Anyone have a Sony LCD TV? (1 Viewer)

After reading that jayd365 and everyone's replies... Oh yea.. Got to have it.

Damned thing will prolly be bigger than my whole living room.

Joe

i have that tv and the ps3 and an hd box from cox in my bedroom. and my xbox 360 and my 36" sony trinitron in my living room. next thing is surround sound lol

I have the 42" Sony LCD that gets alot of use and has been a good unit. Don't fall for the 1080P marketing propganda if you can avoid it. Yeah maybe it is the latest but a nice 720P / 1080i unit being moved out would be the way I would go if buying today. (All of ESPN HD is 720P btw). Don't chase technology and you can save some good money. I am probaby in the minority on this opinion.

I have the 42" Sony LCD that gets alot of use and has been a good unit. Don't fall for the 1080P marketing propganda if you can avoid it. Yeah maybe it is the latest but a nice 720P / 1080i unit being moved out would be the way I would go if buying today. (All of ESPN HD is 720P btw). Don't chase technology and you can save some good money. I am probaby in the minority on this opinion.

No, Your not.. Because I have been eyeing the 720 and the picture looks great.. Plus the cost for it is about 14 now compared to 19 for the 1080.

They are having some open box specials at best buy now.. Like a 42 1080 LG for $899, but I am holding out for the Sony.

ANd thanks again guys/gals

Joe

I don't understand this buy a tv with 1080 discussion. All HDTV's have 720 or 1080 resolution. 720P or 1080i has been the standard as long as I can recall for HDTV's. The newer marketing ploy this year is 1080P capability. P or progressive means the resolutions is displayed all at once vs' i or interlaced 540 in one scan and 540 in a second scan to equal the 1080 resolution. I am not buying into the marketing that 1080P capability is worth the premium to have it right now. Others may disagree.

It is also important that an ATSC tuner is included but I am not aware of any displays only being sold now (this was an issue a few years back to watch for but not now).

I found the TV you are looking at on yahoo shopping starting at $943. You need to enter your zip code to calculate shipping cost, but some of the places have free shipping. I saved $900 on my 55 inch Sony by buying it online. I was suprised at how much Best Buy and Circuit City mark up their big electronics.
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Sony KD...9115,date:20080108,srch:kw,x:&sort=price&used=

Thanks Dave.. I am checking them now and reading reviews... Most of the resonably priced ones are the 720P's and priced at what Best buy had before Christmas.

I am going to go back to best buy and look again and ask.. In one of the reviews some guy was talking about during football games he had picture freeze or blurr, and blamed it on the processor. But it's been the only negative review of this prduct so far...

So many people here have replied about the Sony, that I am sure that they watched a Saints game on one. ;)

I'll keep surfing that site and see what happens...

I am amazed that I haven;t seen any after Christmas deals... I'll keep looking....

Joe

Review from CNET:

Reviewed on 11/13/07 <!-- reviewPage body -->Although CNET did not review the 40-inch Sony KDL-40S3000, we did review the 46-inch Sony KDL-46S000. Judging from their spec sheets, the two Sony flat-panel LCD HDTVs are essentially identical but for screen size, so we expect the picture quality of the 46-inch model to provide a good indication of how the 40-incher will perform. For more information, refer to the full review of the Sony KDL-46S3000. For additional details on Sony's flat-panel LCD HDTVs, see our roundup.

Sony makes superior sets. I have a Sony Wega 32" PIP analog set I paid ~$3,000 ten years ago. They now sell for $500. Consumer Reports rates the Sony 42"

The Sony Bravia KDL-40V3000 1080p set had an excellent, detailed picture and great color. Its 720p sibling, the Sony Bravia KDL-40S3000, did almost as well for a few hundred dollars less.

Of hundreds of sets tested, interestingly enough CR gave only two sets a Best Buy rating and one of them was a Sony...the Sony Bravia KDL-46S3000 that's a 720 set that rates as good as 1080 sets.

Highs
Excellent HD and standard-def picture quality, and very good picture quality with DVDs. Overall image detail can match the best displays, with excellent contrast, great overall brightness, and very good, accurate colors. Black levels were good for an LCD, though not as deep as on the better plasmas. It did a good job smoothing out jagged edges in movies and other film-based content.

Lows
Viewing angle was somewhat limited, so the picture lost some color, contrast, or brightness as we moved away from the center of the screen.

Bottom Line
Excellent HD performer wrapped in signature Sony styling. Although a 720p set, it competes well with the best 1080p models, and is lower priced. A CR Best Buy model.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom