Anyone remember the old Genghis Khan Korean restaurant on Tulane? (1 Viewer)

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctorum
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If so:

1. Did you ever try it out? Or go there frequently?
  2. Did they serve bibimbap? If so, was it called that on the menu, or did it have an Americanized name, like "rice bowl" or something?

Trying to get the lay of the land of Korean food in New Orleans these days. Haven't had any since Genghis Khan closed. I know there is a popular place on Magazine Street and another one on Vets -- anyone ever been?

My wife is Korean and I absolutely love Korean food, but the pickings are slim in Louisiana. There was a fancy Korean restaurant in Lafayette many moons ago. Ate there once. Decent, but overpriced. Here in the DC area, there are some great options. And most are pretty authentic.

Not sure why a Korean restaurant would be named after a Mongolian ruler though. Seems weird to me.

I went once, and really enjoyed it. The owner would play violin. The location was not easy to get to or park. I would have probably gone more often if it were easier to get to. I was sorry to see it closed because it was so unique.

Sorry it was so long ago I don't remember if they served bibimbap. I do remember that one of their specialties was whole fish.

I went once, and really enjoyed it. The owner would play violin. The location was not easy to get to or park. I would have probably gone more often if it were easier to get to. I was sorry to see it closed because it was so unique.

Sorry it was so long ago I don't remember if they served bibimbap. I do remember that one of their specialties was whole fish.

There used to be a Chinese restaurant at the foot of the bridge going into Destin, FL that was owned by a little Korean lady. The food was incredible and they specialized in cooking your catch back before Destin turned into Beach Disney.

I wish there were more.

If so:

2. Did they serve bibimbap? If so, was it called that on the menu, or did it have an Americanized name, like "rice bowl" or something?

Trying to get the lay of the land of Korean food in New Orleans these days. Haven't had any since Genghis Khan closed. I know there is a popular place on Magazine Street and another one on Vets -- anyone ever been?
Went to GK. I do not recall it being traditional Korean. It was good though. I want to say it was 5 courses with a few choices. Owner did indeed play violin. Henry Lee?
Little Korea on Magazine is very good. They have bibimbap. It’s a little over priced but solid.

If so:

my parents used to go a lot and loved in (but mostly for the ambiance)
i went once and don't remember anything about the food

there is (or maybe was) a Korean place in Fat City and I went there with my koeran (2nd gen) ex, and she thought the food was pretty good and she's SUPER picky

my parents used to go a lot and loved in (but mostly for the ambiance)
i went once and don't remember anything about the food

there is (or maybe was) a Korean place in Fat City and I went there with my koeran (2nd gen) ex, and she thought the food was pretty good and she's SUPER picky

Lol, indeed. My wife is super picky as well. I always defer to her choices when it come to food. She rarely disappoints. :hihi:

Yes, when I was young. My mom's old boss was good friends with Mr Lee, the owner. He was also a member of the New Orleans Philharmonic Orchestra and played golf at the country club I worked at. Good thing the food nor his music resembled his golf game.

The ‘whole fish’ was amazing. As was the Mongolian Beef rolls. Blew my mind. Loved that place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom