Anyone remember the Saints traded down in the first? (1 Viewer)

Trades two 1st rounders to move down to draft Johnathan Sullivan...I think we traded them to Arizona who had a top 10 pick

It's been a while, but in 1994 I think they traded down 1 spot with the Jets. The Jets took CB Aaron Glenn (Texas A&M), and the Saints took Joe Johnson (Louisville).

20 years before that ... in 1974 ... they traded down a few spots with the Detroit Lions. The Lions moved up and took LB Ed O'Neill (Penn State), while the Saints took LB Rich Middleton (Ohio State). The team got OL Dave Thompson from the Lions for trading picks.

In '97 we traded back from the 2nd pick to the 10th when we took Naeole. I think all we got in return was Darryl Hobbs and a 4th round pick. That was Ditka's first draft. That's the last one I remember.

I think we got a 2nd rounder as well and took Tomich.

It's been a while, but in 1994 I think they traded down 1 spot with the Jets. The Jets took CB Aaron Glenn (Texas A&M), and the Saints took Joe Johnson (Louisville).

20 years before that ... in 1974 ... they traded down a few spots with the Detroit Lions. The Lions moved up and took LB Ed O'Neill (Penn State), while the Saints took LB Rich Middleton (Ohio State). The team got OL Dave Thompson from the Lions for trading picks.

Ed O'Neil out of Polk High? Once scored 4 TDs in a single game!

Ed O'Neil out of Polk High? Once scored 4 TDs in a single game!

Al_Bundy_Polk_High_costume-link.jpg

We've never traded down under Loomis, Payton and co. Trade up? Sure... But never down. So yeah It'd be a first under our current front office staff.

Wish the Saints would do it more, it seems to be the best option with the depth of the draft and the question marks surrounding some of the top prospects this year. It has worked out well in the past and conversely whenever the Saints have "reached" for a player by trading up it hasn't worked so well.

We've never traded down under Loomis, Payton and co. Trade up? Sure... But never down. So yeah It'd be a first under our current front office staff.

This. Which is why I never understand why so many people insist on it. Payton/Loomis just don't do it.

We've traded down in later rounds a few times. We traded it of the second for Usama Young, traded down in the 2nd for Jeff Faine. I think Loomis traded down in the 2nd for Jon Stinchomb as well. Seems like there was another trade down or two in there for us.

Here's the Ed O'Neil the Lions got when they switched places with the Saints in 1974 ... check out his Topps card w/the Lions. :plus-un2:

555297_1.jpg

front.jpg

If we were to trade down in this draft, then I feel like we will draft Alex Okafor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom