Anyone notice how Sean Payton talks to Rob Ryan? (1 Viewer)

juicestain

Quickly getting slower...
Reaction score
I have noticed throughout the season, as well as last night, that Payton talks to Ryan with a look of disgust and ill-content. I never have noticed Payton going after Vitt, Johnson, or McGriff, the three main position coaches, like he does Ryan.

I'll say that I don't like it. I don't believe this defense is on Rob Ryan, but lack of technique and talent, something good position coaches help develop. Rob Ryan's job is to take these now coached up players and put them in the best position and formation to stop the opposing offense. The problem is, the players don't seem to be either catching on, can't grasp the concept of basic football techniques, or maybe the position coaches aren't the best for the job. I am leaning towards the last one.

I have noticed throughout the season, as well as last night, that Payton talks to Ryan with a look of disgust and ill-content. I never have noticed Payton going after Vitt, Johnson, or McGriff, the three main position coaches, like he does Ryan.

I'll say that I don't like it. I don't believe this defense is on Rob Ryan, but lack of technique and talent, something good position coaches help develop. Rob Ryan's job is to take these now coached up players and put them in the best position and formation to stop the opposing offense. The problem is, the players don't seem to be either catching on, can't grasp the concept of basic football techniques, or maybe the position coaches aren't the best for the job. I am leaning towards the last one.

It's Rob Ryan who's calling the plays and Rob Ryan who is ultimately responsible for the defense.

Why would he walk over and scream at Vitt during a game?

That long sideline shot last night was certainly painful, but how the heck is a fan watching on television supposed to be able to interpret their relationship based on a heat of the moment exchange. All of the coaching speculation in a down year is just that, idle chit chat. I've got the same problem with guys calling radio shows with "the answer" of some semi-secret locker room problem.

Well, it was Rob's fault that we only had 10 men on the field and had to waste a timeout. He deserved to be chewed out. The camera will always want to show Payton chewing Rob out because it makes good TV. The people watching don't know who McMahon or Vitt are so they wouldn't even show it if they're getting chewed out.

Sean Payton needs to go stand in front of the ** mirror.

He is 11-13 in his past 24 games. That falls on him. Not Rob Ryan.

Sean Payton has a .458 winning percentage his last 24 games. A large sample size. He had a team pegged to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl, and he cant even win at home anymore. Its going to get UGLY in Pittsburgh.

The only thing I can find a positive in, is that I have Leveon Bell on my fantasy team.

I get the impression that Ryan doesn't take it the way that you do. Polite discourse does not exist on a NFL sideline.

Payton said in an interview during the bye - when he was asked about that shot of him yelling at RR during the Cleveland game - that if you look back to previous seasons, you can find footage of him yelling at every single coach. It's just part of the game.

Now this is a great thread! See I wonder about this stuff all the time. I mean, how come we don't see Sean holding Rob's hand and gently whispering in his ear? Isn't that how men are supposed to talk on the sideline of a professional football game with an incredibly loud atmosphere?

Why would he walk over and scream at Vitt during a game?

Because our linebackers suck? I mean, honestly, when is the last time we drafted a linebacker and developed him? It hasn't happened under Joe Vitt's rein. Payton has to recognize that and make a change....

Well, it was Rob's fault that we only had 10 men on the field and had to waste a timeout. He deserved to be chewed out. The camera will always want to show Payton chewing Rob out because it makes good TV. The people watching don't know who McMahon or Vitt are so they wouldn't even show it if they're getting chewed out.

A key point to all of this is that we only see what we are shown.

And fans who sit behind our bench probably don't spend all game watching Payton interact with coaches.

I remember last year, Payton is quoted complaining about the defense, but not the coaches. "it's like Denny's at 2am. What you're calling is not what you're getting".

I thought we made a great half time adjustment. Start of the third, we were shutting down their run game that gashed us in the first half. We just kept failing 3rd and longs. And then the wheels came off later.

Because our linebackers suck? I mean, honestly, when is the last time we drafted a linebacker and developed him? It hasn't happened under Joe Vitt's rein. Payton has to recognize that and make a change....

And that has nothing to do with gameday emotions.

Payton gets on Ryan when he can't get 11 men on the field or calls a stupid play that gives up yet another 3rd and 20.

Because RR is the DC which means he is responsible for the entire defense including the position coaches. So if the position coaches aren't doing their job then RR needs to get onto them like Sean was getting onto RR. I don't know if RR is trying to make things to complicated but our defense looked atrocious last night. D-linemen getting blown up at the LOS, terrible tackling, and just over all terrible play. These all fall under RR's responsibilities to fix and he hasn't made any improvements all season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom