Anyone here Fish the Rigolets / Lake Borgne / Lake Catherine area? (1 Viewer)

Infoman

You're a Towel!
Reaction score
I am new to fishing this area, and I have no clue...

I have fished the lower Lafitte area my whole life, and since moving to the Northshore a few years ago, I haven't had the type of boat needed to do any real fishing here.

I do now! ... but have no clue where to launch, what to fish for, where to fish them, or how to fish for them...

I'd like to take a trip tomorrow and do some exploring and fishing, (maybe a few reds would be nice)... just not sure what areas to stay away from or where to start... (I am told the Rigolets is where I need to go right now - but don't know jack about the area)

I'm sure I can find a spot or 2 and maybe get lucky... just don't want to end up on a sand bar or hitting an oyster reef trying to do so in my new boat (Oof)....

Any suggestions for this weekend with any detail would be greatly appreciated.... just me and my old dad looking to spend some time together on the water... any fish in the boat is a bonus.

PM me if you feel a certain kind of way about answering this on a public forum (LOL)

Thanks in advance.

so its been a minute since ive been, but in the fall, we would always shoot across lake borgne to fish the SE coast line or Grand Island then work back and catch the train trestles on a falling or rising tide. ( keep in mind its about a 35-45 min boat ride to get to )

less travel time- The other spot was the gate at intracoastal. They have a hole about 15 ft deep just to the left ( as you approach gate ) that will hold fish in the winter too.

keep looking at reports on RodnReel.com

as for sand bars, oyster beds...dont recall any. you can get hung up in little cuts if tide falling so just pay attention to that ( but you know that already ) . There are pleny of cuts off the Rigolets/Intracoastal -

We would launch at Rigolets Bait on Chef - Real easy to get to...I12 to 10 exit Bus 190 East to Chef (90 ) take right about 3 miles down. Live shirmp/shiners

1 min you are in the Rigolets

Best of luck and enjoy. aint nuttin like getting a line wet...

Last edited:
so its been a minute since ive been, but in the fall, we would always shoot across lake borgne to fish the SE coast line or Grand Island then work back and catch the train trestles on a falling or rising tide.

The other spot was the gate at intracoastal. They have a hole about 15 ft deep just to the left ( as you approach gate ) that will hold fish in the winter too.

keep looking at reports on RodnReel.com

Thanks, I appreciate the advice! I have seen Grand Island (Half Moon or whatever they call it) on the map... I won't lie... that looks like a ride, and I am not sure I have the guts to shoot out there without knowing the waters that well on my maiden voyage...

I'm really looking to just get my bearings on this trip... stay relatively close to the launch... Hangout with dad, and to pick up a few Reds/Specks/Flounder if I am lucky...

Thanks, I appreciate the advice! I have seen Grand Island (Half Moon or whatever they call it) on the map... I won't lie... that looks like a ride, and I am not sure I have the guts to shoot out there without knowing the waters that well on my maiden voyage...

I'm really looking to just get my bearings on this trip... stay relatively close to the launch... Hangout with dad, and to pick up a few Reds/Specks/Flounder if I am lucky...

there is nothing but open water on that ride ...few oyster bed poles, some crab traps, but its a smooth ride

in that case, if you launch there , take left and ride to the train trestles( 10 min ride ) and fish the banks, working your way back toward launch. Hit the pilings under the bridge too.

you can go right too....toward twin spans.

good luck

i let my balls touch the water. not a bad place to just fork around in before the lake 'police' try to kick you out.

there is nothing but open water on that ride ...few oyster bed poles, some crab traps, but its a smooth ride

good luck

It's been a hour since I've been,but you're generally correct. A passing cold front will usually bring a strong north wind. In areas protected by trees the water can be slick as glass. Once you hit the open waters at intercoastal you can find very choppy conditions.

The above, last time I went was before the technology we have available today. The conditions you'll face is just one click away on
your smartphone in todays era

I bet the Fishbrain app will help you, too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom