tour since 1990. This list is five years old but I suspect they're still up top.

This also speaks to the fact that fragmentation in culture means acts dont become nearly as popular as they used to. I read an article a while back about how Taylor Swift is pretty much the only artist from the last decade capable of performing arenas consistently. Everyone else who could was a nostalgia act.

This also speaks to the fact that fragmentation in culture means acts dont become nearly as popular as they used to. I read an article a while back about how Taylor Swift is pretty much the only artist from the last decade capable of performing arenas consistently. Everyone else who could was a nostalgia act.

I'm just trying to visualize the fragmentation in culture that you're speaking of. Maybe elaborate a bit?

I'm just trying to visualize the fragmentation in culture that you're speaking of. Maybe elaborate a bit?

Nothing captures the cultural zeitgeist like it used to. Game of Thrones would do like 12 million viewers and was considered a phenomenon, but go back a few decades and those numbers are paltry. There is more media than ever before but the audiences are fragmented and what you have now is a series of niches of varying size instead of true culturally penetrating acts like you used to. It applies to all forms of media. A bestseller in 2019 has nothing on one from 1979. The top selling musical act now probably wouldn't crack the top 10 teo or three decades ago. Movies make more money due to inflation but overall blockbuster ticket sales are still down on average.

In short, being a big deal in the past was, well, a much bigger deal than it is now.

Nothing captures the cultural zeitgeist like it used to. Game of Thrones would do like 12 million viewers and was considered a phenomenon, but go back a few decades and those numbers are paltry. There is more media than ever before but the audiences are fragmented and what you have now is a series of niches of varying size instead of true culturally penetrating acts like you used to. It applies to all forms of media. A bestseller in 2019 has nothing on one from 1979. The top selling musical act now probably wouldn't crack the top 10 teo or three decades ago. Movies make more money due to inflation but overall blockbuster ticket sales are still down on average.

In short, being a big deal in the past was, well, a much bigger deal than it is now.

Maybe, but being a bigger deal crossing those cultural barriers seems a lot harder now. But what you're saying does make sense. Thanks.

I hate (HATE) seeing concerts in the Dome but it was a fun show. I thought Mick's voice got stronger as the night went on, which was a pleasant surprise.

The 9 minute tear through Midnight Rambler was as good as any Stones performance I've seen.

I hate (HATE) seeing concerts in the Dome but it was a fun show. I thought Mick's voice got stronger as the night went on, which was a pleasant surprise.

The 9 minute tear through Midnight Rambler was as good as any Stones performance I've seen.

I took two 15 year old who've seen Panic at the Disco, Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. One boy and one girl. They thought it was cool. They thought it was not cool that they couldn't get overpriced sugar from sucre on the way out this morning.

I had tickets that my wife won from a radio station but when the show was moved from Sunday to Monday I was unable to go. We were pretty disappointed, would have been my first Stones show.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom