Anyone Remember Usama Young? (1 Viewer)

It's really impossible to know at this point. CBs are supposed to come into their own in their 2nd or 3rd season, so there's some reason to hope that Young will be better this year than he was last year.

There is also reason to hope that addressing our pass rush, and adding competent LBs, will aid our backfield enormously. If the safeties aren't biting on the run fake, then they provide better deep help, which makes the CBs job easier. So it's possible that David and Gay will be much better than we expect, if we get our pass rush up to speed.

Remember, we improved our run defense last year, but the cost to our pass defense was pretty heavy. This year it seems we are trying to fill in the players rather than trying to game the scheme. Hopefully, we'll see better numbers from Smith and Grant because they won't have to read and react, having confidence that Vilma and (hopefully) a better WLB can take up the slack. Add in the rotation possiblities with McCray, and it does look like the pass rush will be better. Better pass rush = better pass defense, even without big stars at CB.

I agree with you for the most part, but the improvement in our run D didn't come at a high price. The previous year we pretty much stunk against the big ball too. We just didn't play as well on O to cover those deficiencies. I suspect that we'll continue to improve against the run and with additional pressure on the QB, our DBs and, by extension, our D as a whole will improve.

Pickyhatoffnow.

I firmly believe Young is going to push David and Gay for a starting spot...at least until MM comes back.

OMG....we're going to have a Young Gay backfield all over the opposing team's Tight Ends!!!:tbhdance:

Since when did New Orleans relocate to SF??:ezbill:

What is the latest on his progress and ability to spell Gay and McKenzie? Does he fit in the Saints' future?
OK - I'll do my part...please pass this on to Mr. Usama Young to use as a cheat sheet.

M-C-K-E-N-Z-I-E

G-A-Y

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom