Anyone here lived/live abroad? (1 Viewer)

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I’ve been romanticizing about this the past few years especially as I have more and more freedom to work 100% remote. Heck, maybe even just live abroad a quarter of the year or so..though I admit I don’t know if that’s possible if I’m technically still working for an American company.There are so many wonderful places I’d like to explore outside of the states. Any good recs on places for expats or those on temp visa?

I’ve been romanticizing about this the past few years especially as I have more and more freedom to work 100% remote. Heck, maybe even just live abroad a quarter of the year or so..though I admit I don’t know if that’s possible if I’m technically still working for an American company.There are so many wonderful places I’d like to explore outside of the states. Any good recs on places for expats or those on temp visa?

Yes I’ve looked into it, though I’m not 100% remote.. if it were me, i’d be looking at someplace tropical but where the cost of living is low, like certain areas of Belize, Costa Rica or Aruba.. i dont believe there are any restrictions on where your pay comes from, as long as you can show that you earn a certain amount (very low) each month.. however, a lot of areas in the Caribbean (like the ones i mentioned) currently have a sargassum seaweed problem that has rendered their beaches unusable for the last year or two, some of the world’s most beautiful beaches in fact.. but those areas are still a lot closer to the States than other places like Europe or Australia .. Good luck!

you're probably looking for something more exotic than Canada. Although Lake Charles to Toronto is a pretty big paradigm shift, I'll say. It was enough of a culture shock for me to legitimately feel 'abroad'

I’ll say that i know at least a handful of people that are from the States and either live in Germany and have for many years or lived there for years previously. They all love it. I was there briefly on my way to the sandbox but don’t get the hype on the outside looking in. People were really nice for short time i was there though.

Last edited:
I've always lived just the way I was born.

I can recommend my hometown, of Mérida, Yucatán. Huge U.S. expat community, many retired, many working remotely... all the amenities you want in a big city, within a culture that goes back 1000 years. 15 minutes from the beach, no sargassum there :hihi: , exotic locations... Mexican food you probably never have heard of or tasted...

I'd be there right now if it weren't for my place of employment not allowing me to take my work laptop with me outside the U.S. But if everything goes well, starting next year, I'll be there.

Despite my username, I now live just outside of Paris, France. I am technically assigned from our American subsidiary to our French parent company, but effectively I work for a French company.
I wish I knew French better, but otherwise it has been positive. My kids are getting a great experience and learning about different cultures. Travel in Europe is relatively cheap as long as you plan ahead.
There are expat communities around most medium and large international communities. Expats tend to be on assignment for a few years, then move to the next assignment. Since the community is very transient, there's usually a Facebook group for expats around each that can offer suggestions and help.
I would encourage you to explore it. There are lots of families who I know that were happy to be moving back to the US, but none that I have encountered that regret having lived overseas.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Mexico City. Nine years and counting. Mexico in general is pretty welcoming I think.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom