Anyone remember Brett Maxie.... (1 Viewer)

FELL TO THE DARK SIDE!!!! And you gotta know who Brett Maxie is if you are a Saints fan. He and Toi Cook shut the opponent's passing game down.

toi cook was garbage...

I used to think so too when I was younger because he didn't come up and stick people like Atkins would...but now as I get older I wonder if it was more a case of hime being our best cover guy and always getting matched up against the opponents best receiver.

Rememeber, we played the Rams, 49ers, and Falcons twice a year in Cook's day.

Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Flipper Anderson, Andre Rison, Michael Haynes.

Those are some pretty good receivers to cover.

Im going by memory here. Brett Maxie was #39 alongside Mean Gene Atkins. Yall mention CB's Toi Cook and Vince Buck, but I think Maxie even played with Waymer and Poe. Bum drafted him.

Besides numerous big hits and interceptions, long time fans will remember this: Season opener, I think '87... against Bernie Kosar & the Browns.... Browns were really good back then, just an Elway miracle away from the Super Bowl. 4th Quarter....Saints were up by a score, but the Browns were really scary on offense. So our punter (I think Brian Hansen) pins Cleveland inside the 5. Our defense rocked, as always. (A few minutes earlier, Bruce Clark had Kosar "in the grasp" in the endzone, and it was called a safety under the rules of the time.)

Third and long inside the 5 for the Browns. Guess what the Dome sounded like at that moment! So Kosar goes back, and Maxie comes blitzing from the blind side. Kosar never saw him--BAMMMMMM! Down goes Kosar, and out the back of the endzone goes the ball---SAFETY! The 2nd safety of the game. Not only do we score, but the Saints, of course, get to receive the free kick, which keeps it out of Kosar's dangerous hands. Game sealed! I think this was our first season opening win. It was definitely the 1st one for me.

So a few years later, (early 90s?) I managed to get to the field level in the Astrodome for a Saints v. Oilers match, during warmups. I recognized Maxie as he was nearby, "hi, arent you Brett Maxie?" He stopped to chat. (I think players who arent T.O. or Deion are impressed when you recognize them w/o their numbers on--which many Saints fans do regularly) Turns out his grandma lived across the lake from me on the Many, La. side of Toledo Bend. I think Hebert's wife is from the same area. He even went to college at TSU, here in Houston.

I told him I saw the Kosar play, (my brain just doesnt work sometimes--) I said, "you probably wont remember this but ...." His eyes widened, and his voice got kind of fake serious...."Ohhh, I remember it ....." It was funny.

So thats Brett Maxie. NFL class athlete and a nice guy. Someone should give him a ribbing about joining the Falcons.

Maxie enjoyed a 13-year career as a defensive back playing for New Orleans (1985-93), Atlanta (1994), Carolina (1995-96) and San Francisco (1997). He finished his career with 23 interceptions.as per the link.

God I hate all those teams he went to. I mean HATE them.

Im going by memory here. Brett Maxie was #39 alongside Mean Gene Atkins. Yall mention CB's Toi Cook and Vince Buck, but I think Maxie even played with Waymer and Poe. Bum drafted him.

Besides numerous big hits and interceptions, long time fans will remember this: Season opener, I think '87... against Bernie Kosar & the Browns.... Browns were really good back then, just an Elway miracle away from the Super Bowl. 4th Quarter....Saints were up by a score, but the Browns were really scary on offense. So our punter (I think Brian Hansen) pins Cleveland inside the 5. Our defense rocked, as always. (A few minutes earlier, Bruce Clark had Kosar "in the grasp" in the endzone, and it was called a safety under the rules of the time.)

Third and long inside the 5 for the Browns. Guess what the Dome sounded like at that moment! So Kosar goes back, and Maxie comes blitzing from the blind side. Kosar never saw him--BAMMMMMM! Down goes Kosar, and out the back of the endzone goes the ball---SAFETY! The 2nd safety of the game. Not only do we score, but the Saints, of course, get to receive the free kick, which keeps it out of Kosar's dangerous hands. Game sealed! I think this was our first season opening win. It was definitely the 1st one for me.

So a few years later, (early 90s?) I managed to get to the field level in the Astrodome for a Saints v. Oilers match, during warmups. I recognized Maxie as he was nearby, "hi, arent you Brett Maxie?" He stopped to chat. (I think players who arent T.O. or Deion are impressed when you recognize them w/o their numbers on--which many Saints fans do regularly) Turns out his grandma lived across the lake from me on the Many, La. side of Toledo Bend. I think Hebert's wife is from the same area. He even went to college at TSU, here in Houston.

I told him I saw the Kosar play, (my brain just doesnt work sometimes--) I said, "you probably wont remember this but ...." His eyes widened, and his voice got kind of fake serious...."Ohhh, I remember it ....." It was funny.

So thats Brett Maxie. NFL class athlete and a nice guy. Someone should give him a ribbing about joining the Falcons.

The 2 safety game was against the 49ers. I was there. Great game. Alot of people were leaving late in the game because we were down 3 points.

Yeah, the CBs were the weakest part of that defense.

The 2 safety game was against the 49ers. I was there. Great game. Alot of people were leaving late in the game because we were down 3 points.

uh oh, there must have been two "2-safety games"... I'd bet money on this one---I'll never forget that Browns game, trust me... Bruce Clark had Kosar for one (in the grasp)... and Maxie's hit produced the 2nd one.

Tell me more about your Niners game, maybe I'll remember it.

FS

Gene Atkins was the SS

Toi Cook and Vince Buck the CBs

Hmmmmm.. coulda' swore that Robert Massey was the other starting
corner and Vince ultimately became a safety after losing out to the
faster Massey.

NWSaint.

Maxie was the SS and Atkins the FS. Maxie went on to play for 49ers like Waymer did. Atkins left to play for Dolphins.

Vince Buck (a 2nd rounder) was one of my favourite, he was really a good CB before suffering that neck injury... I think he was mentionned as one of the best rookie. He had 5 int in his second season as a starter ! After his neck injury, he was then moved to FS for a year or two and then disappeared.... :(

Massey played a bit but had his best years as a Cards ! I think one season he had 3Tds on int return.

At that time, I remember we had a big CB that started one or two season, he was like 6-1 210, I just remember his last Name: Jones #27.

Last edited:
here is robert massey, he was a pro_bowler !!

Robert Massey joined the Blue Bears by ways of his alma-mater North Carolina Central University. In 2004, he served as the defensive backs coach during the Eagles 8-2 season. The previous year, when he joined their coaching staff, Massey was the receivers coach.
http://athletics.livingstone.edu/football/RobertMassey.htm

As a student-athlete at NC Central, Robert Massey became the Eagles third all-time career leader in interceptions during 1985-88. He served as team captain during his final two seasons at NCCU, earning All-CIAA recognition in 1987 and 1998 and receiving All-America honors as a senior. He was then drafted in the second round of the 1989 NFL Draft by the New Orleans Saints. In ’89, he was named to the 1989 All-Rookie Team. Massey was later selected to the 1992 Pro Bowl as a member of the Phoenix Cardinals.

In 1998, after ten seasons in the National Football League, Robert Massey retired from the NFL as a member of the New York Giants. He continued on with the team as an assistant defensive backs coach. Coach Massey returned to Durham, NC in 2001 to take over the football program at Hillside High School. During the Hornets second season under his leadership, he guided them to their first state playoff appearance in nine years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom