Anyone Have Any Thoughts Regarding Vonn Bell? (1 Viewer)

We'll just have to disagree.

Jive Saint said:
Kevin Byard could have been had later. It's tough to lose picks in a deep draft.

iChill said:
We gave up too much. Our 3rd and 4th rounder....ouch.

mr.t said:
We already have safeties.We need pass rushers. If this draft is like 2014, heads need to roll. This is sooooo dumb.

saintsfaninhos said:
Deep draft you sure granted I wouldn't have done that trade he isn't the most physical safety.

saintsfannca said:
we definitely needed a backup safety, but trading your 3rd AND 4th to move up into the 2nd round is a lot.

I like Vonn Bell. But this one is a little shocking as well.

You better hope you have Carl Nicks sitting there in the 5th round. Because we only have 4 lineman right now, and we don't pick again til the 5th. You can't count that against Bell tho.

rsmith2783 said:
We can never get out of a draft without trading picks!

%$#%#$#$$%#$%#

LombardiGras said:
man right now i really do not like this. Success in the draft typically comes from trading back not trading up. Payton is always moving up in the draft. Im ****** that we wont be able to select an OG before the 5th round.

Bell is a FS so I take this selection to mean they regret the Byrd signing and will probably cut him in 2017.

UFCSaint said:
Same. I hate giving up our draft picks which seems to be a staple under Payton and Loomis.

watts said:
Can he play Guard?

BoNcHiE said:
No one is gonna argue that Vonn Bell isn't a good player and perfectly suited for that pick.

I'm just getting deja-vu to last year, where we kept thinking we were gonna take a guard, we didn't, and it haunted us all year.

WhoDatHank said:
I really can not believe we just did this. This is EXACTLY why were a horrible drafting team. We have two good starting safeties. We have ZERO starting caliber guards. We needed another starting DT and DE as well. Well we just gave all that up for a backup safety. Great move Saints! I liked the Sheldon Rankins pick, but our day two picks have been absolutely garbage. Now all we have left is a 5th and 7th rounder. We just ruined this draft.

SSS said:
Espn commentators basically said he's plays scared. back pedalling, avoiding contact...just GREAT#/_%#÷

Witchdoctor504 said:
Unfortunately it's a 3rd and 4th. We needed all of our picks.

LombardiGras said:
Data shows that the way to succeed in the NFL draft is to have more picks. That's what the Patriots do, they could have selected Bell but decided our 2 picks were the more valuable option. The Patriots are the closest thing to a dynasty that exists in the NFL, its hard to argue with their judgement.

Ti Rider said:
This is a real head scratcher......Vacarro and Bryd......a first round pick and ultra expensive Free Agent. Now Bell with all huge, gaping holes? Guard?

Now they have to absolutely nail the UDFA period.

BIGRON said:
Wish we would have stayed without trading. Look like multiple players was falling to us and we need as many picks as we could get in this draft. Giving up a 3rd this year and a 3rd next year would have been better than losing our 4th this year if they had to make the trade. Hoping for the best this year, GO SAINTS!

SuperSaint said:
A 5'10 safety who doesn't like to tackle, love it...

srcampbell said:
Not too thrilled but hoping he pans out. Bell is a talented coverage safety but he's baby butt soft. Tackles like my daughter.

reason2believe said:
Oh boy. Who Dat Nation throw down.

I was good with the first pick, and also the second pick. But to trade up, and give up the 4 th rounder, makes me feel like nothing has changed.

We still have a strong tendency to go WR in first two rounds, and give in to moving up for a player. I like the players chosen, but the tendencies are unmistakeable.

The problem is that we lose picks when we could draft more quality players. Some teams tend to be patient, keep their picks, and draft well. I think it is a sign that we are not good at identifying talent. So we identify a couple of guys to go after and move up to get them. Which shows a lack of patience and stomach for digging deeper in the draft for quality players. The best case is that these three picks prove to be first round talent, but the propensity to trade away picks is habitual and problematic.

thetownedrunkard said:
Worse is we coulda got billings with our third and still got a good guard in the 4th.

bclemms said:
Put me in the category of having doubts about Von Bell. I'm just not impressed with any part of his game other than having very few weaknesses. He seems to make plays on the ball well and isn't the best tackler but neither I would call great or terrible. I'm curious to see how he does but I'm not very hopeful. Looks like a guy with a low ceiling
and high floor. A guy that is too good to cut and not good enough to start.

I think Trae Elston makes Von Bell use those flexible hips and spine to look over his shoulder constantly.

ELLIASJWILLIAMS said:
I can see that. Don't know much about Elston outside of his highlight vid where he was used mostly as a SS but Bell has a few things that show up that can leave you underwhelmed.

Biggest thing tho is as long as he isn't Josh Bullocks the pick should pan out. If he turns into an elite FS great but if he plays like 15 Jairus Byrd year 2 for about 9 Mil less I'll take it will have been a solid decision. Should pay even more dividends because it frees up Vaccaro up in sub packages to do what he does best.

Personally I wonder if his game is a product of the Manti Teo effect. Where a lot of his int's were plays other guys made and his position at MLB in a scheme that was very MLB friendly helped put him around the ball. To me I see Bell finishing a lot of other players plays or benefiting from a Defensive Line/Front 7 that was one of the best in the country. Makes me wonder if his game could be exposed on a less talented team or by a jump up in pro speed.

His play speed already looks suspect at times and the fact that he came from a big program like OSU his ceiling as far as coaching is kind of limited too (similar to Alabama players).

So yeah....I can definitely see that assessment.

...Vonn Bell is not the top safety or free safety prospect in this draft. He’s just an average-to-good NFL free safety prospect.

...be a fourth-round prospect. Everything about him is average, from a translation-to-the-NFL perspective. He has average speed, average size, and is conveniently skipping out on all the pre-draft agility drill timings.

...His athleticism is worthy of competing for a roster spot in the NFL, but that’s about it. He’s a horrible tackler, offering the NFL only respectable coverage skills as a free safety. Too many whiffs, missed angles, and just dragging ballcarriers down – versus just clean knocking out the ballcarrier.

...Despite the flaws and limitations, some NFL team will probably pull the trigger on him in the top 50 overall in the draft.

...is a cornerback mindset playing free safety. He really doesn’t want to tackle all that much, and he’s always drifting around and coverage — but he does not have the high-end coverage ability or athleticism to be a legit NFL starting cornerback. He’s kind of a ‘tweener’…a bad tweener. He acts like a cornerback, but isn’t great in coverage. Free safety athleticism without the aggressiveness, or elite size or athleticism. He’s between a corner and safety…and not great at either.

...If you’re looking for a nickel or dime defensive back, Vonn Bell might do the trick. However, you don’t waste a top 50 draft pick on nickel DBs.

Erik Harrisud currently beating him out for snaps at FS so if I had to guess he'll be no better than a dimeback this year. Which is good...we don't need him to be more this year but I see his greatest chance to see the field is covering the slot in some packages

I may be way off (hard to tell without all 22), but it seems like we've been using our nickel/dime slot guys to drop into 2 high looks or robber looks as opposed to the SS like a lot of teams do. I think it's brilliant. Keeps KV in the box and lets someone better suited at zone drop deeper.

After reading my thoughts from LOE's rehash I still think the best thing about the pick is that it allows us to move on from Byrd in a year and have 2 cheap replacements in line in Bell/Harris competing. The 9mil or so we would be paying Byrd next year(not sure how much) could go to signing a guard like Ronald Leary or Josh Sitton in the 1st stages of FA next year.

Sure we maybe could have taken a guard but as noted i think we liked specific guards in the 2nd round. Joe Thuney, Joshua Garnett, and Germain Ifedi. According to Payton 2 of them went earlier than expected and we tried to trade up with the Pats (they had 2 back to back picks) and refused to trade us the 1st one to which they used on Thuney. They then traded us the 2nd of their two pics and the rest is history.

It was definitely a foresight pick but as I've noted before they probably didn't think they'd hit on Erik Harris(was brought in a SS but showed he is capable in coverage) too which is a major plus!

Rarely do you get instant impact guys at the FS position so there will be a learning curve for Bell but I'm happy we don't have to force him in there.

Agree EJW. I posted in multiple threads - check them - over the past months that I thought the Bell pick was a good pick. Also that we likely jumped in front of the Panthers to steal their pick away from them.

Am I as sure now as I was then? Maybe, maybe not, I dunno, the jury's still out.

But the point I was making was - not everyone liked the pick. Not on this board, not in the press. Some people think he's great, others think he's overrated, and others think the price was too much to move up. To me, that's the definition of controversial.

con·tro·ver·sy
noun
disagreement, typically when prolonged, public, and heated.
synonyms: disagreement, dispute, argument, debate, dissension, contention

If you think differing of opinions on a fan forum makes a draft pick controversial then every pick we make is controversial.

I already gave you two examples from analysts. Analysts that are not members of this board.

Let's just let this go. It's getting tiresome.

I already gave you two examples from analysts. Analysts that are not members of this board.

Let's just let this go. It's getting tiresome.

So 2 examples of analysts makes something controversial. Got it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom