Anyone know what Mike Detillier had to say about our first pick? (3 Viewers)

My issue is not with the player... My issue is, I think we could have possibly got him at pick 60... I think that's where Mike was too.
Not sure if that was the case. He was pegged as a quick riser based on good medical reports. We may have been able to trade down to early 2nd and get him, but not sure if he makes it all the way to 60. Have to trust the scouts on him as he has a few question marks given injury history, and production against a lower level of competition. However, the staff clearly sees something in him that made them pretty excited to get him.

Man we had an old saying growing up on the bayou, you can't catch a gator with rice in your ears. And I guarantee you Sean payton and Mickey Loomis are learning that the hard way right now.

I look at it differently, I think it all depends on how much you trust Jeff Ireland and his scouting staff. Guys seem to think you are supposed to hit on EVERY SINGLE PICK.....no one does....that said Ireland drafting defensive players is more hit than miss, I trust him still....also what EJW said....context, situation and circumstances sometimes are meaningful....the more I read about him, the more I like the pick...we'll see what happens....

Raised legit questions about why his production is/was low but also disregarded a legit explanation. Extrapolate his numbers from last year across a full schedule and your looking at 20 TFL and 13 sacks.

1st round production

another important point is that there are never 32 1st round prospects. Sometime it’s 15 sometimes it’s fewer but picking at 28 usually means you’re getting 2nd round prospects anyhow.

In other words everyone left likely had a 2nd round grade unless your the Saints who saw him as having 1st round traits.
He definitely has first round traits.
The film and production are there. He's a good football player.

I'm will ing to be when we went on the clock at 28, he was the top rated guy on there board, at a position of need.

Sure we need a CB (maybe more than one), and probably a LB and maybe a S... but we have a lot of production to replace at DE to go along with contract / personnel questions on the horizon.

My issue is not with the player... My issue is, I think we could have possibly got him at pick 60... I think that's where Mike was too.

Except Turner himself said that NFL teams were telling him that he would go between picks 20 and 40. I can't think of any reason he would lie about that so it seems likely to be true. And, if it is, picking him at 28 isn't crazy and they could not have gotten him at 60. It's not great value, but it's also not a crazy reach.

I said possibly.... Still... A move up into the 40 - 50 range likely would have landed him in the 2nd... I don't see the value at 28... Again, I hope I am wrong and he's not another "measurables" guy like Davenport... and turns into JJ Watt.... I have never been big on "late risers" in the 1st... There are good reasons they were not there to start, and I think many teams out smart themselves when they do this. JMO

I look at it differently, I think it all depends on how much you trust Jeff Ireland and his scouting staff. Guys seem to think you are supposed to hit on EVERY SINGLE PICK.....no one does....that said Ireland drafting defensive players is more hit than miss, I trust him still....also what EJW said....context, situation and circumstances sometimes are meaningful....the more I read about him, the more I like the pick...we'll see what happens....

I'm not sure he is going to be a good player, but I particularly like the fact that the word on him is that he is a guy that gives full effort, is very intelligent, and loves to play football. Combine great effort, great athletic talent, intelligence, and love of the game and he has a shot to be really good. Davenport has intelligence and great athletic talent, but love of the game and commitment to the game is probably one of the major things that Davenport is missing at this point.

I said possibly.... Still... A move up into the 40 - 50 range likely would have landed him in the 2nd... I don't see the value at 28... Again, I hope I am wrong and he's not another "measurables" guy like Davenport... and turns into JJ Watt.... I have never been big on "late risers" in the 1st... There are good reasons they were not there to start, and I think many teams out smart themselves when they do this. JMO
There was a run on edge rushers after our pick. Pick 30-32 we're all edge rushers. You're assuming that those 3 teams wouldn't have drafted him. That's a huge assumption.

There was a run on edge rushers after our pick. Pick 30-32 we're all edge rushers. You're assuming that those 3 teams wouldn't have drafted him. That's a huge assumption.

I'm not assuming anything... I said possibly like 3 times... The assumption would be - That any team had a 1st round grade on him - Other than the Saints... I doubt it.... But it is possible I guess. I still don't like the pick, and hope to proven dead wrong - because if I am right, that's gonna be 3 wasted first round picks on "measurable" DE types.

Not going to lie. I went to bed underwhelmed. I stayed up to see this pick and it feels like a total let down. Hopefully the talking heads mentioning he had "heath issues" isn't major. Seems to be who we go after.

I don't think it's great value at 28, but unless Turner was wrong or teams were lying to him, he would have been gone by pick 40. So, they would have had to drop back no later than 40 or trade up to 40 to get him. And, it's possible that nobody wanted to make those deals or that those deals would have been too expensive. Anyway, it's not great value or terrible value based on what other NFL teams apparently felt about the player and maybe the Saints had a high enough grade on him that they didn't want to risk losing him if they moved back or couldn't make a deal to move up in the 2nd to get him.

I personally don't love the pick, but he could turn out to be great, and I don't have a big issue with the value of the pick. It's certainly better than trading up to take a guy that is more about potential than what he has done which we have done in the past.

I don't disagree with you, but our judgment of value is based on youtube videos and blogger analyses. We do not have access to game tape, players' coaches nor do we scout the players like those paid to do so within the organization.

No doubt... I'd never sit here and claim to be some type of expert on scouting college players... But I have played and watched a ton of football over the years.... I am also pretty tuned into the Saints roster (and it's strengths and weaknesses)....

I am floored that we couldn't move up 3 spots and take a guy like Newsome II (who went 26).... and instead took a guy (that is more likely than not) going to be a rotational / developmental guy for 2 seasons...

Instead of taking a player that can be a plug and play starter at a position that we are going to fielding guys like PJ Williams and Pat Robinson.... once Lattimore is inevitably suspended.

I am floored that we couldn't move up 3 spots and take a guy like Newsome II (who went 26).... and instead took a guy (that is more likely than not) going to be a rotational / developmental guy for 2 seasons...
I agree completely. That was my thought as well. And with the Jags picking Etienne, I cannot think they would have been concerned about losing him by dropping 3 spots. I thought the Jags spot was ripe for a trade up for Newsome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom