Anyone know why Spiller did not play (1 Viewer)

I don't mind cadet over Murphy, but if it means no spiller then I say Colemen, Murphy sit and let Cadet, Spiller, and Tommy Lee play

I was thinking the same thing. Spiller is known as being a dynamic, explosive RB but maybe his game doesn't match his hype? He did have a very good season in 2012 but aside from that his numbers are a little underwhelming. He's had two seasons with over a thousand yards from scrimmage. He's played in 83 games and has 20 total TDs rushing & receiving. Compare that to Mark Ingram. He also has two seasons with over a thousand yards from scrimmage. Ingram has 26 TDs in 63 games.
Think about how much Payton force fed Cadet over the years on first stint with the Saints. Did Cadet produce much? There are just times when Payton will not bend after he gets a notion of what a player is or how he should be used and whatever it is Payton has made up his mind on Spiller.

Per the other poster, you don run for more than 1000 and catch almost 50 passes playing for the Bills in the same division as the Pats and Jets, with good defenses, unless you have something.

Now there may be something to Spiller's style that clashes with Payton's scheme or the way Payton demands it be done and there will be no recovering from that.

Either way, at the price paid it's a fail if Spiller is healthy and you simply think he doesn't ad more than Murphy.

I'm sure there will be games Spiller is active and Cadet is not and possibly throw Murphy into the rotation - having 6 active RBs per game is probably too many

The real argument maybe why have 6 RBs on the roster considering other needs

I'm sure there will be games Spiller is active and Cadet is not and possibly throw Murphy into the rotation - having 6 active RBs per game is probably too many

The real argument maybe why have 6 RBs on the roster considering other needs
6 is silly.

And if you end up rotating Spiller with Cadet it is still a fail because you overpaid for a situational satellite back who is deemed useful every other week?

6 is silly.

And if you end up rotating Spiller with Cadet it is still a fail because you overpaid for a situational satellite back who is deemed useful every other week?

The only thing that half way makes sense as to why we would keep 6 RBs and not play Spiller is that we are working on trading him.

I was thinking the same thing. Spiller is known as being a dynamic, explosive RB but maybe his game doesn't match his hype? He did have a very good season in 2012 but aside from that his numbers are a little underwhelming. He's had two seasons with over a thousand yards from scrimmage. He's played in 83 games and has 20 total TDs rushing & receiving. Compare that to Mark Ingram. He also has two seasons with over a thousand yards from scrimmage. Ingram has 26 TDs in 63 games.

Two things held Spiller's numbers down. One, he started getting injured in 2013 and two, while he was the every down back, Fred Jackson was the 3rd down/goalline back. It was pretty common for Spiller to carry the team down the field, then have Thomas come in and get the TD.

Buffalo ran a lot of max-protect on 3rd down, which Thomas took the snaps for. It's a known thing that Spiller wasn't very good at pass blocking, but that was known before the Saints signed him.

I suspect the Saints signed him expecting a 3rd down scat back that could pass protect and run the flats depending on the defensive look, but they signed an every down back. If the Saints have buyers remorse, that's on the Saints for not reading the warning labels before buying.

Well he looked pretty good in preseason and very good in Buffalo. So someone is not being truthful.

Right. Perhaps another instance of not knowing how to use someone's talent? And no matter how you look at it, this is a bad free agent move, because they either were wrong, or just don't know what to do with the player. He was great in Buffalo. And he served as the top RB, an every-down back there for a time. He was successful until injury. No matter how you want to slice it, this front office is on the hook again for a miss.

6 is silly.

I agree with the numbers don't see much advantage to keeping Murphy and Cadet , would probably keep Cadet over Murphy and activate all 5

Btw it was Gus Kattengell who said that he was being told that Spiller just isn't that good.

Btw it was Gus Kattengell who said that he was being told that Spiller just isn't that good.
Is there a good way to spin it?

If he is good and you can't figure out how to use him, that's a problem.

If he isn't good and you signed him to a big contract, that's a problem.

"That good" at what? The guy has been productive in the league its not like he's a rookie, or has never played any pro ball.

I don't know who Kattengell got that from, but I don't believe it.

Nobody was a bigger fan of signing Spiller than me. I thought he was a perfect fit and the guy we needed. But I think I might've put too much stock into his one year of production in 2012. Maybe the injuries took their toll and he's just not the same player he was?

The 2012 version of C.J. Spiller would never be a healthy scratch. I don't care what the numbers game is. An offensive coach like SP would find a way to get that man on the field. It's just a mystery.

The misuse or diagnosis of free agent signings is frustrating for sure. Maybe we can get Von Miller to put both hands in the dirt and play 4-3 end for us next season.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: the Saints have cut RB C.J. Spiller.</p>&mdash; Field Yates (@FieldYates) <a href="https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/775806964077064192">September 13, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom