Anyone remember Brett Maxie.... (1 Viewer)

Maxie played some good ball for us. Someone mentioned Massey, whenever I think of Robert Massey, I think of Flipper Anderson. Oh that match-up was ugly.

hehe, but he ended up as a pro bowler in 1992, scoring like 3 tds on int return

>>Mean Gene would lay the wood to you.

His hits were brutal. He almost always went forearm or shoulder to the upper body. I saw many receivers crumple when hit by Atkins. Don't get me wrong, he was no Chuck Cecil, but he was up there with the best hitters of the 80's and 90's.

:rock:

TPS

>>Mean Gene would lay the wood to you.

His hits were brutal. He almost always went forearm or shoulder to the upper body. I saw many receivers crumple when hit by Atkins. Don't get me wrong, he was no Chuck Cecil, but he was up there with the best hitters of the 80's and 90's.

:rock:

TPS

Yeah, i always liked Atkins' play...he was a hitter. You know who else was for us? Bennie Thompson, one of my all-time favs.

Toast Cook WAS garbage.

toi cook was garbage...

Not really true. He didn't have good foot speed, but he had good instincts. The Saints liked corners who could be physical and play the short balls and short passing game well out of a zone defense--because of their tremendous pass rush, you didn't have to have corners with blazing speed. Cook was pretty decent in that role. When the pass rush wasn't there, he was exposed.

Maxie was a great safety. His career as a Saint ended after he blew out his knee. I remember the Saints staff said that when he was injured, they felt he was the best safety in the league. Pretty strong words.

Maxie blew out his other knee either the next year, or two years later.

He was terribly underrated by Saints fans.

Last edited:
I loved Brett Maxie, I'd always use either him or Sam Mills on Tecmo Super Bowl :) I remember one season when he had like 200 yards on only 5 INTs. I think it was '91. The guy was awesome, so much so that Darren Perry and Curtis Deloatch did and do bring back memories of him whenever I would see them on the field.

>>>I think it was '91.

Ummm. I think you remember his stats. Did you see him play? Like in a real game, not a computer simulation based on his stats?

>>>I think it was '91.

Ummm. I think you remember his stats. Did you see him play? Like in a real game, not a computer simulation based on his stats?

No, I remember him too.... about as well as a 7, 8-year old could. But I remember good ol #39. Also got to meet him at some United Way thing thru the Hume Center.

Tyrone Leggette?

I remember when we drafted him, and they showed him doing some defensive back agility drill. Dude had the fastest backpedal to front charge I'd ever seen.

What about Jimmy Spencer?

Brett maxi and gene Atkins were awesome.

Yes Toast Cook was horrible, but so were alot of CBs. We throught them like hot knife through better. It was good thing we had an ubelieveable rush, or would had been expose!

uh oh, there must have been two "2-safety games"... I'd bet money on this one---I'll never forget that Browns game, trust me... Bruce Clark had Kosar for one (in the grasp)... and Maxie's hit produced the 2nd one.

Tell me more about your Niners game, maybe I'll remember it.

The Saints were down by 2 points with less than 5 minutes left and people were leaving. We went 3 and out and punted the ball deep. It was inside the 5 and I want to say it was Jumpy Geathers that banged in and sacked Montana for a safety. But the defense got us two points. They kicked off and our offense went 3 and out again with like 2 minutes left or less. Then we punted and pinned them back behind the 5 yard line. Next play or two the defense sacked Montana again for a safety. That was like 20 years ago. But then again I did see the Browns game also. But I could have sworn.
Maybe I am getting that "old timers" disease. Anyway those were the second and third game I have been to. That was a long time ago.

The Saints were down by 2 points with less than 5 minutes left and people were leaving. We went 3 and out and punted the ball deep. It was inside the 5 and I want to say it was Jumpy Geathers that banged in and sacked Montana for a safety. But the defense got us two points. They kicked off and our offense went 3 and out again with like 2 minutes left or less. Then we punted and pinned them back behind the 5 yard line. Next play or two the defense sacked Montana again for a safety. That was like 20 years ago. But then again I did see the Browns game also. But I could have sworn.
Maybe I am getting that "old timers" disease. Anyway those were the second and third game I have been to. That was a long time ago.

well, If Jumpy was in the game, but so was Montana, that puts it about... whatdya think......93??? I believe you. Wow. Only our guys could have TWO 2-safety games. Anybody else remember the games we're talking about????
Was this a Monday or Sunday nighter?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom