Anyone kayak fish? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I've always been into fishing as long as I could remember.

Last year I bought a kayak after my dad bought his. I went with a Hobie Outback and fell in love. Since then, I've outgrown it and now have a Hobie Pro Angler 14. I am part of the Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club (Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club)

Anyone here into kayak fishing? I typically fish Leeville, Golden Meadow, and Besons in Cut Off. I'll be moving to Bourg next year after our house is done so I will focus more on the Point aux Cheins, Cocodrie, and other areas around there.

Yes, just stated with kayak last year, but used a pirogue before then and mostly fish Montegut area. Also visit the BCKFC site often.

I always had a little John boat with a 9.5hp 1971 Johnson that I loved for fishing. Last year I fished from a kayak in the sounds and inland here in NC, and even though I got dumped (but saved all my rods and tackle) I still had a blast. I'll probably buy one soon, but definitely will need the pontoons.

I was visiting New Orleans a few years ago and ended up renting a Hobie Outback and took it fishing over by Chico Lagoon in New Orleans East. Probably one of the funner fishing trips I've ever had. Darn near broke my back trying to get it on and off the roof of my car ... did end up breaking my driver's side mirror off though.

I was visiting New Orleans a few years ago and ended up renting a Hobie Outback and took it fishing over by Chico Lagoon in New Orleans East. Probably one of the funner fishing trips I've ever had. Darn near broke my back trying to get it on and off the roof of my car ... did end up breaking my driver's side mirror off though.

Lol, yea, they are kinda heavy. I went from the Outback to the PA14. I can barely handle it by myself.

Lol, yea, they are kinda heavy. I went from the Outback to the PA14. I can barely handle it by myself.

It probably wouldn't have been so bad if I owned the kayak. I'd have the proper roof rack and rig up some sort of roller system to where I could push it onto the roof from the rear of the car instead of trying to lift the entire weight of the kayak from the side of the car.

How do you transport the PA14 around, do you use a trailer or truck or what?

Why use a kayak over a pirogue? I wish I still had my old one. I can get kayaks up here but not a pirogue.

It probably wouldn't have been so bad if I owned the kayak. I'd have the proper roof rack and rig up some sort of roller system to where I could push it onto the roof from the rear of the car instead of trying to lift the entire weight of the kayak from the side of the car.

How do you transport the PA14 around, do you use a trailer or truck or what?

I have a trailer for it. I made a crazy deal for a kayak and trailer. Sold the kayak and it paid for both the kayak and trailer.

Why use a kayak over a pirogue? I wish I still had my old one. I can get kayaks up here but not a pirogue.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lD6OQhCeXqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the stability difference from a kayak to a pirogue is insane.

that's pretty damn cool

I'm strongly considering this as a way to get back on the water. I used to fish pretty often as a kid but I moved to New Orleans and don't have a boat. So it's always a big production to get my uncle or whoever to take me out.

I went with a buddy of mine last sunday to Pointe aux Chene in his two man kayak. The water was way high from the south wind and the storm, so fishing was terrible in terms of catching anything. But the proof of concept was there. After an hour or so, I got used to the balancing and felt more comfortable. We had a blast. I will say however, that with that wind we would have gotten nowhere without the trolling motor he had just installed.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lD6OQhCeXqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the stability difference from a kayak to a pirogue is insane.

How do those systems do in shallow water? It doesn't seem like it would do well in the salt water marshes.

EDIT: It looks like those easily go in and out of position, so pulling the fins up in the shallow ponds wouldn't be an issue.

How do those systems do in shallow water? It doesn't seem like it would do well in the salt water marshes.

EDIT: It looks like those easily go in and out of position, so pulling the fins up in the shallow ponds wouldn't be an issue.

You can push the fins up against the boat and lock in place with a bungee inside.... or you can just take them out. I got stuck on some submerged pipes the other day. It was horrible. Wind was killing me and I couldn't get anywhere. Almost had to get out the boat and get myself out. Kayak took a beating, but I eventually got off them.

We plan on fishing PAC soon. I will be moving to Bourg next year so that will be my new fishing area.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom