Anyone had a vertebrae fusion? (2 Viewers)

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My doc tells me it's very common. I have significant disc problems:

"At C6-C7 there is very large disc protrusion that impinges on the left
side of the cord as well as the nerve roots exiting at this level.

At C7-T1 there is also another large disc protrusion to the left of
midline that fills the neuroforamina and distorts both the dural sac
and nerve root to the left."

In conclusion:

"IMPRESSION:
1. Very large disc protrusions to the left at C6-C7 and C7-T1 with
significant compromise of the nerve roots and cord at these levels."

I'm set up for two fusions a week from Friday. He didn't give much of a downside, only that I would lose some motion looking straight down, none side to side.

I'm nervous about this, has anyone here had this surgery? Thanks in advance for any help.

My other option is basically an epidural cortisone shot, which may relieve the pain temporarily but won't do anything to take away the cause of pain. In that case, they would just hope the herniations would shrink in time. Since I am also experiencing numbness in my fingers and weakness on that side, and my pain is fairly severe and constant, he thinks I will end up having the surgery eventually anyway.

my lovely wife did, took about 3 months to heal but she's been pain free since.

now i'm her only pain in the neck.

I had a fusion, but of the lower back....L5-S1. I've heard the neck is much easier and quicker to heal than the lower back.

Are you having a bone graph or are they using donor bone or hardware?

I had a bone graph(from my hip)....which at the time(13 years ago) gave it the best chance of taking/healing.

I'd like to make it out to sound like it was all an easy process but it was pretty painful and I've always said I don't wish back surgery on anyone.

I wish you good luck and a speedy recovery!

I had fusion at C4-C7. I still have pain but nothing like it was. They used cadaver Bo e and a steel plate with 6 screws. Looks crazy on X-ray. No obvious loss of motion but low grade pain most days. Took 9 months to fully recover but felt very good after only two. No real post surgical pain (related to the procedure itself).
I recommend exhausting all other options first.

I had c6 and c7 fusion about 9 years ago. They took a piece of bone from my hip (don't do this anymore I think) and a metal plate. Instant relief. About 6 weeks of healing, no loss in motion. All has been well until last year. The pain in my left arm starting coming back. I need fusion in c4 and c5 now, with the disk above that degenerating. I can tilt my head back and cause sharp pains down my arm. I'll get around to the surgery eventually. Good Luck!

Thanks, guys, appreciate the responses. They will use a synthetic to take the place of the discs and metal plates to hold them in place. I really can't see waiting any longer due to constant severe pain and increasing numbness and weakness on left side.

Pre-surgery I had a 90 day scrip of Oxycontin. After the second night, I flushed them down the toilet. I hallucinated SO bad and it didn't even help relieve the pain.

my mom has had the surgery, ill get back to ya on what vertebrae it was. she tried everything outside of fusion and over a period of say 15 years it got progressively worse. she had the fusion maybe a year and a half ago and it has improved the quality of her life immensely. can't rotate her head left to right as far now(not a huge loss of range of movement, but it is noticeable), but the trade off is that she is pain free and very happy. If you need further info and/or have any questions pm me and ill get you her email. gl.

oh and she can't dunk anymore :(

My wife just had this done last October. C5-6, I think. Caused by a car accident. She went through more than 8 months of PT and nerve blocks, etc. before deciding to go forward with the surgery. The surgery went perfectly and she has no pain and no range of motion loss. Can't hardly see the scar either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom