Anyone Remember Usama Young? (1 Viewer)

thailen

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
What is the latest on his progress and ability to spell Gay and McKenzie? Does he fit in the Saints' future?

I just hope Young takes Davids job and holds down the fort till MM can come back.

sure, I have him as my #3 friend on myspace ...

seriously, I hope he gets some more playing time this coming season.

What is the latest on his progress and ability to spell Gay and McKenzie? Does he fit in the Saints' future?

He should be able to spell Gay easily, only 3 letters. He might have a tougher time with Mckenzie.

It isn't that I doubt he can win and perform well at a starting job, it's just that I don't want to have to count on him doing that. I'd really prefer having someone who can immediately replace Mckenzie (hopefully only temporarily) without a lot of drop off, and then let Gay/David/Young/draft pick(s) compete for the other starting job. We'd then have great depth at CB, and when Mckenzie did come back we'd be even better off. I just don't see Mckenzie being able to play until MAYBE the post season, and even then I don't know how well he'll play.

The one option I know of that could possibly make this happen is for us to trade for Lito Shep. and have him be the guy who we can count on starting for Mckenzie without a lot of drop off. I'd be a LOT less worried about our CB situation then, because we'd have a healthy competition for the other CB spot and when Mckenzie eventually does come back, we'd have a shot at having two veteran pro bowl caliber corners, which is territory Saints fans aren't too familiar with.

Combine that with the upgrades we've made at LB and the added depth and possible upgrades we will have made in our front 4, and that will allow us to get away with having mediocre play at safety (especially FS) since they won't really have to be used in the box as much and with better corners, they won't be getting toasted all game long.

Young will most likely be starting this coming season. So i'd say he fits pretty nicely :9:

I think the guy will be starting next year, either in McKenzie spot or opposite him....I think he will be the corner we all think he will be.

It's really impossible to know at this point. CBs are supposed to come into their own in their 2nd or 3rd season, so there's some reason to hope that Young will be better this year than he was last year.

There is also reason to hope that addressing our pass rush, and adding competent LBs, will aid our backfield enormously. If the safeties aren't biting on the run fake, then they provide better deep help, which makes the CBs job easier. So it's possible that David and Gay will be much better than we expect, if we get our pass rush up to speed.

Remember, we improved our run defense last year, but the cost to our pass defense was pretty heavy. This year it seems we are trying to fill in the players rather than trying to game the scheme. Hopefully, we'll see better numbers from Smith and Grant because they won't have to read and react, having confidence that Vilma and (hopefully) a better WLB can take up the slack. Add in the rotation possiblities with McCray, and it does look like the pass rush will be better. Better pass rush = better pass defense, even without big stars at CB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom