Anyone on here a Type 1.5 Diabetic or on the insulin pump? (1 Viewer)

Broknbusted

Saints fan in Eagle land
Reaction score
I was diagnosed as Type 1.5 not long ago. For those that don't know, Type 1.5 Diabetes is also called Late onset Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA). For an easy way to explain it, it's Type 1 that hits as an adult. In Type 1, your pancreas doesn't produce insulin and is controlled with insulin injections.. In Type 2, it doesn't produce enough insulin and can be controlled with oral meds or insulin. Type 1.5, your pancreas is slowly "dying off" and quits producing for the most part, but has "waking" periods where it spurts out insulin, causing crashes of low blood sugar. Eventually the pancreas stops producing insulin all together. It sucks!!! I am on at least 4 shots of insulin a day now.

My sugars have been under better control now that I am on insulin, down from the 400's to closer to a normal range. I do however have crashes on occasions.So my Doc is starting me on the pump once the insurance clears it. I have heard lots of good things about the pump. Anyone on it that can give me anything I need to look out for once I start it?

no problem. I cant remember the types i know my grandmother had to take a shot of insulin 2 or 3 times a day. My mom has to prick her finger and check blood for it a few times a day and then my dad was able to control with just a pill and now he is full blown.

Me Im just waiting my turn.

I am type 2 but am on insulin. Long story short was diagnosed at 22, was tested many times and was fine, after my oldest brother was diagnosed when he graduated college and had a physical for work. My mom is hypoglycemic so she made my dad, brother, and myself get tested twice year. I was fine and tested normal all the way through fall of my junior year of college........ then blam at the end of they spring semester I was type 2. Really sucked because I was a workout warrior and in the best shape of my life. So I guess genetics, although other than my brother no family history of diabetes.

I was able to keep it in check with an oral medication until I was diagnosed with cancer when I was 28. Once I went on chemo had to switch to insulin because oral medications could not keep up. After chemo tried going back to oral meds only and they didn't work so I have been on insulin since. I take humolog and lantus and keep my numbers in check. I use the pens, but thinking about the pump.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom