anyone have a mossberg 500 or 590 shotgun? (1 Viewer)

diat150

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
how do you like it? It was kind of between that and the remington 870 for me but the mossberg has some features that I like better, such as not having to take your finger off the trigger to turn the safety off/on. It seems much better suited for home defense over the 870.

moss_46284.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 500 with the collapsable stock. Handles nice, kicks like a mule tho.
Mossberg-500-Tactical-01.jpg

is that the knoxx special ops stock? I thought those reduced the recoil alot

The Mossberg feels a lot more clunky to me compared to the 870 in the slide department. I would much prefer the Remington, but the Moss has proven to be very reliable.

Im not sure Diat. It came with the collapsable stock already installed. I added the heat guard on the top and a small flashlight mount that attaches to the end of the magazine tube. I also added a thicker rubber recoil pad. I had an 870 that I really liked, but it got ruined by Katrina. When I was replacing it the gun store had the mossberg in stock with almost everything I wanted installed.

I have a 590. I love it. I would have prefered a 590AI (Military Spec, beefier barrel, metal trigger group, thicker walled receiver ) but my local shop had this one and I had to get it.

Its got ghost ring sights, a 9 shot magazine tube, and its parkerized. The Marine version is a really nice lookin one too.

Really, you cant go wrong with either brand. I just liked the Mossbergs better. I plan on picking up an 870 at some point. There is defiantly more after market accessories for the 870 though.

Last edited:
yeah, im not downing the 870 at all. I actually have one that belonged to an uncle that passed away that I use for hunting. great gun. just a few features on the mossberg fit in better with home defense IMO, namely the safety.

btw, has anyone seen the aa-12?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fn02le8e0nQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fn02le8e0nQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

starts at about the 2 minute mark. thats just sick.

Just a word to the wise about using this or any shotgun as a home defense weapon. You don't want to use 00 buckshot because at inside your house range it will go into what you were aiming at and have a very good chance of going thru walls and doors and hitting things you weren't aiming at, especially if you live somewhere with thin walls and doors (like an apartment). You can do just fine with #4 thru #8 bird shot and cause less collateral damage. Also be warned, shooting a shotgun indoors without hearing protection is an very unpleasant and disorienting experience. It will temporarily blind and deafen you, unlike in the movies. If you get a chance, go to an indoor range and take a shot with no ear muffs. Ouch. It can make re acquiring your target if you missed a bit harder.

Just a word to the wise about using this or any shotgun as a home defense weapon. You don't want to use 00 buckshot because at inside your house range it will go into what you were aiming at and have a very good chance of going thru walls and doors and hitting things you weren't aiming at, especially if you live somewhere with thin walls and doors (like an apartment). You can do just fine with #4 thru #8 bird shot and cause less collateral damage. Also be warned, shooting a shotgun indoors without hearing protection is an very unpleasant and disorienting experience. It will temporarily blind and deafen you, unlike in the movies. If you get a chance, go to an indoor range and take a shot with no ear muffs. Ouch. It can make re acquiring your target if you missed a bit harder.

Thats darn right. I took my Mossy to the indoor range not long after I got it. I started out with extra light target loads for practice rounds. and finished with a few shots of turkey load. when the turkey load left my barrel, everyone on the range instantly stopped and had to see what made such a loud noise. :hihi:

They saw me chuckling like a little kid, Holy smokes! (Yeah, im a rookie with shotguns)

Can't go wrong with a mossburg 500 590 or Rem 870 ..

I went with the 870 express and i absolutely love it.

finally got the 590, unfortunately had to settle for blued instead of parkerized, but the price was right ($260).

I highly recommend anyone looking to lessen the recoil to look into the knoxx recoil suppression stocks. I would say it knocked the recoil down at least 90%. I highly recommend it.

here is a pic

patiosmallum4.jpg

A bayonet on a shotgun? Thats the first I have ever seen that. If you cant hit em with 5-7 rounds of 12 gage, just give it up.

A bayonet on a shotgun? Thats the first I have ever seen that. If you cant hit em with 5-7 rounds of 12 gage, just give it up.

i agree, but the bayonet lug comes standard on that model. I just got it for looks. :hihi: this model holds 8+1.

I think since the Marines wanted it, and use this model, its there, Im guessing anyway.

I like it, It is more of a close quarters combat weapon, or at least, more so then say, an AR.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom