Anyone remember the Saints traded down in the first? (1 Viewer)

We've traded down in later rounds a few times. We traded it of the second for Usama Young, traded down in the 2nd for Jeff Faine. I think Loomis traded down in the 2nd for Jon Stinchomb as well. Seems like there was another trade down or two in there for us.

Yeah I was kinda meaning 1st round picks.

Trades two 1st rounders to move down to draft Johnathan Sullivan...I think we traded them to Arizona who had a top 10 pick

images

We traded up and got Jammal Brown. We picked him in 2005, 13th pick.

** we actually traded down ** my bad.

We've traded down in later rounds a few times. We traded it of the second for Usama Young, traded down in the 2nd for Jeff Faine. I think Loomis traded down in the 2nd for Jon Stinchomb as well. Seems like there was another trade down or two in there for us.

Those were great trades. The trade for Faine was the best I can remember. Also in the 4th in 06, we traded down and got Hollis Thomas. Excellent trade.

Those were great trades. The trade for Faine was the best I can remember. Also in the 4th in 06, we traded down and got Hollis Thomas. Excellent trade.
I would venture that Hollis "The Tank" Thomas was our most important defensive addition that year. He gave us the big clogger in the middle we were missing. He was a highly over rated player that was a true delight to have on the team.

Hopefully we can come out of this years off-season with another delightful gap plugger that demands double teams in the middle.

Its been so long I can't think of a time

Heres my thinking...and people will possibly disagree but i think its sound.

This team is not known for trading down in the draft. History/Trends have shown that we will trade up for a player we covet but more than likely we are a team that stands put and takes the BPA. Were not a pick stockpiling team. Trends/Facts everything back that up so i cant argue that.

What i can argue is most trends reverse @ some point in time. The Detroit Lions and their curse, the NO Saints and not winning a SB, no team wining the SB after losing their last 3 games...etc etc.

The perfect storm is brewing for that trend to reset and go the opposite direction.

We need draft picks and like i always say...none of us are Saints Personell but a lot of us have common knowledge of football and we see and notice some of the same things.

1. Such a deep draft with no surefire talent. Meaning if we were to trade back the value of that pick and the players available would be somewhere i that same range. Whats the difference between Mingo@ 15 or Ogletree @ 22 or Alex Okafor@ 25? Sure most would say the ceilings of said players but there have been just as many players tht had high ceilings that amounted to nothing as their have been players that supposedly were safe picks and amounted to nothing.

2. Scheme switch. WE are in the middle of a significant shift in philosophy. While its not as big a shift as it could be going from a 4-3 to a 1gap 3-4 its still something to be concerned about. Spags probably had a point with the TALENT level of the guys here. We don't have 1 superstar on our defense. Some teams have 2 or 3 guys that teams have to gameplan around. As it stands on defense we have 0. Guys like that don't really make it to FA often so the best place to find them is the draft.

3. The length of the trend. This whole trading back thing that seems to be foreign to the saints has gone on for many years now. We've either stayed put or moved up for the longest now. Wouldn't this be the perfect year for that trend to start over? Like the guy who eats the #1 @ mcdonalds for 2 years and finally...one day.....he tries the #2. ITs going to happen...its bound to happen u just don't know when. However, the longer the better the chance.

We have holes...and we need picks and 5 in this draft isn't going to cut it. I think the team knows this and i think its why we've been scouting our ***** off.

Trading back seems almost inevitable right now

I wish it was inevitable to trade down but given the talent pool from 12 to 28 being fairly even it will be almost impossible to find someone wanting to move up.

I wish it was inevitable to trade down but given the talent pool from 12 to 28 being fairly even it will be almost impossible to find someone wanting to move up.

Yeah i feel you...but theres probably a chance that teams are still going to overvalue particular players. Geno Smith slides to us and a team may make the jump. The right OT/OG/LB slides to us and a team that covets him may be willing to move up.

I'm not saying we will trade up but i think if ANY team is willing....it should be a done deal.

Something to consider...with our recent success under Payton, we've been picking at the end of the 1st round mostly. That probably factors into our lack of trading down. Before Payton...eh, we obviously just didn't do the whole draft thing that well.

P.S. Who Dat

I would venture that Hollis "The Tank" Thomas was our most important defensive addition that year. He gave us the big clogger in the middle we were missing. He was a highly over rated player that was a true delight to have on the team.

Hopefully we can come out of this years off-season with another delightful gap plugger that demands double teams in the middle.

Hollis was a world class 'clogger' - he might not have been the greatest tackler in the world or the meanest most powerful defender but he was so huge it took running backs a couple of days to run around him.

Good to remember him - he was a quality signing and a quality guy

Yeah i feel you...but theres probably a chance that teams are still going to overvalue particular players. Geno Smith slides to us and a team may make the jump. The right OT/OG/LB slides to us and a team that covets him may be willing to move up.

I'm not saying we will trade up but i think if ANY team is willing....it should be a done deal.

If Geno Smith fell I could see it but if he's at 25 he will probably be there at 20 so a team could trade with Giants and give up less than we would want

This is all correct.

Correct me if i am wrong...but didnt we trade back in the draft that we got Grant and Stallworth in the first round? I seem to remember moving back a few spots and grabbing one of them....yes i know we had 2 1sts that year.

Coaches and GMs avoid this because they know that if they don't win now, they might not be around when those later picks are taken and developed and begin to contribute. Belichick and the Pats GM trade down because they have very very secure jobs and if they ever ran into trouble in New England, they would be the top candidates on the market. Payton is quite secure now with his extension, so maybe there is a higher chance we could trade down. Then again they may decide that Brees aging and backloaded salaries put us in a win now situation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom