Anyone selling a business? (1 Viewer)

ridgeben

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I have been looking for a while to invest in or buy an existing business and most of the stuff I see online is failed franchises. Anyone on here know of anything for sale? Or for that matter have a good idea of something to start?

Depends. Are you one of those guys that needs some kind of "verification" before cutting a check?

:p

If you're legitimately asking about advice on random businesses to buy or start on a football forum it's probably just best you pay someone to invest your money for you until you develop a solid plan.

From what I've seen/experienced....

If you are looking to buy/start a business simply because you want to run a business...you've got a long road ahead of you.

You should buy/start a business because that particular business is something you are crazy about, and you want to do it.

try loopnet.com look at whats out there and decide if any of those meet your wants/needs. Also google businesses for sale and more links will come up.

From what I've seen/experienced....

If you are looking to buy/start a business simply because you want to run a business...you've got a long road ahead of you.

You should buy/start a business because that particular business is something you are crazy about, and you want to do it.

I have to disagree. Jobs are done for money. Owning a business is something you do to make a living. It's not summer camp, but obviously it's better if the job is actually something you can enjoy. Still, buying a business because it's fun doesn't make much sense.

I'd rather buy and run a business because I can make it make money and then enjoy myself when I'm not working. jmho

I'm a Realtor as my second job. Not sure what and where you're looking for but I've got a bar and grill(with building) for sale in Amelia

I have to disagree. Jobs are done for money. Owning a business is something you do to make a living. It's not summer camp, but obviously it's better if the job is actually something you can enjoy. Still, buying a business because it's fun doesn't make much sense.

I would be willing to wager that if you compared the operations of businesses that were purchased/started by someone who said "I'm tired of working for someone else, I want to start my own business" and then bought/started the first business that was available to someone who said "Hey, I love doing this, and I think I can make money at it," and then purchased/started a businesses doing that....the results would show that the second category had better results, and less struggles.

An example is a friend of mine who was tired of working for someone else, so he purchased a business that someone was selling. He had taken one class at that business, and decided to buy the business. Two years later, the business (which had been open for over 20 years) is closed up, and creditors are hounding him and he's on the edge of bankruptcy. Why? Because he had no passion for that industry, and no drive to do that particular thing.

I would be willing to wager that if you compared the operations of businesses that were purchased/started by someone who said "I'm tired of working for someone else, I want to start my own business" and then bought/started the first business that was available to someone who said "Hey, I love doing this, and I think I can make money at it," and then purchased/started a businesses doing that....the results would show that the second category had better results, and less struggles.

An example is a friend of mine who was tired of working for someone else, so he purchased a business that someone was selling. He had taken one class at that business, and decided to buy the business. Two years later, the business (which had been open for over 20 years) is closed up, and creditors are hounding him and he's on the edge of bankruptcy. Why? Because he had no passion for that industry, and no drive to do that particular thing.

I get your point, but I like Saints games and expensive food. I like my kid to go to private school and wife to have as many god forsaken stupid shoes as she sees fit so I do what I have to do whether I feel like it or not. Still, like you said, I like what I do so it's far easier than being a coal miner.

I think you've described an ideal situation, but there are business opportunities out there for all sorts of things that are nobody's passion and pleasure, but still great business for those with the dedication, drive and skill to run them. And, lots of businesses fail because the owner says he lacks passion which, in reality, imho, is simply a lack of determination and/or skill.

I'd rather buy and run a business because I can make it make money and then enjoy myself when I'm not working. jmho

My interpretation of that post was that one should invest in a business that deals in a market that the owner knows and understands. Certainly, having a passion for that particular industry is also helpful...I agree that isn't a prerequisite, but I have to think one would be better off starting somewhere familiar.

Just look at poor old Danny O'Flaherty. Didn't know how to run a bar (or even run a business, for that matter) and he got robbed blind by his employees. Now he's basically a travelling Irish troubadour and, I believe, doing well for himself.

I think you've described an ideal situation, but there are business opportunities out there for all sorts of things that are nobody's passion and pleasure, but still great business for those with the dedication, drive and skill to run them. And, lots of businesses fail because the owner says he lacks passion which, in reality, imho, is simply a lack of determination and/or skill.

Well, if I saw someone selling their mom and pop winemaking business and decided "hey, they've been making money doing that, I'll buy it and I'll make money;" I'd likely be broke before I learned how to make wine and run the business end.

But, if I saw someone selling their cabinetmaking business, I could confidently buy that business because I know enough about woodworking (and have a passion for it), that I could focus on learning the business end, because I have enough familiarity with the operational end.

The only exception would be if you bought a franchise, because they typically come with the training on both the operational and business side....but, even then, if you buy a franchise that does something you don't necessarily like, it could be difficult.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you can't be successful if you just decide to buy the first business you see available...I'm saying that it's risky to invest your money that way.

Or to put it another way....let's take two scenarios, and you tell me which you think you'll be more successful at:

1) You start a business doing something you know well, and love doing.
2) I randomly pick a business and sell it to you.

I'm a Realtor as my second job. Not sure what and where you're looking for but I've got a bar and grill(with building) for sale in Amelia

If I wasn;t in OKC I would have interest in that...

I currently play the piano in a house of ill repute.
Obviously, a long line of success in this area of business services.
The owner is thinking of selling, and I need a place to play.
Would this fit your description of a business?

There's a cheap commercial tanning bed for sale on the bulletin board at the Cannery PJ's. :shrug:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom