Anyone know what Mike Detillier had to say about our first pick? (1 Viewer)

He said he had him as the 9th ranked defensive linemen in the draft. Was a bit perplexed over the pick considering what was on the board at the time.
That's what I don't get. Don't mind the pick per se but why so high? How is he the BPA?

Based on everything I've read and heard so far about Turner, Detillier had him undervalued. He was shooting up teams' draft boards in the last two weeks and was starting to be talked about as a late first round pick. He is actually a classic Jeff Ireland pick in that his relative athletic score (RAS) is 9.74, which puts him at the highest end for size and athleticism in this year's draft for DE's. As long as Ireland has been with the Saints, the FO has never drafted a first round pick with a RAS under 9.

I’m going to trust the Houston staff that must have thought he’d be a better fit on the inside. Losing 20 pounds might make you faster but you either can bend or you can’t. I don’t blame Mikes assessment because it looked to be accurate based on what’s available on YouTube. He was a linear player in college who didn’t really demonstrate actual pass rush moves. Throw in injuries and a really limited sample size...he’s pretty much a riskier version of Davenport with less athleticism.
Except do a bit of research and you'll find explanations for most questions. I'm not saying Detellier was wrong or is wrong but just pointing out that if questions have answers you have to at least consider them.

The scouting service I used had all the same questions as Detellier...but also still has him as the top rated DE on their board. So there's a bit of solace in that but when you look at his RAS + Triangle #'s he's got as much upside as anyone you could have gotten at 28.

Add that to Ryan Nielsen working with him and as Underhill said...he's not quite the project Davenport was coming out.

Far from it...but a college system having a guy at the wrong position for 2 years isn't unheard of either.

I’m going to trust the Houston staff that must have thought he’d be a better fit on the inside. Losing 20 pounds might make you faster but you either can bend or you can’t. I don’t blame Mikes assessment because it looked to be accurate based on what’s available on YouTube. He was a linear player in college who didn’t really demonstrate actual pass rush moves. Throw in injuries and a really limited sample size...he’s pretty much a riskier version of Davenport with less athleticism.

I'm not sure that's true. It's only one play, but the guy looks quick and he sets up a very nice swim move here. Admittedly it is a very small sample size, but this does not look like a linear player to me. He looks to have a lot more quickness and more technique than Davenport.

Except do a bit of research and you'll find explanations for most questions. I'm not saying Detellier was wrong or is wrong but just pointing out that if questions have answers you have to at least consider them.

The scouting service I used had all the same questions as Detellier...but also still has him as the top rated DE on their board. So there's a bit of solace in that but when you look at his RAS + Triangle #'s he's got as much upside as anyone you could have gotten at 28.

Add that to Ryan Nielsen working with him and as Underhill said...he's not quite the project Davenport was coming out.

Far from it...but a college system having a guy at the wrong position for 2 years isn't unheard of either.
Top rated DE? Which service is that?

Top rated DE? Which service is that?

I use collegefootballmetrics.com. I'll DM you the PDF if you'd like to take a read. Have been using them for 4-5 years and they're always on top of the guys that media have no clue about.

They've been high on all of the Saints drafts since 2017 and we consistetnly take players from their list.

I hadn't even purchased this year (been doing other things besides Saints) but once I saw the pick, checked the site and saw they had a guide up I went and bought. Solely to get their take on him. I was happy after I read

I look at it differently, I think it all depends on how much you trust Jeff Ireland and his scouting staff. Guys seem to think you are supposed to hit on EVERY SINGLE PICK.....no one does....that said Ireland drafting defensive players is more hit than miss, I trust him still....also what EJW said....context, situation and circumstances sometimes are meaningful....the more I read about him, the more I like the pick...we'll see what happens....

No one hits on every single pick, or even every single first rounder. But a first round linemen should generally be pretty low risk picks, not boom or bust, and it seems like we reached on a guy with a lot of question marks at a position where we need more consistency.

I use collegefootballmetrics.com. I'll DM you the PDF if you'd like to take a read. Have been using them for 4-5 years and they're always on top of the guys that media have no clue about.

They've been high on all of the Saints drafts since 2017 and we consistetnly take players from their list.

I hadn't even purchased this year (been doing other things besides Saints) but once I saw the pick, checked the site and saw they had a guide up I went and bought. Solely to get their take on him. I was happy after I read

Thanks for the link. Definitely helps put my mind at ease a little. I think that everyone gets a little uneasy when they see that NOBODY has the same evaluation as the Saints staff, but I guess that's not the case. Thanks again

He said he had him as the 9th ranked defensive linemen in the draft. Was a bit perplexed over the pick considering what was on the board at the time.
Mike used to be on a local radio show in Lafayette most Saturdays. The year that the Saints had the worst defense in history, his comment just before the season started was that was the most athletic and deep defense that the Saints have had since the Dome Patrol. My friends and I remind each other about that often.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom