Anyone know what Mike Detillier had to say about our first pick? (1 Viewer)

I did not like the Turner pick, and I am skeptical that the Saints had him ranked as one of the top 16 players in the draft--NFL coaches are not known for their veracity, especially with regard to their draft selections that receive criticism.

However, if he was ranked in their top 16 players and was the top ranked player on their board at 28, the process demands that you take him and not trade down absent a very compelling offer by another team wanting to move up.

I hated the pick at first. But after further review I dig it. its a swing for the fences.
I'm gonna call it now- barring injury he will make all-pro at least once lol

His upside is outta this world having the longest wingspan in two decades and in the 99 percentile in the cone drill. he looks like a jj watt/bruce smith type

We went for Armstead cause he was simply the fastest OL. We went for jimmy graham despite him not having experience cause he was tall, thick enough and could jump .

THE second and fourth round picks sucked though. Ian Book was like burning a pick to me. Werner, caden ellis and zach baun do not make the dome patrol 2.0

My take on so called draft experts is that they are wrong as much as they are right. Also, the ones they're right about are generally consensus guys.

Does being right about a Payton Manning or Andrew Luck make you an expert? Anyone could read a newspaper and figure that out. So how many of them were right about Brady or Wilson? Oh that's right... none of them. I rest my case.

Last edited:
I did not like the Turner pick, and I am skeptical that the Saints had him ranked as one of the top 16 players in the draft--NFL coaches are not known for their veracity, especially with regard to their draft selections that receive criticism.

However, if he was ranked in their top 16 players and was the top ranked player on their board at 28, the process demands that you take him and not trade down absent a very compelling offer by another team wanting to move up.
One thing is certain, they had him rated above Rousseau, Oweh, and Tryon.

Will be very interesting to see how this plays out over the next few seasons.

Point well taken. They obviously had him rated higher than any edge rusher not named Jaelen Phillips, and only those inside the organization know where they had Phillips rated.

If only Vontae Mack had come out early.

WHich to me is funny because Mike loves to say that Stafford is going to be successful with a change of scenery, but not Jameis despite both QBs having ridiculously similar performances in their first five seasons. I love Mike, but I'm going to trust Sean on this one.

matt Stafford and winstons first 5 years are basically identical. But somehow Winston is seen as trash, but Matt is some franchise changer

I said possibly.... Still... A move up into the 40 - 50 range likely would have landed him in the 2nd... I don't see the value at 28... Again, I hope I am wrong and he's not another "measurables" guy like Davenport... and turns into JJ Watt.... I have never been big on "late risers" in the 1st... There are good reasons they were not there to start, and I think many teams out smart themselves when they do this. JMO
This draft was a weak draft in regards to the Dline. I don’t think Turner would’ve lasted until our 2nd rd pick.

I totally agree that Money Ball doesn't work in the NFL draft. First because you don't have stats against the same competition, but also because I don't think it works in football in general. Baseball comes down to objective stats with a certain amount of randomness based on the sequence of events like hits, strike outs, and walks. But, in the end, the law of averages plays out in baseball so good advanced metric stats really work if the sample size is large enough. Football just can't totally be reduced to objective stats the way baseball can.

Anway, I like the way the Saints draft and the reliance on RAS with the realization that their are exceptions makes sense in reducing the risks. The one criticism I have is that I would like them to trade up less often and do a better job of gathering more draft picks. I realize that there have not been a lot of open roster spots on the team the last few years, but because the draft is such a crap shoot, I like the idea of having more lottery tickets. But, that's a niggle. They have done a great job of building a deep and winning team over a long period of time.
At one time, I liked and agreed with the approach of acquiring more draft picks and getting more players. It seems reasonable that you statistically have a better shot at getting a good player the more times you can dip into the pool. This has been the Patriot way for years.

Looking back, I feel the Saints have a better approach. You take more shots the Patriot way, but you also get more misses. With the Saints, they identify exactly who they want and try to get them. I feel like more often than not they're right about that player.

We went for Armstead cause he was simply the fastest OL. We went for jimmy graham despite him not having experience cause he was tall, thick enough and could jump .

Yeah, I don't think it is that simple....we went for Armstead not because he was fast (40 times for an olineman are not that important) but because he was catlike quick for a 310lb lineman, he was also one of the strongest with over 30 reps on the bench press.

He also turned down FBS offers to play for a small school (ARK Pine Bluff) closer to home that would let him participate in the track and field program. He also has a very high IQ and high character guy in the locker room.....

Not just because he was fast, far from it....the Saints didn't draft particularly well back in 2013 - 15, but they got this pick right, probably the most value ever in the 3rd round....

Trust me, he was ranked their top 16. I know you are not doing this but it is worth saying that we can question the evaluation/scouting that led to the grade, but the grade is the grade and they highly valued this prospect.

It is kind of like Ryan Ramcyzk. They had such a high grade on Ram. If I remember correctly, he was in their top 15. For the team, the only thing that matters is where they grade the prospect. They ended up being right about Ramcyzk and I have a gut feeling they will be right about Turner.

Trust me, he was ranked their top 16. I know you are not doing this but it is worth saying that we can question the evaluation/scouting that led to the grade, but the grade is the grade and they highly valued this prospect.

It is kind of like Ryan Ramcyzk. They had such a high grade on Ram. If I remember correctly, he was in their top 15. For the team, the only thing that matters is where they grade the prospect. They ended up being right about Ramcyzk and I have a gut feeling they will be right about Turner.
Well said. I also have a notion that Turner will also pan out quite well.

And as you say, each team does their evaluation based on their own criteria and then draft on that basis. If they're not true to those evaluations, which are the culmination of thousands of hours of work by highly paid staff, why bother having a scouting team?

I agree completely. That was my thought as well. And with the Jags picking Etienne, I cannot think they would have been concerned about losing him by dropping 3 spots. I thought the Jags spot was ripe for a trade up for Newsome.
You needed someone to dance with and the word was, there were no takers to move up. As a result, you stick to your board. If Turner was the highest rated player, then you go with that.

This draft was a weak draft in regards to the Dline. I don’t think Turner would’ve lasted until our 2nd rd pick.
I heard someone on WWL Sunday morning state that Jacksonville was going to take him at 30 and someone else at 33.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom