Anyone sick of this Clemens coverage? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Any of you sick and tired of all this incessant covering of this Roger Clemens story?

It's all I hear about these days- Clemens this, Clemens that.

IMO, this story is getting almost as much, if not more, coverage than the Vick dogfighting story did in the Summer.

Well, it is the biggest sports story going these days. The guy is a certain 1st ballot HoFer, which you know is something sort of a rarity. Not many guys get in on the 1st ballot. The intrigue is the fact that he and McNamee have completely different accounts of what happened so someone has to be lying. Will one of them purger themself in front of Congress today?

Well, it is the biggest sports story going these days. The guy is a certain 1st ballot HoFer, which you know is something sort of a rarity. Not many guys get in on the 1st ballot. The intrigue is the fact that he and McNamee have completely different accounts of what happened so someone has to be lying. Will one of them purger themself in front of Congress today?

I agree with that for the most part- whether we like is a different story, but since he's one of the top 5 pitchers of all time on many lists, it probably merits the coverage. I think its a bit absurd that we have to have hearings in Congress about it. But I guess that they've created this pattern of inquiry now (when baseball refused to step up and handle it) so now they've got to keep at it, to be completely fair and diligent.

It is annoying though.

I agree with that for the most part- whether we like is a different story, but since he's one of the top 5 pitchers of all time on many lists, it probably merits the coverage. I think its a bit absurd that we have to have hearings in Congress about it. But I guess that they've created this pattern of inquiry now (when baseball refused to step up and handle it) so now they've got to keep at it, to be completely fair and diligent.

It is annoying though.

I wondered as well why it has to go before Congress and one of the answers I read is that since it was a Senator that conducted the investigation, and several players already testified before Congress that the precedent is set.

I wondered as well why it has to go before Congress and one of the answers I read is that since it was a Senator that conducted the investigation, and several players already testified before Congress that the precedent is set.

Yeah, that's what it is. It isn't that this particular accusation warrants a hearing, its just that its all part of the same inquiry. And all of this happened because it became very clear that baseball had no intention of doing anything about it.

Its pathetic that we have to have Congress on this when there should be far bigger concerns in Washington. That's on Selig IMO. Worst commissioner in the history of sports.

hearing anything about Clemens or baseball 'roid rage on the radio is the only thing that will make me change the station more quickly than hearing Rush Limbo's voice.

supercharge, as bad as Selig has become to many in MLB circles, you got to give the man his due. He resurrected the sport after the 1994 strike. that nearly put the league under. Yes it was a bit advantageous that he used or supposedly tolerated steroids in his reign as commissioner. But be honest people didn't the NFL have a very bad drug problem in the 70's and 80's especially with the Saints of the same time period. My God Muncie and George Rogers were cooked on cocaine all the time while they were here. Don Reese said it all in that 1983 SI article that exposed the drug epidemic in sports and in American culture. and is it not a bit too much gall to say that Pete Rozelle did not know about the problem back then in his league under his watch.

the NFL's popularity in the 70's and 80's had a negative side to it, their were drugs and maybe steroids too involved. Did Pete Rozele or Taglibue not know about it either. MLB is going through the same things now they went through back then.

I think Selig reign aas Commish has been average. He has had his bad things and his good things.

supercharge, as bad as Selig has become to many in MLB circles, you got to give the man his due. He resurrected the sport after the 1994 strike. that nearly put the league under. Yes it was a bit advantageous that he used or supposedly tolerated steroids in his reign as commissioner. But be honest people didn't the NFL have a very bad drug problem in the 70's and 80's especially with the Saints of the same time period. My God Muncie and George Rogers were cooked on cocaine all the time while they were here. Don Reese said it all in that 1983 SI article that exposed the drug epidemic in sports and in American culture. and is it not a bit too much gall to say that Pete Rozelle did not know about the problem back then in his league under his watch.

the NFL's popularity in the 70's and 80's had a negative side to it, their were drugs and maybe steroids too involved. Did Pete Rozele or Taglibue not know about it either. MLB is going through the same things now they went through back then.

Not trying to excuse the rampant drug use, there's never an excuse for that; however, any steroid use in the 70's and 80s has to be overlooked somewhat because steroids were still legal then. It was not until 1991 that they were made illegal in this country. In fact, until the late 70s/very early 80s when the horrible side effects started to become more generally known, most body builders used steroids regularly just like they took protein powder regularly. Most people, trainers included, didn't know how harmful they were then. Schwarzenegger says now he wishes they had known, but no one did.

Any of you sick and tired of all this incessant covering of this Roger Clemens story?

It's all I hear about these days- Clemens this, Clemens that.

IMO, this story is getting almost as much, if not more, coverage than the Vick dogfighting story did in the Summer.

No, I'm overjoyed to know that there is no double standard when it comes to athletes screwing up, no matter their race. And for the sake of not starting an argument, no, I'm not comparing dogfighting to steroid use.

Those are good points. But it isn't like Selig's only problem has been steroids. And I don't fully agree that he resurrected the sport after '94. In that same period, the NFL has seen huge growth, the NBA modest growth and Nascar has emerged as a big player in the world of sports entertainment. Sure, baseball came "back" to some extent, but what did Selig do besides declaring a tie in the 2002 All Star game (an all time low in my book - if you run out of pitchers you get someone else to throw- that's what happens in the NFL when you run out of QBs!) ? If standing idly by while juiced players made an embarassment of the sport and its record book just to get more viewers and hype counts as a resurrection, that sounds like a deal with the devil to me.

"Worst ever" was hyperbole, I admit. But I don't see much redemption in his leadership over the years.

Is it just me or are they using a completely different approach and verbiage when it comes to Clemens/McNamee compared to gov officials during questioning?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom