Anyone here hot shot? (1 Viewer)

I just saw a Progressive quote on a Tractor/Trailer - Liability, Physical Damage, and Motor Truck Cargo for $60k total. Probably 6 years ago they were paying $15k in La. A bit apples vs oranges, but hot shots are seeing the same things. That's kind of what efil is referring too.

Forget Progressive- they want no part of Long or Short Haul trucking in La. So they price it accordingly ( as they HAVE to provide a QUOTE- by charter )

That only leaves you with 2-3 carriers. ( depending on few factors could be as little as one other carrier )

Just quoted a car hauler- 2019 Dodge 2500 with a 3 car trailer...$43,000 annual.

thats WITHOUT Cargo, Garage liability or Workers comp.

JUST. THE. LIABILITY.

oh and that quote you saw....was for 6 mo. not a year. ( as they ONLY OFFER 6 mo terms )

Wrap your brain around that. ( unless the actual quote was 30k for 6 mo and you just annualized it )

Forget Progressive- they want no part of Long or Short Haul trucking in La. So they price it accordingly ( as they HAVE to provide a QUOTE- by charter )

That only leaves you with 2-3 carriers. ( depending on few factors could be as little as one other carrier )

Just quoted a car hauler- 2019 Dodge 2500 with a 3 car trailer...$43,000 annual.

thats WITHOUT Cargo, Garage liability or Workers comp.

JUST. THE. LIABILITY.

oh and that quote you saw....was for 6 mo. not a year. ( as they ONLY OFFER 6 mo terms )

Wrap your brain around that. ( unless the actual quote was 30k for 6 mo and you just annualized it )

Yep, 6 months $60k. I have no idea how our truckers are operating in La currently. I know the owner of a local tow truck company here and he took a pretty nasty injury last year, but refused to file a claim, because he can't afford to lose his current carrier.

Yep, 6 months $60k. I have no idea how our truckers are operating in La currently. I know the owner of a local tow truck company here and he took a pretty nasty injury last year, but refused to file a claim, because he can't afford to lose his current carrier.

Prolly KBR or QEO - and i dont blame him.

Lose one of them and your effectively out of biz.

Have ever wondered why vacant land sales and PO Box applications have increased in Mississippi? Now you know.

Things have to change in Louisiana and soon or there could be some serious issues for business owners in the Transportation Business. Pay attention to the Tort Reform promoters in your area.

Louisiana faced a similar problem in the early 90's with Workers Compensation until the Tort Reform changes were passed. It needs to happen again for Commercial and Personal Automobile.

I don't drive but hired a driver/team to pull a trailer from Seattle to NC a few years back. Went off just fine. Why are the insurance rates so high?

I don't drive but hired a driver/team to pull a trailer from Seattle to NC a few years back. Went off just fine. Why are the insurance rates so high?
Law suits.
Its that simple.

Have ever wondered why vacant land sales and PO Box applications have increased in Mississippi? Now you know.

Things have to change in Louisiana and soon or there could be some serious issues for business owners in the Transportation Business. Pay attention to the Tort Reform promoters in your area.

Louisiana faced a similar problem in the early 90's with Workers Compensation until the Tort Reform changes were passed. It needs to happen again for Commercial and Personal Automobile.

Last November I had a local party bus client up for renewal. 22k for 2 units.

Moved to Bay st. Louis. Got dot# and with the SAME CARRIER, got pricing of 9k.

Lost the account.

Another client of mine is the brother of a state senator. He won a contract for trash/refuse collection in North LA. Called me to price out 1 stake body and 2 rear loader trash trucks.

72k for 6 months.

Seventy Two THOUSAND... He relenquished the contract. I told him take that proposal straight to your brother and tell him we have a real problem.

Last November I had a local party bus client up for renewal. 22k for 2 units.

Moved to Bay st. Louis. Got dot# and with the SAME CARRIER, got pricing of 9k.

Lost the account.

Another client of mine is the brother of a state senator. He won a contract for trash/refuse collection in North LA. Called me to price out 1 stake body and 2 rear loader trash trucks.

72k for 6 months.

Seventy Two THOUSAND... He relenquished the contract. I told him take that proposal straight to your brother and tell him we have a real problem.

It is getting beyond ridiculous.

Wow. Such feedback here. Crazy.

I actually am suppose to start work April 13th. But with all thats happened in the last week. Im afraid I wont start and they will "push" it back.

It is in the Oil and Gas field.

That's where the money is.
they usually couldn't care less about how much something costs to ship..

a lot of my friends are in the O & G industry and the current ppb is just not feasible for continued growth

they said ppbl needs to be around $50

They probably will now, at least for oil)
I work in the fertilizer industry. our La plants went idle because of extremely low prices. while we were down, I was one who stayed working during the idle.
not once during this were they ever worried about the cost of getting something hot shot to or from the plant during the idle for those 3 months.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom