anyone have a pond? check out mine, in progress (1 Viewer)

diat150

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
just wanted to see if anyone else has had a pond built. this one is just about done. its about 2.5 acres. some spots are up to 15 or so feet deep. also, there will be a ring levee around it. just looking for any tips or anything that can help. as you can see it is holding water pretty good. the guy digging has to pump water out all of the time.

patio006smalljp1.jpg

patio007smalloc2.jpg

patio008smallnr0.jpg

patio009smallxh9.jpg

patio010smallnu4.jpg

This looks very nice, is there any worry about excessive rain or an overflow of water?

Looks like it's going to be a nice pond. I have a pond about 2.5 acres also and about 20 feet deep in the deepest part. It's stocked with bass, bream and catfish. What are you going to stock yours with?

Looks like it's going to be a nice pond. I have a pond about 2.5 acres also and about 20 feet deep in the deepest part. It's stocked with bass, bream and catfish. What are you going to stock yours with?

looking to do the same, have you had to do anything "special" or you pretty much just stocked it and everything went well? also, do you do anything to keep the water level up? like a water well or anything? how about anything to stir up the water to keep it aerated?

Mind if I bring over my rod and reel? :)

looking to do the same, have you had to do anything "special" or you pretty much just stocked it and everything went well? also, do you do anything to keep the water level up? like a water well or anything? how about anything to stir up the water to keep it aerated?

My pond has a stream that feeds into it so it has fresh water all the time. The only thing I do is during the spring and summer about once a month I put in a bag of fish pond fertilizer.

im going to try and handle the water with just rainwater and if absolutely necessary open up the overflows to gain runoff. putting in a well to handle the volume and running the wire to get to it will be quite expensive.

There's a guy here in the Maurice area on LA 343 that stocks ponds . For about 1grand he'll put Brim and Bass.

He did our pond.

Try this
Shepherd's Ponds
3714 Hwy 343
Maurice, La. 70555

Phone: 337-230-9891
Fax: 337-385-2416

He'll answer your questions.

Good Luck

I was expecting a goldfish size pond thing. We had one of those. You are building a lake.

diat I have experience working with contractors on the construction of ponds and I usually recommend to landowners who want to build ponds the following website:

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/crops_livestock/aquaculture/recreational_ponds/

It has a lot of good information.

One of the things I stress the most is the safety factor of the pond while being constructed. What I mean by this is that the slopes on the edges aren't too steep to where if a child falls in they can get up and practically walk out if necessary. The pond is a great luxury, but can also be a large liability if an accident occurs. If you live close to any populated areas you can expect kids trying to sneak in to fish and/or swim once they realize the pond is there.

Not trying to discourage you cause a pond can be loads of fun when constructed and managed right.Good luck with the project.

diat I have experience working with contractors on the construction of ponds and I usually recommend to landowners who want to build ponds the following website:

One of the things I stress the most is the safety factor of the pond while being constructed. What I mean by this is that the slopes on the edges aren't too steep to where if a child falls in they can get up and practically walk out if necessary. The pond is a great luxury, but can also be a large liability if an accident occurs. If you live close to any populated areas you can expect kids trying to sneak in to fish and/or swim once they realize the pond is there.

Not trying to discourage you cause a pond can be loads of fun when constructed and managed right.Good luck with the project.

thanks, any info that you can give me on setting up the drains and such would really help. I see that they say anti seep collars, but havent heard of such a thing.

Correct

We have a 10 foot shelf around ours where the water is only 12 inches deep.

Not sure if you would want to do this, but, I had a friend a few years back that built one about that size and he picked a good chunk of it, put plastic on the bottom and small rocks, built a beach with sand along about 50 feet along with a shelter on the side with a bench, table, and a barbecue area. It was awesome and worked out fine.

I have about a 4 acre pond on my home property. Love it, but had to drain it last year. People sneaking in fishing had gotten it totally out of whack. Filled back up now, but haven't gotten around to restocking. Guess I will have to wait till fall now.

One last thing. Be careful cutting the grass on the levees with your lawn tractor. That;s how I found out how deep my pond was on the dam end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom